Steam solydxk (debian)

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
bradsha

Steam solydxk (debian)

Postby bradsha » 31 Mar 2013 21:09

Hey does anyone know if steam works under debian i was able to install it by this package https://github.com/GhostSquad57/Steam-I ... for-Wheezy but i was wondering if the drivers are to out of date on debian to play on steam ? Thanks in advance cracking distro! btw hope it keeps going :D

zerozero

Re: Steam solydxk (debian)

Postby zerozero » 31 Mar 2013 21:40

it is working in SolydXK http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=261
will be available to all our users in the 6th of april.

re: drivers, it all depends on your graphics card and the drivers you have installed.

share the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
bliss of ignorance

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 31 Mar 2013 22:13

I had originally installed steam using the kanotix installer (which I believe functions similarly to that installer), and I was able to "upgrade" to SolydXK's steam-installer/steam-launcher packages. I didn't have to reinstall any games, so the upgrade was quite painless.

It is possible the installers will conflict (I've never used that installer so I don't know). I don't know if there's a steam for debian remover... My guess is the SolydXK installer would overwrite what the steam for wheezy installer did. I'd be curious to hear how the upgrade went, though.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

bradsha

Postby bradsha » 31 Mar 2013 22:23

zerozero wrote:it is working in SolydXK http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=261
will be available to all our users in the 6th of april.

re: drivers, it all depends on your graphics card and the drivers you have installed.

share the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Thanks ! but I have a up to date card but i thought that you needed the 310 or 313 nvidia drivers to play source games on Ubuntu ? it did when it was asked to upgrade by steam, the stable 3.04 driver that i got here on my system witch i got from the repos i was wondering if the drivers to old to play these games ? Thanks for the link to the steam installer it looks interesting :D

@cwwgateway Did ether of you try the new steam installer does it work flawlessly ? i was thinking of trying it out but i gotta remove my old steam installation first tho i think :mrgreen:

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 31 Mar 2013 23:14

I have used the SolydXK steam-installer, and it worked fine for me. I have a rather complicated setup (NVIDIA Optimus), so I'm still trying to figure out how the driver situation works (specifically how to run games with my NVIDIA card). I'm running the 313.26 drivers from Debian Experimental (installed normally through apt), so I can't help with the 304 vs >=310 problem. If you do have problems with source games, you can install the NVIDIA drivers from Debian Experimental if you want. I own Counter Strike Source, but I haven't played it yet. We'll have to find someone with an NVIDIA card running the 304 drivers who owns a source game to try it.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing