Safe steps before installing Linux in dual boot

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
palimmo

Safe steps before installing Linux in dual boot

Postby palimmo » 26 May 2016 18:31

Hi.
Pretty soon I would like to install Linux on my girlfirend's laptop.
This laptop (Lenovo Z51, 8GB ram, Intel i5, SSD 250GB) runs Windows 10 (originally Win 8, upgraded to 10).

Although I can say I have now a little bit of experience installing linux in dual boot with Win, this time I am really scared of corrupting her brand new laptop :D
Therefore, before starting with the installing procedure using a live media (e.g. USB stick), I was wondering if it is possible to create a perfect copy of her SSD in case something goes wrong, so that I can recover her win10 installation and leave no trace.
I think Clonezilla should be the right software, but I have never used it before.

Could you please give me some hints?
Thanks!

Present status:
- laptop with Win10 installed (therefore I suppose UEFI system)
Goal:
- laptop with dual boot Win10+Linux
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

kurotsugi

Re: Safe steps before installing Linux in dual boot

Postby kurotsugi » 26 May 2016 18:57

+1 clonezilla. as long as the boot partition which contain related .efi files is not modified then we can expect the migration would be smooth. as additional precautions I tends to get the disk partition list (it's important since windows sometimes have some hidden partition. simply leave them as it is) and defrag all visible partitions (if the system is using >25 % of disk capacity, having a defrag will ensure our data integrity and the re-partition step trouble-free).

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 26 May 2016 20:08

clonezilla: should I create an image or clone the partition? What's the difference?
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 26 May 2016 21:13

I maybe wrong so wait for other to confirm or deny but I think you clone a disk and image a partition, at least that is my understanding of the terminology :?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 26 May 2016 21:28

IIRC the question should be "whether if you backup partitions or a whole disk". in that case, B is the correct answer. you need to backup every part of the disk down to mother boot record. by using this function, all partition will be "copied or cloned". disk images will got created then it got compressed and stored somewhere.

clonezilla did have clone function, i.e : it will clone the whole disk into another disk but I never use it. the problem is that to get a perfect clone the disk should be identical. at least the disk size should be similar or larger. for me, that's not efficient at all.

nmambre

Postby nmambre » 27 May 2016 14:15

With CloneZilla you can create an image file of the whole disk or just images of the different partitions.
The first time I thought it was the safest to just do the whole disk. But now with more experience I just create the images of the partitions I have modified.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 27 May 2016 14:39

thanks guys.
As you have understood, I will need that backup just until the first reboot and check.
As soon as I can confirm that the dual boot works correctly and Windows has been somehow not compromised, I will delete it.

For doing that, correct me if I am wrong, you suggest me to create an image of the entire disk. The function to do that is "backup".
Right?
Proud user of SolydK!

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 27 May 2016 17:18

yes. but in this case make sure that you backup the whole disk. it might sounds inefficient but it will ensure that you can erase all the traces.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 27 May 2016 18:48

the destination drive (e.g. external drive) must be empty? Will it be completely erase to host the image or the image will be created as a file?
Proud user of SolydK!

nmambre

Postby nmambre » 28 May 2016 09:47

The image will be created as a file (or better yet, the backup will be a folder with one or more files per partition, depending on the options that you select). But make sure to read the options and also the instructions clearly, they are self explanatory. I've used this tutorial first time I used clonezilla

Return to “Newbie Questions”