When will next iso file be released please?

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Montala

When will next iso file be released please?

Postby Montala » 02 Nov 2013 18:22

Hi,

This is my first post one here, so please be gentle with me!

I have only just 'found' SolydXK and after running a 'live' session on my desktop PC I like what I am seeing, and am seriously considering using it as a replacement for Kubuntu on my Intel i5 powered laptop.

Although I know you offer an ongoing update 'service' I have the misfortune to only have a relatively slow broadband connection available, and now that we are into November, I was hoping that a new monthly update, together with (hopefully) the release of a new iso file would shortly be made available.

Is the likely to be the case please?

zerozero

Re: When will next iso file be released please?

Postby zerozero » 02 Nov 2013 18:53

hello neighbor ;) welcome to the forum!
we will be releasing new updated isos (that will include november's update-pack) later on the second part of the month.
we will test and release the november UP first (if no major issues are found) and then test and release the new isos.
bliss of ignorance

Montala

Postby Montala » 02 Nov 2013 22:47

Thanks for the welcome, and for your reply.

If that is indeed the case I will probably hang on for another couple of weeks or so then, and wait and see what comes up!

I meant add before that SolydK is my personal choice, but with perhaps a slightly different desktop theme, possibly along the lines of Kubuntu.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 03 Nov 2013 02:09

i believe that you won't be disappointed with K ;)
as for the theme, the great advantage of kde is customization; change everything to your heart's content :ugeek:
bliss of ignorance

timber

Postby timber » 03 Nov 2013 04:29

Hi Montala,

Just wanted to welcome you to the SolydXK forums!
... and as ZZ says, "doubt you will be disappointed with K",
it's an excellent distro and I certainly am enjoying it a great deal!
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

DebianBoston

Postby DebianBoston » 03 Nov 2013 17:29

Straight up, Solyd is THE BEST distro ever made. I was an Ubuntu fanboi for years, I stood by them through everything, even the spyware lenses. But after the last long-term release I said "enough". Bloated, spyware, utter crap.

I left Ubuntu, found KDE, found SolydK, fell in love. All my workstations run Solyd now, and the XFCE edition is absolutely the best XFCE I've ever used. Granted, I still wish full disk encryption would come (hint hint ;)) but seroiusly, once you try Solyd the others just seem lame.

Rock solid, great support, great community, I am proud to support them. I don't know HOW you guys do it but THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Keep up the great work, we love you!

Nomen Nescio

Postby Nomen Nescio » 03 Nov 2013 22:52

Rock solid, great support, great community, I am proud to support them. I don't know HOW you guys do it but THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I second that.

Was able to run K on my old m200 portege, reinstalled it with its native os and now dualbooting it with SolydX and it actually flies again! Think it's a distro with a 'little love' in it.

On my desktop still multibooting but I was able to play Crysis 1 with playonlinux in SolydK.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 04 Nov 2013 12:08

DebianBoston wrote:Rock solid, great support, great community, I am proud to support them. I don't know HOW you guys do it but THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Yep - me too. It's about time to click the "Donate" button again.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 04 Nov 2013 13:53

I'm new to Linux, and jumped around for quite some time before discovering SolydXK. It's now my home. I still mess around with a few other distros (on the stable end of things) in an effort to increase my knowlege of Linux, but SolydXK is definitely home. We are so lucky to have Schoelje and zerozero, and all the folks who are working with Testing and Sid, in order to bring us SolydXK Production, the best distro I've seen. Period. There's this great community of nice people who know their stuff, and don't beat and bash newbies about the face and head. Not that anyone else does. Everyone knows that simply isn't done... [/PC]

They do things right here.

I could go on for hours, I'm afraid I've become a tad fanboy-ish where SolydXK is concerned, so I'll shut up now... :)

Kind Regards, and Welcome!

(Edited for spelling... :oops: )

DebianBoston

Postby DebianBoston » 04 Nov 2013 19:40

SolydXK is the best GNU/Linux distro ever made.

And, if I can just say one more "fanboy" statement please lol:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NEVER GET RID OF THE ROLLING RELEASE :)

I'm so happy Solyd is a rolling release distro. It's one of the main reasons I came to it. It's SO MUCH better than what other distros are doing. So, please don't stop rolling releases!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 04 Nov 2013 20:36

Not gonna happen DB, ya got nothing to worry about... :lol: Rolling is what makes SolydXK what it is. Schoelje, zero, and the others spend all that time banging their heads on Testing and Sid so we can have that superb Rolling Production release each month. Yup, I'm here to stay... :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”