Video Streaming

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Paulh

Video Streaming

Postby Paulh » 07 Jul 2014 15:08

OK, here's the setup.
Desktop PC running (at the moment) Xubuntu 14.04, external USB HDD, shares setup for videos.
Laptop running (sorry) Windows 7, accesses the share and plays videos through VLC nicely.
Second laptop, with Solydx, accesses the share, but VLC throws an error, suggesting checking the log files, which don't exist.
Has anyone managed to do this or can point me in the correct direction?
Thanks all

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
-Mark Twain

wayne

Re: Video Streaming

Postby wayne » 07 Jul 2014 15:59

try install gvfs-fuse and add your_login_name to fuse

read this thread
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=gvfs

Paulh

Postby Paulh » 08 Jul 2014 18:44

Thanks for the suggestion, same problem occurs :(

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
-Mark Twain

yoast

Postby yoast » 08 Jul 2014 18:58

I do the same from a NAS, rather than a PC. I have found the gvfs connections to be less reliable than SMB-cifs connections. I have also found that for media wired is still noticeably more reliable than WiFi.

I simply set up mounts in FSTAB with a .smbcredentials file there is plenty of help on how to do that available online. googling on .smbcredentials is easy. One advantage is that mount -a will try to reconnect all mounts in FSTAB so, if the PC is started up you can quickly run that line to reconnect to 1 or more shares.

I have had the NAS (a seagte one running a dressed-down Fedora 15) running for months without interruption, supporting SMB for several Win PCs and mediaplayers/mediarecorders.

Hope this helps,
Y.

Paulh

Postby Paulh » 09 Jul 2014 06:50

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can access the drive via smb and see the files there, it's only when I try and play one through VLC that it fails :(

-Mark Twain

yoast

Postby yoast » 09 Jul 2014 10:06

Does VLC fail immediately and refuse to play? Or is it just not stable and VLC often suddenly stops?

I used to play via Gigolo (which is fine for most documents etc. and appears stable), but found that if you use a lot of IO-intensive applications (video watching and particularly video editing) it crashes much more often than the same disk when CIFS mounted.

After too many wobblies I abandoned gvfs for most uses and switched to FSTAB and it has been incredibly stable since. For video editing I will also avoid WiFi, though. WiFi does nto fail often, but for editing the amount of work to recover is just too much.

just my 2c,
Y.

Paulh

Postby Paulh » 09 Jul 2014 16:00

VLC fails immediately, I've also tried Dragon, which doesn't give any errors, just does nothing :(

-Mark Twain

Return to “Newbie Questions”