Trimming /var

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Albert

Trimming /var

Postby Albert » 14 Mar 2015 19:01

My /var dir is over 4G. Most of that is /backup. Can anything there be safely deleted? If not, I have an empty partition in front of SolydX; Can GParted be used to expand the SolydX partition backwards to use that?

kurotsugi

Re: Trimming /var

Postby kurotsugi » 14 Mar 2015 20:14

first of all, you can check the content of /var/backup find 'who' did create them. as a comparison, my /var/backup is only 14MB. you can deactivate 'who' create the content of /var/backup and delete the files created by them. secondly, execute 'sudo apt-get clean' to delete apt cache. it depends on how much cache stored by apt but I usually got ~1gb free space. thirdly, you can delete the log files to get more free space.
If not, I have an empty partition in front of SolydX; Can GParted be used to expand the SolydX partition backwards to use that?
modifying a partition could be dangerous. instead of modify the partition you can use the empty partition as /var. it can be done via fstab

Code: Select all

UUID=<the partition UUID address> /var           <partition type    errors=remount-ro        0       2

Albert

Re: Trimming /var

Postby Albert » 15 Mar 2015 01:06

Thank you. Good advice all around.

Return to “Newbie Questions”