Afraid of the "freezing" period in Debian Testing.

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
negora

Afraid of the "freezing" period in Debian Testing.

Postby negora » 18 May 2013 17:09

Hello!:

I'm new in this forum. For years I've been working with Ubuntu, Kubuntu and, in the end, with Linux Mint KDE. Then I started to look for a Linux distro with a semi-rolling release. In this regard I found Sabayon and LMDE KDE. I tested they both time ago but I wasn't able to take a decision, because I liked and hated features of they both.

Today I was going to give Sabayon another try, because I thought that LMDE KDE had disappeared... But I've just found that it has been simply transformed into SolydXK. So, again, I'm deciding which one fits my needs better, he he he.

Sorry for such a long and boring introduction. My question is quite simple. When I tested LMDE KDE time ago it was when Debian Testing was in a frozen period. It was frustrating because I wanted to test the latest KDE release (4.10), along with the latest nVidia drivers. But the available versions in the repositories were very old because of that freezing. Is there any plan to update the SolydXK repositories with newer packages of certain applications (KDE, graphic drivers, etc.) when this occurs?

I know that you plan to do something similar with Firefox and Thunderbird, building them from the source. But what about other important items, like those that I mentioned?

Thank you.

zerozero

Re: Afraid of the "freezing" period in Debian Testing.

Postby zerozero » 18 May 2013 22:40

hello negora 8-) welcome to SolydXK forums
just recently (yesterday :P ) we were debating SolydXK identity (and future) (>> HERE <<); i would, specially highlight Schoelje's post (>> HERE <<)
and this part
The purpose of SolydXK is not to have the best DE, nor to have the latest software. That is mearly a means to an end. Its purpose must be found in helping people do their jobs, and hopefully have some fun along the way. A young company like SolydXK needs focus, and focus starts with knowing your limitations and strengths.
This means that as a distribution you won't see a wild pursuit on the latest and greatest but ensuring that, fairly up-to-date and always in sync with debian testing, we provide our users a stable and reliable system.

with that said we support user-side experiments (how could we not? :lol: they help us identify future potential issues)
Looking through the forum you'll find ways/howtos to install bleeding edge kernels, the latest KDE, the latest drivers.

if you chose SolydXK (and we hope you do :) ) have fun experimenting.
bliss of ignorance

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 22 May 2013 20:01

The purpose of SolydXK is not to have the best DE, nor to have the latest software. That is mearly a means to an end. Its purpose must be found in helping people do their jobs, and hopefully have some fun along the way. A young company like SolydXK needs focus, and focus starts with knowing your limitations and strengths.
Great! ;)

negora

Postby negora » 27 May 2013 15:33

zerozero: first of all, apologizes for such a late answer. And also thank you for your welcome and your comments :).

I understand that the main mission of SolydXK is building a robust and stable Linux distribution. But it's only that, in my opinion, some important applications and libraries in the Debian repositories seem to be old, even for the updating rate of the "testing" and "unstable" repositories.

I'm referring specially to the KDE version, which is still 4.8. I believe that, because KDE is the main desktop environment of SolydXK, it should count with a more modern version. I think that higher versions have already been tested much. But it may be just a personal impression. I also understand that keeping KDE up to date isn't an easy task because of the lots of dependencies that it has.

Anyway, although I'm using Sabayon by now, I'm still very interested in SolydXK and how it's planned. It looks like better organized than Sabayon. I'll keep testing future releases.

Thank you! :)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 27 May 2013 23:06

negora wrote:some important applications and libraries in the Debian repositories seem to be old, even for the updating rate of the "testing" and "unstable" repositories.
this is the crux of the question: debian (not even sid) is not bleeding edge; it can be fairly up-to-date for the most part but will always lag behind the cutting edge distros.
you don't chose debian for for the raw rush of updates (although you get your share)
you chose debian for the Social contract http://www.debian.org/social_contract
and for a lot of other reasons http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian
bliss of ignorance

negora

Postby negora » 28 May 2013 07:29

zerozero: I know, I know. Indeed I've always used Debian (together with Red Hat / CentOS) in servers because of its stability and organization. And I have loved it.

I guess that my concept of "bleeding-edge" is a little different. In my opinion, Sabayon is bleeding-edge, but Kunbutu or Linux Mint aren't... Or, at least, not so much. I guess that it's relative to the target of the comparison. I wasn't expecting SolydK to be Sabayon, but a medium term between Debian and Linux Mint. Only that. Even Sabayon is too bleeding-edge for my taste, sincerely.

I guess that my expectations weren't so weird after all. Because there are several threads in these forums of people looking for instructions to install KDE 4.9.5 and 4.10, he he he.

Anyway, as I said, I'm keeping an eye on SolydK, because I like it much. Thank you for your opinion ;) .

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 28 May 2013 12:20

negora wrote:I guess that my expectations weren't so weird after all. Because there are several threads in these forums of people looking for instructions to install KDE 4.9.5 and 4.10, he he he.

Anyway, as I said, I'm keeping an eye on SolydK, because I like it much. Thank you for your opinion ;) .
@ Negora: I understand your demands on KDE 4.10.
To add an argument to Zerozero's ones, with the small squad working hard on solydXK for now, we can't make more than we do, even if we made our possible. ;)

I hope you'll adopt SolydK at the end 8-)
Ane
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 28 May 2013 12:49

It's a fine sytem, but it is still young. That will improve. ;)

negora

Postby negora » 28 May 2013 14:06

ane champenois and rijnsma: I understand your opinions and ZeroZero's. I hope that my comments haven't looked like a harsh demand, he he he. I'm aware of the lot of work that something like this means. If this distribution finally fits my most urgent needs, I'll collaborate in some way, of course.

I'm going to start replicating my current installation of Sabayon into a virtual SolydK, and see where it takes me. By now, I've found an easy way to install the Infinality's FreeType patches, which is something important for me (here).

Thank you ;) .

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 28 May 2013 14:13

Every positive critical note can help the quallity of a system. ;)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 28 May 2013 14:22

negora wrote:ane champenois and rijnsma: I understand your opinions and ZeroZero's. I hope that my comments haven't looked like a harsh demand, he he he. I'm aware of the lot of work that something like this means. If this distribution finally fits my most urgent needs, I'll collaborate in some way, of course.
as rijnsma said all the contribution is welcomed (we just can't satisfy all the requests :P at least not yet)
====
re: the Infinality's FreeType patches i already read about them elsewhere. do you mind opening a topic about them with the install instructions and the before/after? (specially in this period of the month i'm very short of time :roll: )
bliss of ignorance

negora

Postby negora » 05 Jul 2013 10:20

zerozero: Oooops! I'm really sorry but I hadn't seen your message until today, when I was checking my control panel :S . I guess that you may already have found it by yourself (after all, it has passed MONTHS since you asked me :lol: ). But I've opened a new thread anyway. It's placed here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=870 .

Return to “Newbie Questions”