201401 perfect, but Update Manager 201405 crashed 3 systems

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
linuxdistro

201401 perfect, but Update Manager 201405 crashed 3 systems

Postby linuxdistro » 05 May 2014 02:17

Distro: SolydX32

I have been running 201401 on a HP P4 laptop, Asus i5 desktop, Asus i7 desktop perfectly (Solydx32 only OS on each system.) Accessing Windows shares over WiFi (Hidden SSID) to Vista Home 64, Win7 64 pro and Win 7 Home premium works great; file share works flawlessly both ways. Hibernation and sleep function work, VLC video, internet smooth, YouTube, Pandora, OpenOffice 4.1 and etc.

Decided to finally allow the updates start in update manager last night but on each system the updates after 83-87% hang, gray out the panel or lock up; waiting 1 hour for them to finish or move on failed to produce results and restarting the system crashes the system though you can log in, most software in-operable and network down. I am new to SolydXK and now Leary of the "update system" in this distro.

Downloaded 201405 SolydX32 ISO install was smooth, but now all WiFi(s) need manually connecting every-time you restart the system: WiFi log-in is saved properly, but you must click "connect to hidden WiFi-Network" and select the saved profile each time, after-which WiFi works properly. DDM shows an update driver, shows it downloads and installs, prompts for a restart to start the new driver, but each time the driver shows it is still needs updating.

DDM Hardware notice:
Broadcomm Corporation BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless Lan Controller (rev 03)

Actived driver:
firmware-b43-installer 1:018-2

zerozero

Re: 201401 perfect, but Update Manager 201405 crashed 3 syst

Postby zerozero » 05 May 2014 09:59

Hi linuxdistro, welcome to the Forums.

something i didn't understand from your post (sorry :oops: ): do you still have the old systems installed or they were replaced by the new installation done last night?
bliss of ignorance

linuxdistro

Postby linuxdistro » 06 May 2014 19:13

Hello and thank your for taking the time to stop by and reply: I had the 201401 SolydX-32 Iso installed from the website download package and did a complete partitions delete and setup for Linux from a previous XP Windows as follows (3Gb swap, 15GB root and 60Gb Home as per the video on SolydXK.com.) This install worked beautifully and restored my desire to get back to Linux after a 10 year break due to the overwhelming issues with it in the past. I would love to see a revolution of Linux being just as viable to software and hardware vendors so people can have other choices other than closed-ware (Microsoft.)

As stated I ran the Update manager on the May update packages and that is where things went down hill. Next downloaded 201405 (XFCE version) ISO off SolydXK.com, wiped all partitions and did a ground up full install; I figured to resolve this issue with all 3 PCs by wiping the drives, re-installing again, but this distro was sloppy compared to the "401" and problems were not worth fixing: Once again on all 3 PCs I wiped all partitions (good for practice, bad for time, unsure how Linux does drive partitions) and fulling re-setup "401 distro" and it's working great like before, but, this time I decided to keep a good backup like we all should and I hadn't which cost me and burned my butt.

I am in the process of learning DD and Clonezilla. As I can tell on the forums I am not the only one this update screwed things up so I will for-go using the update manager in the future all-together until re-learning the terminal way of life in the Linux environment and trust no changes I cannot truly do my self manually. Failures on this many computers has a tendency to create a confidence issue with the product and builds a tenancy to avoid the same mistake twice (bad business); what the Linux world never seems to get, like in the past; if its a hassle to keep the thing working they chase off, loose and teach new comers to Linux is not worth it and stay with Microsoft. I however have 3 PCs to play with and will give it a go.

linuxdistro

Postby linuxdistro » 06 May 2014 19:34

Further: This distro I am pleased with and love how well it works: Many thanks go out to the team working on this distro.

I tried Ubuntu; canned it due to NSA.

Tried LXLE and Mint; like this Solyd distro KDE and XFCE the best. I am currently running at the office CentOS 6.5 on a Asus Z9PA-D8 with x2 Xeon E5-2620 v2 , 32 GB ram x2 (64) and virtualized Windows Server 2000 and 2003r2Std due to old databases unable to be updated but necessary to maintain. Still learning my way around the terminal and it's commands plus "howtos." Have several Win Server 2008 & 2012, but transferring as many functions to CentOS I can to get away from Closed-Ware Costs.

Before someone says "why so much ram!" Well total reduction of swap access for starters, allows me to add more services such as virtual desktops, thin-clients, many more server functions and services as need in the future without going to the store for more ram and CPUs. In the medical industry data outgrows servers sooner than planned and replacement cost out ways what they're willing to pay out for a new one, so let's just keep the old slow one is the norm and make due until we absolutely have to upgrade: However I always build in 4x(+) the server size needed which means 6+ years later this server is still viable to keep using without degradation of performance overall..

B-dub

Postby B-dub » 12 May 2014 20:53

linuxdistro wrote:Distro: SolydX32

Decided to finally allow the updates start in update manager last night but on each system the updates after 83-87% hang, gray out the panel or lock up; waiting 1 hour for them to finish or move on failed to produce results and restarting the system crashes the system though you can log in, most software in-operable and network down. I am new to SolydXK and now Leary of the "update system" in this distro.
I am having the same problem, though I have not tried rebooting yet. I closed the UM window after it froze and tried to restart from both the tray and Menu. I see a very brief flicker of activity, but no window that stays open. Task manager shows nothing using CPU activity except 'lxtask' itself and as far as I can tell, nothing is being downlaoded. Like the OP, 201401 SolydX-64 was working fine for me and I used the updater to install the latest updater version prior to starting the 201405 update. It got about 42% of the way through before freezing and then going gray.
Core2Duo Notebook PC w/ 3GB RAM running SolydX HE since 5/2014

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 May 2014 21:55

if you didn't reboot yet, better.
open the terminal and

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
bliss of ignorance

B-dub

Postby B-dub » 13 May 2014 15:41

Many thanks, was able to complete the update and all seems to be working fine.
Core2Duo Notebook PC w/ 3GB RAM running SolydX HE since 5/2014

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 13 May 2014 23:31

glad i could help ;)
bliss of ignorance

Return to “Newbie Questions”