[CLOSED] A little question....

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
PRafael

[CLOSED] A little question....

Postby PRafael » 02 Dec 2013 17:22

I've installed SolidK and everithing went ok except a "little thing" :? that I, at first glance, supect that was a wrong configuration... well, my KDE system displays time in 24 hour format but my Linux hardware clock (hwclock) displays time in 12 hour format :?: . This appears, for instante, in kdm ( you see the time 12:24 AM, and should appear 12:24 ).
I've installed / and /home in different partitions. I've read some web information about doing a symlink between date and hwclock but...so far no luck.

Can anyone help on this? :mrgreen:

Best Regards

Paulo

EDIT: I think that, somehow the installation isn't ok. I have to reinstall SolidK, using the same parameters from the previous installation and now everything works fine. :?:

Txs to everyone that tried to help.

Regards

Paulo

EeePC 1011PX - 1Gb RAM - 320Gb HDU - SolidK 32 bit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ScottQuier

Re: A little question....

Postby ScottQuier » 02 Dec 2013 17:55

Paulo - Welcome to the forum!

If you are referring to the clock widget on the panel ....
  1. Right click on the clock
  2. Select clock properties (or some such, IIRC, this is the third option). This will open the properties dialog
  3. Near the bottom of that dialog, you will be able to set the format in which the time is displayed
  4. Click the "Apply" button and close the dialog
All should be good now.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

PRafael

Postby PRafael » 02 Dec 2013 18:10

ScottQuier wrote:Paulo - Welcome to the forum!

If you are referring to the clock widget on the panel ....
  1. Right click on the clock
  2. Select clock properties (or some such, IIRC, this is the third option). This will open the properties dialog
  3. Near the bottom of that dialog, you will be able to set the format in which the time is displayed
  4. Click the "Apply" button and close the dialog
All should be good now.

Hi Scott..txs for your time and help but no, it's not about the clock widget. I hope that this copy and past from my terminal make things more clear..

"paulo@eeepc-1011px ~ $ sudo su
[sudo] password for paulo:
eeepc-1011px paulo # date
Mon Dec 2 15:03:30 BRT 2013
eeepc-1011px paulo # hwclock
Mon 02 Dec 2013 03:03:35 PM BRT -0.754302 seconds
eeepc-1011px paulo # "

So, the time on the menu bar/clock widget is displayed in 24h format (15:03:03) but, for instance, the messages timestamp in Skype is like 03:03:35 PM (12H time display) and should be 15:03:03 (24H time display).

Again, txs for your help..and time.

Regards

Paulo

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 02 Dec 2013 20:34

PRafael wrote:
Hi Scott..txs for your time and help but no, it's not about the clock widget. I hope that this copy and past from my terminal make things more clear..

eeepc-1011px paulo # "

So, the time on the menu bar/clock widget is displayed in 24h format (15:03:03) but, for instance, the messages timestamp in Skype is like 03:03:35 PM (12H time display) and should be 15:03:03 (24H time display).

Regards

Paulo
OK, I think I understand what you are trying to get to. I'm not sure and maybe I'm missing something here, but the the times are all the same. The format is different, I can see that. Reading the man page for hwclock, there does not seem to be a option to change the output format. There is for 'date'.

I could be wrong (I'm still so new to Linux that .... well, we'll just leave it at that), but it seems to me that the time used/displayed/written by any other application (i.e., Skype), I would suggest that this is a something that should/needs to be configured on an application by application basis. I don't think there's a configuration file anywhere that will set the format for all applications on the system - that would require that all applications read that config file and use the information therein contained.

Anyway, I would love to see someone with a bit more experience add to this discussion and show/teach me where I'm wrong on this.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

PRafael

Postby PRafael » 02 Dec 2013 21:20

ScottQuier wrote:
PRafael wrote:

eeepc-1011px paulo # "

Regards

Paulo
OK, I think I understand what you are trying to get to. I'm not sure and maybe I'm missing something here, but the the times are all the same. The format is different, I can see that. Reading the man page for hwclock, there does not seem to be a option to change the output format. There is for 'date'.

I could be wrong (I'm still so new to Linux that .... well, we'll just leave it at that), but it seems to me that the time used/displayed/written by any other application (i.e., Skype), I would suggest that this is a something that should/needs to be configured on an application by application basis. I don't think there's a configuration file anywhere that will set the format for all applications on the system - that would require that all applications read that config file and use the information therein contained.

Anyway, I would love to see someone with a bit more experience add to this discussion and show/teach me where I'm wrong on this.
Hi Scott..again txs for your help...and time.

Below you will find the output of date and hwclock on my second SolidK machine.

computador@computador-infoway ~ $ sudo su
[sudo] password for computador:
computador-infoway computador # date
Seg Dez 2 18:08:17 BRT 2013
computador-infoway computador # hwclock
Seg 02 Dez 2013 18:07:35 BRT -0.272415 seconds
computador-infoway computador #

As you can see both times are displayed in the 24H format.. The only diferrence between this two machines, aside hardware, is that this one was been installed with one SolidK partition, meanning / and /home are in the same partition/disk. The other one, with the two time displays (24H and 12H), has the / directory in one partition and the /home directory in another aprtition (both on the same disk). So...I´m guessing that will be a PATH problem and/or a permission problem.

Also..the messages timestamps in Skype are ok...

Again.. txs for your time.

Regards

Paulo

Return to “Newbie Questions”