Recently Installed Apps - Menu option.

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Montala

Recently Installed Apps - Menu option.

Postby Montala » 05 Nov 2013 12:48

Hi,

Another 'noob' question, I'm afraid!

When checking out another distro recently (Kubuntu I think it was) I noticed an additional menu option, which I believe came under 'Applications' giving me the option to view 'Recently Installed Applications' which I found very useful, as things are not always to be found where you expect them to be, and often seem to be called something else anyway!

However, when I went to check it out again just now (before posting on here) it was nowhere to be seen, so I guess it is possibly session specific, and doesn't appear again the next time you reboot.

Anyway, my question is... is that a standard Linux feature, and if so is it available in SolydK? If it is then can I have it always available, so that I can quickly find, and open, one of my new recently installed apps?

Perhaps there is a better way to achieve this, and if so I am open to suggestions... polite ones only of course, and no 'heavy stuff' please! ;)

Thanks. :)

TeaSwigger

Re: Recently Installed Apps - Menu option.

Postby TeaSwigger » 05 Nov 2013 21:40

Hello,

Yes there is such a feature. I don't know how long it's set to show recently installed stuff or if it's adjustable, but here's how to find the option to turn the feature on or off: If you right click the menu button, you should see an "Application Launcher menu settings" option. Click that. In the new window that pops up, you should see an "Options" in the left panel. That should bring up an option you can select for "Show recently installed."

Also note, when you right click the menu button, you should see an "Edit Applications..." option. This brings up KDE's excellent menu interface. You can easily move entries around, adjust names, icons, add or remove entries, all that. Very handy and well designed. I always end up going back to the simple olde-fashioned "classic menu" ("switch to classic menu" option when you right click the menu button) and customizing the menu in a way that makes it easy for me to remember what is where. :)
"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright" -Bill Withers

SolydK 64-bit - AMD Quad Core - 4GB RAM - accursed NVIDIA GeForce 5800 graphics - lovely ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound

Montala

Re: Recently Installed Apps - Menu option.

Postby Montala » 06 Nov 2013 16:24

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have had a look at the option you mentioned, and it would appear to be turned 'on' by default.

Unfortunately it doesn't look as if it is a permanent notification, so it doesn't show (for example) anything which was installed the previous day.

I am assuming that all additional apps or features which are installed will end up on a menu somewhere or another, although it isn't always immediately apparent where... well, not to me it isn't anyway!

Return to “Newbie Questions”