SolydX RPI no mouse and keyboard after update

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
solchris

SolydX RPI no mouse and keyboard after update

Postby solchris » 18 Jan 2017 19:30

I am using SolydX RPI for some month and like it very much. Last weekend I encountered problems after an update of the system. Mouse an keyboard does not work anymore. Reason seams to be incompatibilities between kernel/firmware version and systemd. It looks like system is booting from partition 1 of the SD card and uses the kernel which is found on this partition whereas the actual kernel is in the boot directory of the second partition.
The problem could be solved by copying the files from the boot directory of partition 2 to partition 1.

The final solution should be to change mount point of /dev/mcblk0p1 in /etc/fstab

In the februar issue of the german magazine "Raspberry PI Geek" there is an article about SolydX RPI. It could be that this will people motivate to try out SolydX RPI. Therefore it would be helpful to have a SolydX RPI image which do not run into this issue to avoid that people disappointed go away and do not see that SolydX RPI is a great distribution.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: SolydX RPI no mouse and keyboard after update

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Jan 2017 21:18

Hi solchris, and welcome to our forum!
solchris wrote:The final solution should be to change mount point of /dev/mcblk0p1 in /etc/fstab
I haven't looked into this yet (I am working on the upcoming regular ISOs now), but do you know how I have to change this mount point. It would save me the trouble of searching myself.

B.t.w., could you send me a scan of that article?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 19 Jan 2017 00:09

The link is here: http://www.raspberry-pi-geek.de/Magazin ... PI-im-Test but you have to pay 0,99 to read the full article. But maybe solchris can scan it to spare you the trouble (which it is if - like me - you don't have Paypal).

solchris

Postby solchris » 19 Jan 2017 06:32

I 'm sorry but a haven 't the article myself. I found the link which liu already mentioned in the post above by searching the internet to find a solution for my issue. However I took a short look on the article in a bookstore and the conclusion was that Solydx RPI is an interesting an good distribution :) .

Concerning the necessary change of the mount point:
Rasbian mounts partition 1 as /boot (Solydx mounts it actual as /boot/firmware and therefore changes of the kernel are not stored on partition 1 of the SD card)
I hadn 't time to figure out and test whether it is sufficient to change the mount point to "/boot" or whether it is necessary also to change the directory structure of partition 1.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Jan 2017 16:36

This seems to happen when updating raspberrypi-kernel. It seems that changing /boot/firmware to /boot in /etc/fstab and copying /boot/* and /boot/overlays to /boot/firmware/ before reboot fixes this issue. I'm now testing an updated solydx-raspi-config to fix this for existing installations. I will upload an updated .img to the nightlies download directory later tonight if this fix works.

[Edit]
For anyone interested in the solution. Here are the commands included in the postinst script of solydx-raspi-config:

Code: Select all

# Fix raspberrypi-kernel update
	if [ "$(mount | grep /boot/firmware)" != "" ]; then
	    # Copy files en overlays directory to first partition
	    find /boot -maxdepth 1 -type f -exec cp {} /boot/firmware/ \;
	    if [ -d /boot/overlays ]; then
	        cp -rf /boot/overlays /boot/firmware/
	    fi
	    # Change boot mountpoint in fstab
	    sed -i 's#/boot/firmware#/boot#' /etc/fstab
	    # Move boot directory and create an empty one
	    umount -f /boot/firmware
	    if [ "$(mount | grep /boot/firmware)" == "" ]; then
	        mv /boot /boot.bak
	        mkdir /boot
	        # Mount the first partition on /boot
	        mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
	    fi
	fi
Not tested yet!

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Jan 2017 20:42

I've updated solydx-raspi-config and uploaded it to the repository.
I'm now updating and building the ISOs and when that's done I will upload the ISOs and solydx RPI to the server.
I will post back when done.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Jan 2017 06:22

I've uploaded the new image here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/nightly/

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Newbie Questions”