remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
kelly69
Posts: 10
Joined: 25 Nov 2013 00:16
Location: Saud Arabia

remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby kelly69 » 26 Nov 2013 13:17

Hello everyone,

I always tend to use different programs/windows with different language settings, especially when it comes to chatting with different people.

How to make KDE remember keyboard layout settings over the time?

what i mean is something like this, i took it from cinnamon desktop
Image

Thank you

User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby zerozero » 26 Nov 2013 16:23

it's curios, i could only find one hit with similar request but the answer is not satisfactory
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=98851
bliss of ignorance

User avatar
stelios
Posts: 128
Joined: 28 Feb 2013 21:31
Location: Athens

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby stelios » 26 Nov 2013 16:47

System settings->input devices->keyboard->layouts and you will find the setting (i think)you need. But it will not remember it for ever. It will simply allow you to change the keyboard layout individually for each application or window. So when you change the layout for one application, the change will affect that particular application only.

kelly69
Posts: 10
Joined: 25 Nov 2013 00:16
Location: Saud Arabia

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby kelly69 » 27 Nov 2013 01:08

OK guys i can deal with it but there is another problem i used "alt+shift" key to change between layouts

Image

only "alt+shift" on the left work, the write one does not work

kelly69
Posts: 10
Joined: 25 Nov 2013 00:16
Location: Saud Arabia

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby kelly69 » 27 Nov 2013 17:47

still can't use alt+shift on right of keyboard, Previously it works on both side with the Previous ISO, after i install the new one the problem comes.

i hope u guys understand me, sorry for my English it is not my native language.

User avatar
ane champenois
Posts: 1539
Joined: 24 Feb 2013 08:17
Location: Grands lacs Forêt d'Orient, France

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby ane champenois » 27 Nov 2013 21:01

kelly69 wrote:still can't use alt+shift on right of keyboard, Previously it works on both side with the Previous ISO, after i install the new one the problem comes.

i hope u guys understand me, sorry for my English it is not my native language.
Don't worry, I'm not english myself and you speak quite well for me! ;)
Hum...If I understand correctly, you installed this system (the one with problems) with the latest iso (201311), that's correct?
I've just installed a new system with the latest ISO (Xfce version for me) and natively, I have problem with the keyboard too (in US config instead of FR) :shock:
Strange...Perhaps is this a bug, but not sure: it must be tested by other users.
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

kelly69
Posts: 10
Joined: 25 Nov 2013 00:16
Location: Saud Arabia

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby kelly69 » 28 Nov 2013 04:14

ane champenois wrote:
kelly69 wrote:still can't use alt+shift on right of keyboard, Previously it works on both side with the Previous ISO, after i install the new one the problem comes.

i hope u guys understand me, sorry for my English it is not my native language.
Don't worry, I'm not english myself and you speak quite well for me! ;)
Hum...If I understand correctly, you installed this system (the one with problems) with the latest iso (201311), that's correct?
I've just installed a new system with the latest ISO (Xfce version for me) and natively, I have problem with the keyboard too (in US config instead of FR) :shock:
Strange...Perhaps is this a bug, but not sure: it must be tested by other users.
Thank you :)
absolutely right the problem with the latest iso (201311), the previous one i used it before with no problem at all
i don't know if it is a bug, BTW even when i tried another keys like "alt+ctrl" same problem

i think there is a problem with the iso itself because i also tried solydk 64 bit 201311 live and the problem still Exist

kelly69
Posts: 10
Joined: 25 Nov 2013 00:16
Location: Saud Arabia

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby kelly69 » 28 Nov 2013 09:28

i tried now the 32bit version of KDE, same problem in live mode

User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby zerozero » 28 Nov 2013 11:34

kelly
do you still have the previous iso with you? the 201309?
if you don't (for some reason) you can get it from here http://downloads.solydxk.nl/solydk/solydk64_201309.iso

1- you can test if with that older iso the keyboard switch works better than with the newer ones.
2- if it does you might be better install that one (the older one) use updatemanager to upgrade it and 8-) you have a fully up-to-date installation
bliss of ignorance

kelly69
Posts: 10
Joined: 25 Nov 2013 00:16
Location: Saud Arabia

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby kelly69 » 28 Nov 2013 14:03

Thank you zerozero

before i reinstall solydk i searched in google and i find the solution :) maybe it will help someone, it is just a command i put it at startup

Code: Select all

setxkbmap -option grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,lv3:ralt_alt
this command will enable both "alt"shift" keys, That's it

Edit : i forget to mention that i enable the second language in system settings - input devices - layouts - configure layouts - Add
then i run that command

User avatar
fleabus
Posts: 1227
Joined: 16 Sep 2013 04:24
Location: Winchester, VA USA

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby fleabus » 28 Nov 2013 16:17

kelly69 wrote:before i reinstall solydk i searched in google and i find the solution :) maybe it will help someone, it is just a command i put it at startup

Code: Select all

setxkbmap -option grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,lv3:ralt_alt
this command will enable both "alt"shift" keys, That's it
Good catch Kelly! :D

That's good to know, Thanks!

-- Dave the eternal noob

User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby zerozero » 28 Nov 2013 17:01

very good indeed 8-) well done!
bliss of ignorance

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 9396
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: remember keyboard layout for individual windows KDE

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Nov 2013 15:26

To make it stick, open /etc/default/keyboard and edit "XKBOPTIONS".
It should probably look something like:

Code: Select all

XKBOPTIONS="compose:ralt,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,lv3:ralt_alt"


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations


Return to “Newbie Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest