I have this weird issue that's been happening to me...

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
cosmicgirls1080p

I have this weird issue that's been happening to me...

Postby cosmicgirls1080p » 08 Oct 2016 05:23

I don't know how to ask concerning this odd issue I've been experiencing lately.

Image :facepalm: :?: :|
^ (visual representation of how it usually looks like) it happens a lot and I don't know how to make Linux recognize those text emoji people tend to use a lot online in various websites. Specifically, i get to see it happen a lot when using either Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr. I guess what I'd like to know is that if I can find a way to enable that option that will allow me to see them? Like install a specific font via synaptic package manager maybe? Can't even say if this is a dumb question or not but it's been bothering me a lot lately. Hope somebody can help me out with this one, thanks.

kurotsugi

Re: I have this weird issue that's been happening to me...

Postby kurotsugi » 08 Oct 2016 06:04

no, it's not a dumb question. it's just that people rarely know about this issue. you'll need a font which contain those emoticon. google usually provide one, but you'll need to update it regularly. else, you can set your browser setting so that it may show embedded fonts in the websites.

cosmicgirls1080p

Postby cosmicgirls1080p » 08 Oct 2016 06:11

kurotsugi wrote:no, it's not a dumb question. it's just that people rarely know about this issue. you'll need a font which contain those emoticon. google usually provide one, but you'll need to update it regularly. else, you can set your browser setting so that it may show embedded fonts in the websites.
Thanks yeah took me awhile but after googling for a couple of minutes finally found out what I needed to do.
Thanks for trying to help me out though!

Image see? Everything's working now (:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Oct 2016 10:10

Please, provide your solution so that people will know what to do when they have a similar problem.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Oct 2016 19:42

Schoelje, may I again ask you that you host fontawesome yourself? Pretty please? Since you changed the layout to this theme we are again feeding our data to google. I'm living without icons for several months now

@cosmicgirl: The right solution to your problem IMHO is not to activate javascript/remotefonts for fonts.googleapis.com but to ask the websites you visit to host their fonts themselves. Otherwise just live with the weird placeholders.

Using remote fonts from fonts.googleapis.com is convenient but allows google to track almost everybody throughout every internet activity. Since fontawesome is used nearly everywhere google gets a complete picture of everybodys internet activity.

uBlock origin (which is installed in our browsers) is trying to protect our privacy by blocking remote fonts. Disabling this protection can't be the right solution.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Oct 2016 15:49

ilu wrote:Schoelje, may I again ask you that you host fontawesome yourself? Pretty please? Since you changed the layout to this theme we are again feeding our data to google. I'm living without icons for several months now

@cosmicgirl: The right solution to your problem IMHO is not to activate javascript/remotefonts for fonts.googleapis.com but to ask the websites you visit to host their fonts themselves. Otherwise just live with the weird placeholders.

Using remote fonts from fonts.googleapis.com is convenient but allows google to track almost everybody throughout every internet activity. Since fontawesome is used nearly everywhere google gets a complete picture of everybodys internet activity.

uBlock origin (which is installed in our browsers) is trying to protect our privacy by blocking remote fonts. Disabling this protection can't be the right solution.
I have very little time lately. Hosting the fonts locally means I'll have to adapt the site and prevent any automatic update. I'll have to update the site manually, reintroducing the changes for the font on each update. A repeatedly time consuming action for such a little thing. So, perhaps when I build a new site, but not for this one, I'm afraid.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 Oct 2016 17:12

Not enough time - I understand. I'll continue to live with the placeholders. It's a pity that google services :evil: are that deeply ingrained in the internet that you have to do time-consuming work to surgically remove them.

Zill

Postby Zill » 09 Oct 2016 20:40

ilu wrote:... It's a pity that google services :evil: are that deeply ingrained in the internet that you have to do time-consuming work to surgically remove them.
Life used to be far simpler in the old days...
Google.jpeg
Google.jpeg (62.02 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
p.s. My apologies for going off topic! :oops:

cosmicgirls1080p

Postby cosmicgirls1080p » 10 Oct 2016 07:52

Schoelje wrote:Please, provide your solution so that people will know what to do when they have a similar problem.
Just type this in the terminal: sudo apt-get install ttf-ancient-fonts
That's pretty much all you need to make them work :D
(Also, sorry for the late reply. I was busy x__x)

ilu

Postby ilu » 10 Oct 2016 11:25

oh ok so yours was not a fontawesome issue ...
Just to be prepared for every eventuality I installed those ancient fonts, you can't ever have too many fonts anyway. :lol:

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 10 Oct 2016 13:49

it amazes me that there are 'ancient things' not covered in unifont. it usually works for everything except google fonts.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Oct 2016 14:11

If so, we'll probably need to add these fonts to our ISOs...

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 10 Oct 2016 19:08

They don't help for this forum but as I said - can't ever have too many fonts. I have fonts-font-awesome installed locally too but this doesn't help against fonts.googleapis.com. I'd love to have a way to automatically "redirect" remote fonts to their local counterparts.

Return to “Newbie Questions”