VPN Server

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
troypulk

VPN Server

Postby troypulk » 22 Nov 2016 19:58

I want to use SolydX to make a personal vpn server to use at public wifi hotspots for my android phone running android 6.0

I'm thinking to use my main solydx pc for this or is it best to use a different stand alone pc?

Also, I'm not sure how to set up a vpn server, can someone give me instructions?

What files are needed for this? does the EE version have the right files?

Thanks in advance.

Troy

Zill

Re: VPN Server

Postby Zill » 26 Nov 2016 16:11

I expect that your VPN server will need to run continuously and so I would suggest that a desktop PC is more suitable than a laptop for this purpose.

You can find instructions on installing and configuring the OpenVPN server and clients (including Android) in the Debian Wiki article:
https://wiki.debian.org/OpenVPN

As with any internet-facing servers, I recommend not using SolydXK EE as this is based on Debian Testing and is possibly more vulnerable to attack than a normal SolydXK system based on the fully patched Debian Stable.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 26 Nov 2016 17:10

On the tutorial front for a VPN server, I thinking about setting on up as a project over the xmas holidays. I found this tutorial which seems to very detailed:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-debian-8

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 26 Nov 2016 19:16

Thanks,

I'm making this a holiday project as well.

I have an extra PC that this will work fine for this.

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 28 Nov 2016 04:45

xendistar wrote:On the tutorial front for a VPN server, I thinking about setting on up as a project over the xmas holidays. I found this tutorial which seems to very detailed:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-debian-8
I started doing this and everything seems fine until I got to the following step: "Generate Certificates and Keys for Clients"

The reason why is because I do not have any Clients as in other computers all I have is a android phone so at this point I'm at a stand still, I need to figure out what to do next.

I'm wondering if this will end up being a "headless server" what ever that means.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 28 Nov 2016 05:20

headless server means that your server has no gui interface.

android devices still need the certificates. user need to install them manually. you'll find it on your phones security setting or someting equivalent.

Zill

Postby Zill » 28 Nov 2016 11:32

Just to add to kurotsugi's advice, a headless server is irrelevant in this case as this only means that you could control the server from another machine, rather than using a local keyboard and mouse. With a VPN, you are wanting (presumably!) an android client to send and receive data securely, rather than control the host machine.

Connecting an android device is detailed in the "Debian Server with Android / iOS devices" section of the link I posted earlier:
For Android devices, install OpenVPN Connect client. Then copy the client configuration file /etc/openvpn/client.ovpn to the storage of the device. Open the configuration file in OpenVPN apps.

Return to “Newbie Questions”