Accessibility

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
loudermp

Accessibility

Postby loudermp » 04 Dec 2016 20:16

Does enabling assistive technologies do anything in SolydX using the XFCE desktop everything I see refers to GNOME?

Zill

Re: Accessibility

Postby Zill » 04 Dec 2016 22:54

From the XFCE4 accessibility documentation...
When Assistive Technologies is enabled, the Xfce desktop is enabled, xfce4-session will load the required modules so the toolkit (Gtk) can communicate with Orca, the suite of utilities for the visually impaired.
Is there any particular accessibility feature you are having difficulty using?

loudermp

Postby loudermp » 05 Dec 2016 23:23

Thanks I was actually interested in the visibly impaired helps because to read a page easily I have to zoom in so much, is orca an app that needs to be installed because it does not seem to be and do you know of any other screen readers or magnifiers.

Zill

Postby Zill » 05 Dec 2016 23:51

I have no experience of the Accessibility features myself but I would suggest that if you wish to try these you will first need to install the gnome-orca packages by opening a terminal and entering the following command:

Code: Select all

apt install gnome-orca
Then open the XFCE Accessibility screen and enable the Assistive Technologies checkbox.

I suggest you just experiment then to see how the Accessibility features work. It will be useful if you would get back to us to advise what you think of this software.

You may find the Orca project webpage useful: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Orca

Return to “Newbie Questions”