Should I call this one an odd "Crash"? How to fix? [SOLVED]

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
cosmicgirls1080p

Should I call this one an odd "Crash"? How to fix? [SOLVED]

Postby cosmicgirls1080p » 10 Oct 2016 08:05

I have absolutely no idea why this has been happening. But my desktop will freeze and the screen will "crash" or something? It'll be vibrant green with lots of vertical lines and by that point I have to restart my pc and log back in again. (Wish I could take a screenshot of the error so you guys could see what it looks like but I can't). Haven't figured out what's the deal with that yet. Everything else works fine. I fixed some issues I was having with Steam so everything's back to normal lol. Also, I tried using Solydk but Solydx is my home now. Don't need windows at all. (:

Zill

Re: Should I call this one an odd "Crash"? How to fix?

Postby Zill » 10 Oct 2016 09:36

Firstly, please open a terminal, maximize the window and post the full output of the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Frxz
In order to make the output easily readable on the forums, please enclose the output in "code" tags. e.g.

[code]my output text
[/code]Note that there is a "Code" button at the top of the forum editing window which does this automatically for any highlighted text.

This problem may be due to the wrong graphics driver being installed so please open the DDM (Device Driver Manager) and confirm that you are using the recommended driver.

Sometimes, freezing is indicative of bad RAM and so it might be worth checking your RAM to make sure it is the right type and speed for your CPU. It could be worth removing the RAM modules and then reseating them to make sure they are making good contact. I cannot recall if the current SolydXK ISOs include memtest86 on the live USB but if this is an option when booting from the USB then you could run these tests for a few hours, preferably overnight, to thoroughly test the RAM.

The other thing to mention is that I hope your machine is not overclocked. If it is then this could cause all kinds of timing errors which are highly likely to lead to random freezing.

cosmicgirls1080p

Postby cosmicgirls1080p » 20 Oct 2016 05:29

Zill wrote:Firstly, please open a terminal, maximize the window and post the full output of the following command:

inxi -Frxz
In order to make the output easily readable on the forums, please enclose the output in "code" tags. e.g.

[code]my output text
[/code]Note that there is a "Code" button at the top of the forum editing window which does this automatically for any highlighted text.

This problem may be due to the wrong graphics driver being installed so please open the DDM (Device Driver Manager) and confirm that you are using the recommended driver.

Sometimes, freezing is indicative of bad RAM and so it might be worth checking your RAM to make sure it is the right type and speed for your CPU. It could be worth removing the RAM modules and then reseating them to make sure they are making good contact. I cannot recall if the current SolydXK ISOs include memtest86 on the live USB but if this is an option when booting from the USB then you could run these tests for a few hours, preferably overnight, to thoroughly test the RAM.

The other thing to mention is that I hope your machine is not overclocked. If it is then this could cause all kinds of timing errors which are highly likely to lead to random freezing.
Again, I'm super slow when it comes to replying to messages but yeah turns out it was something happening inside my personal computer. Wasn't Solydx's problem at all. Took my pc to get fixed and now everything's back to normal. Should've done this weeks ago lol.

Zill

Re: Should I call this one an odd "Crash"? How to fix? [SOLVED]

Postby Zill » 20 Oct 2016 09:44

cosmicgirls1080p: I'm pleased things seem to be working OK.

Would you now please mark the thread as solved to help any other users with a similar query. You need to edit your first post in this thread and add the prefix [Solved] to the title. Only the OP (Original Poster) can do this.

If you have any more problems just use the search facility (button at the top of the screen) and it could be that the answer is already there! Failing that, feel free to post a new query with a descriptive title and as much detail as possible.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 22 Oct 2016 04:17

cosmicgirls1080p wrote:Again, I'm super slow when it comes to replying to messages but yeah turns out it was something happening inside my personal computer. Wasn't Solydx's problem at all. Took my pc to get fixed and now everything's back to normal. Should've done this weeks ago lol.
Would you please also let us know what was wrong with the computer, was it RAM, was it the CPU, was it the video-card? This info could help others who have similar problems. Thank you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”