How Do I Rollback a Video Driver

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Lazy8

How Do I Rollback a Video Driver

Postby Lazy8 » 09 Aug 2014 04:56

I installed a new ATI board, and it worked (SolydK recognized the board and installed a working driver).
But then when I ran the device driver manager it recommended a proprietary driver, so I installed it.
After booting, I've never been able to see a desktop again.

How do I revert back to my original working ATI driver?
Or do I have to re-install the entire OS again?

Thanks!

Deleted User 2767

Re: How Do I Rollback a Video Driver

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 09 Aug 2014 15:02

Lazy8 wrote: How do I revert back to my original working ATI driver? Or do I have to re-install the entire OS again?
Howdy! If you can hold off on re-installing the os for a while - until some of the experts here can get around to you... In the meantime, I am wondering why the DDM does not give you the option of choosing the driver? Have you checked that?

If so, then from past experience it is a matter of un- and re-installing the drivers, which will require reboot, but should require re-installing the os. We know that Solydx has the driver; you said it found the new board and all was well (I most often follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule - unless curiousity just gets the best of me).

Not much help, but I hate to see you go through a potentially unnecessary os re-install.

Lazy8

Postby Lazy8 » 09 Aug 2014 20:30

I am wondering why the DDM does not give you the option of choosing the driver? Have you checked that?
I wrote...
when I ran the device driver manager it recommended a proprietary driver, so I installed it.
I did use the DDM to choose the driver that IT RECOMMENDED. But AFTER installing the DDM's recommended driver I was never able to get a desktop again. There's no desktop, so there's no way to run the DDM (again) to select the previously working driver.

I've been through this excercise before with Mint on that same computer, but using the original onboard nVidia card. Actually, I tried 5 variations of Mint and SolydK (my last install), and none would work with that onboard nVidia card so I bought a new ATI card. Upon booting for the first time SolydK was able to auto-detect the card and install a working driver.

But the DDM recommended yet another proproprietary driver, so I trusted the DDM's recommendation (made that mistake with Mint before). This broke the system.

With Linux (any, it seems), you really do need to subscribe to the adage, "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it". I've trusted the DDM twice, and each time I was forced to reinstall. Yes, I used forums to the nth degree, and while everyone was wonderful about trying to help, once a bad video driver gets installed, there's really no solution other than to re-install.

So I re-installed. That took a very short time and minimal effort. Experience has taught me that trying to "fix" a bad video driver install can take well OVER A WEEK with no solution. It's MUCH SMARTER to just re-install. And I won't trust the DDM again for "recommended" video drivers. It's proven to never work, and will only require an complete re-install. This is a major shortcoming for Linux that will keep its usage very narrow.

I have Linux installed, and working, on 6 computers. I love Linux Mint (mostly Cinnamon), but so far SolydX is the absolute best Linux for older laptops. That's why I now have SolydK installed on a desktop with better resources.

If anyone is looking for a rock-solid Linux to run on older XP machines with no more than 2 Gb's of RAM, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SolydX. I believe that I'm going to find SolydK to also be the best. I loved Mint, but SolydXK is turning out to be better.

Thanks for your help!

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 09 Aug 2014 21:05

Glad you were able to get the shiny side back up! And "ditto" on Solydxk!

disciple1964

Postby disciple1964 » 09 Aug 2014 22:56

Hello Lazy8,

I would like to know if you have plymouth installed. if so, that will cause you to have a black screen. Sometimes the drivers do not uninstall correctly and this can also give you problems. Please post information from this command:

inxi -Fzx

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

wayne

Postby wayne » 10 Aug 2014 00:43

After booting, I've never been able to see a desktop again.

How do I revert back to my original working ATI driver?
Or do I have to re-install the entire OS again?
Lazy8 wrote:
But the DDM recommended yet another proproprietary driver, so I trusted the DDM's recommendation (made that mistake with Mint before). This broke the system.

, once a bad video driver gets installed, there's really no solution other than to re-install.

And I won't trust the DDM again for "recommended" video drivers.

After reading your lenghty stuff on proprietary driver, I just wish to make some comments .

I have quite a few old comps, and mostly ATI: legacy 9000, legacy HD3000, legacy firepro, HD5450, HD6470M, etc

After burning enough, I learned how to survive a BSOD after a new attempt to install proprietary driver.
So, I sort of expect to have BSOD to start with, and thus eventually arrived at a quick rescue method.
However I am not like you, your method is reinstall from fresh.

I have two method:
1. create clone or backup of partition OS with working fglrx, so as to have a restore path.
2. learn the trick of how to return to the working OS with the original, radeon drive.

I have posted quite some on fglrx installation, just search you can find them in this forum.
To summarise I have tested quite a few methods:
a. use distros specific method, in this case is DDM
b. use Debian method, very lenghty process. but covered in wiki,
c. smxi / sgfxi method
d. AMD's ati-installer method, directly from amd website,
for modern ati card HD5xxx,6xxx,7xxx I used mostly d. and second most c. both method allow me to choose the version of fglrx.
whereas for legacy I have to use Debian wiki because fglrx was in Wheezy backport which worked very well. However most modern distros did not support them any more.

OK, here I copy what I have written on hard copy in my paper notebook, it always works for me :mrgreen:

If installation of fglrx leads to BSOD, just get back to the radeon driver with these steps
Boot and on grub menu select recovery mode, so I could boot into a console, that is without graphic.
on the console, type these codes

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon
and if there is no error, reboot, it should now run without fglrx and should have a working radeon driver.

Lazy8

Postby Lazy8 » 10 Aug 2014 05:02

Thanks for the procedure! I'll try that next time I have a similar issue. Re-installing was very quick and easy.

These solutions are not commonly known, and one usually has to get lucky to find them. In the case of the issue that I had with Mint, there were many experts, and each was giving different suggestions. I eventually realized that re-installing was my only reasonable option as this was going on almost two weeks. Towards the end I found that others in the Mint forums were having the exact same problem as me with the exact same PC's. No one had ever found a usable solution.

I'm simply not willing to waste days and weeks to get basic functionality working. This is what makes sense for someone like me with just over a months worth of experience with Linux. Thus far 3 different HP computers (1 desktop and 2 laptops) have had video driver issues. There was no solution for the desktop, so I just bought a new video card and abandoned Mint completely on that machine. Because all HP machines had onboard nVidia video graphics, I bought an ATI.

Thanks again! I'm certain that I'll employ your recipe in the future. It seems that getting Linux to install requires a bit of luck.

patzy

Postby patzy » 11 Aug 2014 04:30

I had the black screen trouble with nvidia after using sgfxi (it always worked for me before). :o And plymouth was not enabled.
I found that reinstalling is the quickest and easiest way to go - providing that /home is on a separate partition!

Return to “Newbie Questions”