Trouble playing Audio CDs

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Rocky

Trouble playing Audio CDs

Postby Rocky » 07 May 2014 08:10

Installed from 201405 ISO

Cannot get Audio Cd's to play.

In Exaile get and error message:

Code: Select all

Playback error encountered ! uridecodebin1

In VLC error message:
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///dev/cdrom1'. Check the log for details.
I am probably missing something very basic :?

Rocky
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

zerozero

Re: Trouble playing Audio CDs

Postby zerozero » 07 May 2014 10:29

in VLC

Tools > preferences > imput/codecs > optical drives
change the value to what you get as the DVD drive identification from the

sudo parted -l
output.

[it is sr0 in my system]
bliss of ignorance

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 07 May 2014 16:17

Thanks zerozero ,

VLC working now- your diagnosis was spot on. Initially there was no sound but it seems the master was muted and when I unmuted it all is fine ( double click on speaker icon in lower right of bottom panel) .

I wouldn't have tracked this down by myself ( at least not in a reasonable time) . Any idea why it was defaulting to cdda:///dev/cdrom1 ?

Rocky

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 07 May 2014 16:50

as far as i can tell that is the default VLC uses and for some time already; similar issues are reported in several places.
bliss of ignorance

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 12 May 2014 00:20

Forgive my ignorance but what is the function of exaile ? Despite googling re the error in OP I have been unable to get it working.

Since VLC , now working thanks to help from zerozero, can play Audio files etc why also include Exaile ?

On a more general point are these issues with Exaile and VLC a result of taking packages from Debian testing ? Or is there an issue integrating the packages to Solydx ?

Rocky

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 May 2014 00:33

Rocky wrote:Since VLC , now working thanks to help from zerozero, can play Audio files etc why also include Exaile ?
if you are satisfied with VLC ant it can do all you need, you can remove exaile;
no problems.
bliss of ignorance

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 12 May 2014 22:34

zerozero wrote:
Rocky wrote:Since VLC , now working thanks to help from zerozero, can play Audio files etc why also include Exaile ?
if you are satisfied with VLC ant it can do all you need, you can remove exaile;
no problems.
I hear what you are saying but at the risk of trying your seemingly endless (?) patience I would prefer to try to fix , the problem ( not so much to get Exaile working for itself but to understand a bit more about Linux/Debian etc). The snag is I don't know where to start looking :(

Slightly off topic, I can see that most of the replies on the forum are from a relatively small number of people (yourself, Scott, Fleabus, Schoelje and a few others) . I wish I could help in some way but my level of knowledge at the minute is simply not sufficient to do so. I can see also that Schoelje ( from some of his recent posts) is obviously putting in a lot of time on SolydXK and must be feeling the strain . Maybe a few teams could be organised to share the load, eg Forum, Website, Testing, Promotion etc ? Apologies in advance if I am speaking out of turn - I will happily edit this paragraph out if you feel I should.

Rocky

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 12 May 2014 23:03

I would suggest ripping all of your music CDs into MP3 format and play the MP3s. Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions for a good CD music ripper in Linux. I haven't made the time to find one. I currently use EZ CD Audio Converter under Windows 7 for my CD ripping, music file conversion, and tagging needs. It costs money, but comes with a lifetime license.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

crborga

Postby crborga » 13 May 2014 02:04

Ruby Ripper is pretty good but takes a little patience to set it up. It's in the repository as well. As far as the cd support of Exaile, i'm not much help. Most of my music is ripped to my hard drive and I use Pithos for Pandora allot.

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 13 May 2014 03:30

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/gnome/sound-juicer

Just posting because I am a XFCE user. I don't need it on my netbook since I have no drive in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCnnYKP-Kl4

SolyDK users need nothing special in KDE

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-ripp ... 3b-rip-cd/

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 13 May 2014 19:07

Thanks guys,

Beginning to understand - Exaile is geared towards managing a collection of music files ( preferably in mp3 format ) ? . VLC is more geared to playing actual media ,eg cd/DVD etc , also downloaded video etc. There is some crossover in functionality - hence zerozero's suggestion to me to remove Exaile if I did not need it - which I probably will do now.

Before I arrived at Solydx I came across Audacious and found it easy to use/understand - I may try installing it .

Ah! Decisions, decisions :?

Rocky

crborga

Postby crborga » 13 May 2014 19:48

Yeah I would try Audacious, it should be in the repository.

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 14 May 2014 00:40

Guayadeque and Clementine are nice audio players/music library managers. I believe both will play CDs as well. Both also allow you to add radio stations for streaming music sites. Clementine even has a pre-built list of sites, one of which is really good...Digitally Imported.

Clementine comes with SolydX and Guayadeque is in the repos.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

crborga

Postby crborga » 15 May 2014 00:23

MoldMe wrote:Guayadeque and Clementine are nice audio players/music library managers. I believe both will play CDs as well. Both also allow you to add radio stations for streaming music sites. Clementine even has a pre-built list of sites, one of which is really good...Digitally Imported.

Clementine comes with SolydX and Guayadeque is in the repos.
Yeah Clementine is a very good player. I've used it under Linux and Windows.

Digger

Postby Digger » 16 May 2014 01:30

I have great luck with Audacious as my main music player. You can just play a cd or drag and drop from your music collection and Rock On !

Best of luck

crborga

Postby crborga » 16 May 2014 02:07

one great thing about linux is the freedom of choice

Return to “Newbie Questions”