Problem with theme in some applications.[Solved]

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
rahzar

Problem with theme in some applications.[Solved]

Postby rahzar » 04 Dec 2016 02:14

Hi all,
I just installed SolydXK XFCE a few days ago and I am really liking it so far. I have been a long time Gnome user as well as Debian, but I decided to switch to XFCE because it is lighter and more customizable. Being new with XFCE this is a new problem for me.

I installed the Arc theme, and have everything set up the way I like. The only problem is I have found a few programs that won't use the theme, and even worse, the windows and fonts are tiny. It reminds me of the old gray windows 95 style.

I will attach screenshots of the windows if I can, and any help would be appreciated. These are 2 programs I use everyday, VLC and qbittorrent, so I would really like to have them more useable.

Thanks so much !!
Mark
Attachments
solyd2.png
solyd.png

kurotsugi

Re: Problem with theme in some applications.

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Dec 2016 03:50

the problem is caused due to transition from gtk v2 to gtk v3. unfortunately there's no solution other than using other theme.

rahzar

Postby rahzar » 04 Dec 2016 05:18

So if I use a gtk2 theme, that would fix it ? I don't have to use this theme, I'm sure there are 100's of dark themes I could choose from.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Dec 2016 09:56

the best solution would be using theme which support both gtk2 and gtk3. for an example, adwaita and numix.

rahzar

Postby rahzar » 05 Dec 2016 01:02

I tried using the 2 themes mentioned as we'll as a few gtk2 based themes. All still have the same issue. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 05 Dec 2016 01:06

do you have xfce gtk3 engine?

rahzar

Postby rahzar » 05 Dec 2016 01:59

That's a good question, I don't know. It's just a basic install of solydx. Updated but that's about it. Do I need to install gtk3?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 05 Dec 2016 02:44

the package is called gtk3-engines-xfce

rahzar

Postby rahzar » 05 Dec 2016 04:48

I installed that package, it was not installed, and no change. Even tried rebooting.

Could it have something to do with installing the older "stable" versions of vlc, qbittorrent, and handbrake from synaptic? Would it help if I found a more recent package for those programs?

Zill

Postby Zill » 05 Dec 2016 11:31

rahzar wrote:... Could it have something to do with installing the older "stable" versions of vlc, qbittorrent, and handbrake from synaptic? Would it help if I found a more recent package for those programs?
Unless you really need a particular feature from a later version then my advice is always to stick to stable versions. IMHO, just "prettifying" a GUI does not equate to "need"!

FWIW, my (stable) XFCE VLC looks identical to yours and I have no problems using it so I am mystified by your comment that "I would really like to have them more useable."

However, if you do wish to change the appearance of VLC then I believe this can be done with "skins". For more details see the following: I cannot comment on "qbittorrent" as I use the default "transmission" torrent application.

rahzar

Postby rahzar » 05 Dec 2016 12:58

Sorry, "useable" was a wrong choice of words. What I meant was "visible" therefore more usable to me. I don't see very well and it appears to me like the fonts and menus are smaller and harder to read. That's why I choose darker themes, because they are easier on my eyes.

I have decided to live with the way they are, it's not a huge deal. It would just be nice to be able to fix it. I found the settings to make my fonts and icons bigger system wide, but these applications aren't affected by that.

Thanks all for trying to help.

rahzar

Postby rahzar » 05 Dec 2016 13:40

Fixed it, installed qBittorent from source and a skin for VLC. Good enough for me.
Attachments
Screenshot2.png

Zill

Postby Zill » 05 Dec 2016 15:07

rahzar: I'm pleased you got this working. :-)

As you have installed qBittorent from source, I trust you realise that this application will no longer be upgraded as part of the normal SolydXK/Debian apt system and so you will need to monitor this manually. It is also possible that there could be dependency conflicts down the line as related packages get upgraded. "Dependency hell" is always something to be aware of when installing from source.

Would you now please mark the thread as solved to help any other users with a similar query. You need to edit your first post in this thread and add the prefix [Solved] to the title. Only the OP (Original Poster) can do this.

Return to “Newbie Questions”