restore nouveau drivers!!!

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
killbubble

restore nouveau drivers!!!

Postby killbubble » 12 Dec 2013 23:24

Ready for my top notch annoying newbie question?
So... today i installed solydk, discovered it is absolutely the linux os i need yadayada ecc ecc i decided to install
Nvidia non free drivers (on my go 7500M i think..) for my laptod hp pavilion dv9000 since nouveau open drivers
Did not support kde opengl above 1.x version (so 2.x and 3.x...were transparent. In fact when i installed the os i had to go blind-mode into settings to switch to opengl. But this is not only on solydk, also latest kubuntu, , chakra...).
I installed the nvidia ones. Rebooted. As soon as i saw kde desktop a lot of stuff crashed leaving me with the startuo window where i hoped i could still
Switch drivers, but guess what my wifi wasnt connected yet (gotta love the wallet).
So. Recovery mode works fine. ALL i want to do is revert back to nouveau drivers with a simple (or some) command for the shell. and maybe remove nvidia ones just so the system never erroneously uses it instead of nouveau.
Can you help this ---noob---?
Thank you all in advance!! solydk is awesome and i can see a lot of effort is put into making it a cool stable debian rolling release with kde on top!, it just needs:
-a cooler desktop background picture :P
-mount package managet(?) (I like synaptic, but id like to use mount. Or both...i guess ill manually install it...)

fleabus

Re: restore nouveau drivers!!!

Postby fleabus » 13 Dec 2013 00:31

Hi killbubble, and welcome! :D

From a root terminal, this should get you back to the nouveau driver:

Code: Select all

# rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# rm /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia*
# rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
# apt-get purge nvidia*
# reboot
Hope it helps,

-- Dave

killbubble

Postby killbubble » 13 Dec 2013 15:52

Thank you! Worked like a charm! :))

107 mb of nvidia stuff to remove (see picture for package details here: http://i.imgur.com/NFWcNjZ.jpg )...
Also the blacklist-nouveau.conf file was not there.

Great! Also another thing...i don't want to bother you guys too much (i know noob questions can sometimes be frustrating), but when i upgraded the distro (new kernel and stuff...a lot of stuff...) i got a new selection in my grub2 menu (new and old kernel i guess). ive never actually had this problem since i usually jump from distro to distro. but since im thinking of settling down on this one, how can i remove not only the entry in the grub menu but also all old files (including all of the old kernel stuff) since the new kernel is working.
Perhaps just to know as future reference...i dont want to end up with 10 entries and 3gb of old stuff on my hdd...

Thank you for all your help!!!!

Ps- just in case you know, if you have nvidia graphics card, i have 4 available drivers
-nvidia
-xorg video nouveau
-xorg video fbdev
-xorg video vesa

If you have already experience on this, do you think i should stay with nouveau (which doesn't support opengl 2.x and 3.x) or use fbdev or vesa?

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 13 Dec 2013 15:59

killbubble wrote: but since im thinking of settling down on this one, how can i remove not only the entry in the grub menu but also all old files (including all of the old kernel stuff) since the new kernel is working.
Perhaps just to know as future reference...i dont want to end up with 10 entries and 3gb of old stuff on my hdd...

Thank you for all your help!!!!
Check out this thread --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1977

I found it by using the search box at the top of the forum and entering "kernel remove".

Easy - peazy :)
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

killbubble

Postby killbubble » 13 Dec 2013 16:07

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 13 Dec 2013 16:51

killbubble wrote:Ps- just in case you know, if you have nvidia graphics card, i have 4 available drivers
-nvidia
-xorg video nouveau
-xorg video fbdev
-xorg video vesa

If you have already experience on this, do you think i should stay with nouveau (which doesn't support opengl 2.x and 3.x) or use fbdev or vesa?
i think you should stay with nouveau. both vesa and fbdev are very basic drivers and won't give you any benefit over nouveau.
bliss of ignorance

kobros

Postby kobros » 13 Dec 2013 21:08

Nvidia nonfree drivers for the internal Nvidia Go 7600 in my HP Pavilion dv9000 do work, provided you use a correct nvidia version that was released for it. Anyway, they do/did in my 'stationary' laptop with Mepis on it, untill earlier this year.
["Stationary", because the very thin plastic pivoting pin for the screen broke off, which resulted in not being able to close and then successfully re-open the lid]. HP repair is too costly and the machine will soon be discarded. It's now used for various odd computerjobs....:-)

The excellent smxi script (see details at smxi.org ) offers (or offered, not sure, as I do not have other machines that have nvidia graphic chips in them) an excellent module for installing the proper(=older) nvidia release. Check it out.

More modern, current Nvidia versions are available, but won't work on the Go 7600 (and I guess neither on the 7500M).
Linux User #312596.
Mepis/Debian/antiX/MX/Win7

killbubble

Postby killbubble » 14 Dec 2013 14:45

kobros wrote:Nvidia nonfree drivers for the internal Nvidia Go 7600 in my HP Pavilion dv9000 do work, provided you use a correct nvidia version that was released for it. Anyway, they do/did in my 'stationary' laptop with Mepis on it, untill earlier this year.
["Stationary", because the very thin plastic pivoting pin for the screen broke off, which resulted in not being able to close and then successfully re-open the lid]. HP repair is too costly and the machine will soon be discarded. It's now used for various odd computerjobs....:-)

The excellent smxi script (see details at smxi.org ) offers (or offered, not sure, as I do not have other machines that have nvidia graphic chips in them) an excellent module for installing the proper(=older) nvidia release. Check it out.

More modern, current Nvidia versions are available, but won't work on the Go 7600 (and I guess neither on the 7500M).
Thanks a lot!! This smxi script looks cool, i will install later, it as soon as i have to time test stuff i'm not sure will crash my pc.\
After install, how does it work? Is it easy to uninstall from command line (and revert any driver install changes) in case i need to reboot in recovery mode?

Btw, i remember my pc also worked fine with kde not too long ago (6 months ago, maybe more), but now all operating systems with latest kde (like i said kubuntu, opensuse, solydk, chakra, are the ones i tried) support automatically give me problems because of opengl. i don't remember ever having to ensure this sort of graphics driver compatibility on kde in the part though.....

kobros

Postby kobros » 14 Dec 2013 15:21

Yes, installing (and removing, in case you want to get rid of it) is dead easy:

http://smxi.org/site/install.htm

It's the same site that provides the inxi script which is probably the most used script to provide inf on installed hardware (also on this forum)

read a bit first - this provides some details on the sgfxi module of smxi that takes care of the correct nvidia driver for Nvidia graphics card.

http://smxi.org/docs/sgfxi-manual.htm
Linux User #312596.
Mepis/Debian/antiX/MX/Win7

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 06 Jan 2014 16:35

fleabus wrote:Hi killbubble, and welcome! :D

From a root terminal, this should get you back to the nouveau driver:

Code: Select all

# rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# rm /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia*
# rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
# apt-get purge nvidia*
# reboot
Hope it helps,

-- Dave
Thanks ever so much, worked for me too! :D Just for a point of information, "blacklist-nouveau.conf not found" but it still worked anyway. Now I may not have to do a complete re-install after all, at least not for now, give it some time, I tend to mess around too much, lol. :shock: ;) I will tell you one thing, I've messed up a lot of other distro installs way faster than this, SolydK is putting up with a lot of my 'nonsense', lol. :o
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

Return to “Newbie Questions”