Default Browser

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
loudermp

Default Browser

Postby loudermp » 13 Oct 2016 19:03

I keep getting prompted to set my browser as the default and as a preferred app, thing is I have done both but I am still prompted when opening a link, my browser is Slimjet Version 12.0.3.0 (based on Chromium 53.0.2785.89 (64-bit)) the links I am opening are Evolution 3.12.9, there may be multiple issues here but the first thing is the default app and preferred app are not persistent, I understand SolydX comes with Firefox and Thunderbird which I quit using any Mozilla product for personal reasons.

Thanks

Zill

Re: Default Browser

Postby Zill » 14 Oct 2016 09:58

Firstly, let me welcome you to SolydXK forums and I trust that you will enjoy using this great distro. If you would like to post in the "Introduce yourself" section it will be great to hear a bit more about who you are and how you got here!
loudermp wrote:I keep getting prompted to set my browser as the default and as a preferred app.
Please explain exactly what you have done to set the default and preferred app. Did you do this from a GUI or via the CLI?

As can be seen from this link, the default system browser can be set with the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
However, some Desktop Environments have their own tools to change these defaults and so it will help if you confirm which DE you are using. Are you running SolydK (KDE) or SolydX (XFCE)?

Additionally, some applications have their own methods of setting defaults so, again, please advise if you have changed any of these defaults.

loudermp

Postby loudermp » 15 Oct 2016 03:55

First I am using SolydX and I would also like to try SolydK also to see if I like it any better, anyway I used the link you sent and gave me the following choices,

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0 /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet 200 auto mode
1 /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet 200 manual mode
2 /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable 200 manual mode

I chose 0, i have also chosen flashpeak-slimjet as a preferred application for the web in settings, I have tried setting it as the default through buttons that popup in the app and I have clicked the button do not ask again and went into the app settings and set it as the default but the next link I click in Evolution it is like neither the preferred or default setting took, I have since loaded Vivaldi 1.4 which works correct and may stick with it, this issue seems to be an issue for the flashpeak-slimjet browser permissions not the OS but if you have a suggestion to try I am willing to try it, before I forget my other app defaults are, one thing I noticed were things were not added to the dictionary, I am using Vivaldi doing this and things seem to be adding fine,

Mail Reader: Evolution
File Manager: Thunar
Terminal Emulator: Xfce Terminal

I do not know if it is related but uninstalled Fire fox and Thunderbird, I have a personal issue with Mozilla so I will not use any their programs.

Thanks

Zill

Postby Zill » 15 Oct 2016 11:07

loudermp: Thanks for the info. As I am quite happy with Firefox and Thunderbird, I can't advise any further on your preferred applications.

However, other SolydXK users may well run these applications and so, hopefully, someone will be along with some advice.

p.s. Although Linux is all about choice, sometimes changing the default apps can make life more difficult. ;-)

ilu

Postby ilu » 16 Oct 2016 04:28

If I understood correctly, this is an issue only with Slimjet browser? Slimjet keeps asking you to set the default again and again? If you set Vivaldi as default this works ok?

In that case you should ask in Slimjets support forum. Or just stick with Vivaldi. Or try Chromium which can be installed from the debian repositories (and is open source). I don't think anybody here uses Slimjet. Most people here prefer open source software and Slimjet is not open source.

Uninstalling Firefox and Thunderbird is most probably not the reason for your problem.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 16 Oct 2016 07:43

ilu wrote:If I understood correctly, this is an issue only with Slimjet browser? Slimjet keeps asking you to set the default again and again? If you set Vivaldi as default this works ok?

In that case you should ask in Slimjets support forum. Or just stick with Vivaldi. Or try Chromium which can be installed from the debian repositories (and is open source). I don't think anybody here uses Slimjet. Most people here prefer open source software and Slimjet is not open source.

Uninstalling Firefox and Thunderbird is most probably not the reason for your problem.

No, this is also something Chrome and Chromium do. I found out that to make it stop you need to click the button: Don't ask again. Somehow the setting in Chrome, and in Chromium as well, is correct, it is the default browser, but as long as you don't tell it to stop asking it will continue to do so.

Return to “Newbie Questions”