Plymouth-start.service failed...

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Oxonsi

Plymouth-start.service failed...

Postby Oxonsi » 13 Jul 2015 23:47

I am relatively new to Linux, and I just installed the SolydK distro. So far I'm impressed with how stable and user-friendly it is.

One question has arisen: I noticed that I always receive a plymouth-start.service failed message during boot. I also confirmed in the systemd System Manager that plymouth-start service failed. Note that I changed my kernel parameters in GRUB from 'quiet splash' to 'verbose splash' so that I can see all startup transactions. It goes by very quickly as I am on an SSD.

All of that said, what can I do to fix my plymouth-start.service? If it is not needed, I suppose that it could be disabled? I haven't noticed any problems even though it fails to start. If it is needed, how can I repair it?

Thanks very much for any help!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Plymouth-start.service failed...

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2015 03:39

Hi Oxonsi, and welcome to our forums!

Plymouth is just eye-candy. It should show the SolydXK logo while booting. Unfortunately it doesn't always work. The current stable version doesn't seem to work in VirtualBox and it was reported that it doesn't start on some systems either.

You can disable it with the Debian Plymouth Manager (search for plymouth in the start menu), select the bottom item "None: no plymouth splash" and hit the "Set Plymouth Theme" button. You can also remove "splash" from your boot parameters in /etc/default/grub. If you do so you'll need to run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
afterward.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Oxonsi

Postby Oxonsi » 14 Jul 2015 05:22

Thanks very much for the quick reply and easy fix.

Very nice distro!

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 14 Jul 2015 12:44

After several and always unsuccessful attempts to have a nice boot splash (with video driver nvidia 340.65-2), I gave up and I completely uninstalled any plymouth related packages.
That's a pity.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 14 Jul 2015 13:01

You can try what I did and it worked for me. No guarantees it will work for you:
http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... eau#p54321

Oxonsi

Postby Oxonsi » 14 Jul 2015 18:40

Thanks for the replies all. I am also on an nVidia proprietary driver, so not surprising it doesn't work.

just

Postby just » 14 Jul 2015 19:19

Oxonsi wrote:...I am also on an nVidia proprietary driver, so not surprising it doesn't work.
Could somebody be so kind to help me to improve my English? Probably I don't understand correctly the statement about "NVIDIA dirver that doesn't work".

This is the list of installed packages with proprietary NVIDIA driver

$ apt search nvidia  | grep 'i '
i   bumblebee-nvidia                - NVIDIA Optimus support using the proprieta
i   glx-alternative-nvidia          - allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX prov
i   libegl1-nvidia                  - NVIDIA binary EGL libraries               
i   libgl1-nvidia-glx               - NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries            
i   libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386          - NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries            
i A libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386:i386     - NVIDIA binary OpenGL 32-bit libraries     
i   libgles1-nvidia                 - NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x libraries     
i   libgles2-nvidia                 - NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x libraries     
i   libnvidia-eglcore               - NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries          
i   libnvidia-ml1                   - NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime l
i   nvidia-alternative              - allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX prov
i A nvidia-driver                   - NVIDIA metapackage                        
i   nvidia-driver-bin               - NVIDIA driver support binaries            
i   nvidia-installer-cleanup        - cleanup after driver installation with the
i A nvidia-kernel-common            - NVIDIA binary kernel module support files 
i A nvidia-kernel-dkms              - NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source   
i   nvidia-modprobe                 - utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and 
i A nvidia-settings                 - tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics d
i   nvidia-support                  - NVIDIA binary graphics driver support file
i A nvidia-vdpau-driver             - Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
i   xserver-xorg-video-nvidia       - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver                 
This is an example of a command running on NVIDIA (not Intel) GPU with above driver

$ optirun inxi -Gxx
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0a16
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0fe4
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.21hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.65 Direct Rendering: Yes
$ 
What proprietary NVIDIA driver does in this example? Does it work or not? I was sure it is working here. Am I wrong?

Oxonsi

Postby Oxonsi » 14 Jul 2015 19:53

I think you probably misunderstood me. The nVidia non-free driver works. I haven't had a problem with it.

When I said "it" doesn't work, I was referring to Plymouth. I'm gathering that the nVidia proprietary driver somehow interferes with Plymouth splash. And since I have the nVidia driver installed, I'm not surprised Plymouth does not work for me.

I hope I answered your question. Sorry about the confusion.

just

Postby just » 14 Jul 2015 20:24

Oxonsi wrote:...When I said "it" doesn't work, I was referring to Plymouth...
Oops, my fault! I didn't read the whole thread with needed attention :oops: . Sorry. Everything is cleared.

As for Plymouth... I seem to be the only person in this forum for whom Plymouth works like a charm. On four different computers. On Intel, AMD/ATI, Nvidia GPUs. Everywhere, in short. But it was repeated so many times here that it does not, that I don't dare to state an opposite thing.

I will call it startup-shutdown animated cartoon. The default animated cartoons, included in SolydXK, are not of my liking. I have constructed from scratch my own one. With my own background, logo, animations, text. It doesn't exist anywhere on the web. And this animated cartoon works on all computers and video cards here, automatically adapting itself to different screen sizes and resolutions. Nvidia included.

I understand that these are only useless words, of no help. Try to get a look here - maybe it could help to sort out the problem.

wildman

Postby wildman » 14 Jul 2015 22:30

just wrote:As for Plymouth... I seem to be the only person in this forum for whom Plymouth works like a charm. On four different computers. On Intel, AMD/ATI, Nvidia GPUs. Everywhere, in short. But it was repeated so many times here that it does not, that I don't dare to state an opposite thing.
I (and my wife) have 2 netbooks and a laptop that have had a clean install of a recent x64 iso of SolydX. Plymouth works perfectly on all of them. However, on my desktop, which has been upgraded from testing to stable, Plymouth has never worked since the upgrade to stable. All I get is the 3-dots screen.

The desktop does have nvidia and I am using the legacy 304 driver and it is working perfectly. Since I have had problems with nvidia in the past, I would prefer not to "rock the boat" even if that means I can't use Plymouth.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”