[Solved] Why wasn't the Flash problem ever fixed?

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
WayneB

[Solved] Why wasn't the Flash problem ever fixed?

Postby WayneB » 18 Mar 2017 11:17

I'm brand new to solydxk, but not at all new to Linux. I'm not a developer or anything like that. Just I guy in America. I'm an old fart 64 years old. Been using Linux since 2000 and before that OS2 from IBM. Since have also used BSD, and all the main versions of Linux. Started with Redhat before it went IPO. Even bought shares in Redhat and lost money in that IPO.

So call me an end looser if you like.

My preferred desktop is xfce. I don't give a hoot about lightweight desktops, which xfce is. I'm with xfce because of configurability. I used to like the cube thing, and I even read here in the forums you can get the cube if you do this and that here on solydxk. I did like the different picture on different workspaces (I keep six) which I had on other versions of xfce but not here in solydx by default.

Anyhow, I know you're right now all excited about Stretch coming out and working hard 'n stuff, but I just got here and I need to ask. How come you never fixed that Flash problem that was being discussed way back in 2014? I mean here we are 3 years later and you never got the Flash problem fixed?

For any distro to become mainstream it's gotta have 100% Flash compatibility. Install Ubuntu Studio or Linux Mint xcfe, mate, cinnamon, and try to play a Facebook game and you're good to go. A lot of really normal mainstream people waste time playing Facebook games in case nobody ever told you. Install solydx and be in awe and love getting away from the Ubuntu platform and back to the Debian roots but -- try to play Facebook games and nope. Not Flash compatible.

I've been searching your forums. Found some ideas. Tried different versions of Flash, including pepper. But nope. Games from Facebook are a no-go.

So are you ready? I mean I saw a thread here from 2014 asking exactly this question and do you mean to tell me that after 3 years you couldn't get that fixed? I know that Schoelje is really busy in stuff, so is zerozero (I've been reading up since I installed it) but do you seriously think you're ready to go with another update when you haven't fixed this problem?

If you have any hope of keeping this distro out of the the bottom ranks on Distrowatch and rise to a serious distro (which I'm hoping for or I wouldn't bother to post this), then you simply can't ignore your desktop OS people. You tout yourselves as for Business and desktop users. Well I'm a desktop user, and also use Linux for a little business on the side, and this distro isn't working and I'm sad about it.

Can you please fix that? Do I need to tell you what happens when I try to load a Facebook game? Because the error message hasn't changed since 2014 when it was first posted on these forums. I can if you want.

Do I need to abandon this distro for now and go back to the now boring versions of Mint or Ubuntu just to get this computer functional in that way?

palimmo

Re: Why wasn't the Flash problem ever fixed?

Postby palimmo » 18 Mar 2017 12:18

Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 18 Mar 2017 12:40

The packages solydxk-flashplugin and solydxk-pepperflashplugin currently provide Adobe's own Flash 25.0.0.127 (NPAPI and PPAPI version respectively). According to Adobe's website, that's the most recent version. If that doesn't work for you, I'm not sure what you expect any SolydXK developer to do about that.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ilu

Postby ilu » 18 Mar 2017 13:27

Flash works for me - under chromium in my case, but for others it works with firefox too. Can you tell us another site where flash does not work for you or is it just facebook games?
I'm sorry I can't help with anything related to facebook since I don't use it. And I never will. Maybe somebody else here plays facebook games, but I don't know anybody who does.

And, since you started a general rant: Flash is dead. HTML5 is the way to go.

WayneB

Postby WayneB » 18 Mar 2017 15:10

Yeah, I know. HTML5 is pretty cool and I write stuff in HTML5 too, and kudos for correctly acknowledging the general rant.

Other than I can't run a Facebook game and you don't play Facebook games I don't know what else I can tell you. Do it for testing purposes, exactly as I did. See for yourself. Works on Windows 10. Works on Linux Mint. Works on Ubuntu even. However it doesn't run on solydxk or Fedora or pure Debian.

I know Facebook games sound lame. I don't waste my time with them, but my wife loves them and I can assure you she has many friends on Facebook that love to as well. My wife used to run Linux on her computer (we have several) but recently bought a machine with Windows 10 pre-installed (I built my computer ground up). She tries to play a game it works, I try to play it and it doesn't work. I'm restricted by my OS, and getting away from restrictions is exactly the reason I'm with Linux in the first place!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Mar 2017 15:33

Perhaps this helps: https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Fix-prob ... load-games

or install chromium with pepperflash.

Haven't tried any of the above. Just did a google search.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

WayneB

The problem IS fixed!

Postby WayneB » 18 Mar 2017 20:18

Okay. It works now. But only in Chromium, not Firefox. Firefox still says the same thing. Perhaps it's Firefox itself since by sefault Solydxk uses Firefox ESR. I will explore that and report back.

I'm not sure what I did to make it work, but it does now work and I'm very happy. I did just try reinstalling apt install solydxk-pepperflashplugin

And it reported it was already installed (because I had already installed it this morning). I think what the system needed was a reboot.

So excuse my rant. I've just become one of your great supporters! Now how do I mark this thread as solved? Not sure about that. Let me look around...

Zill

Re: The problem IS fixed!

Postby Zill » 18 Mar 2017 21:02

WayneB: I'm pleased you got this working. :-)

To mark the thread as solved, you need to edit your first post in this thread and add the prefix [Solved] to the title. Only the OP (Original Poster) can do this.

If you have any more problems just use the search facility (button at the top of the screen) and it could be that the answer is already there! Failing that, feel free to post a new query with a descriptive title and as much detail as possible.

As far as "ranting" goes, we really try to avoid this on the SolydXK forums as we are all friends here just trying to help each other out. So, please let me welcome you to our great community and say that I hope you enjoy using our wonderful distro. :-)

WayneB

Re: [Solved] Why wasn't the Flash problem ever fixed?

Postby WayneB » 19 Mar 2017 02:28

I did manage to get Firefox to work with these stupid Facebook games but not out of the box. Here's what I did and found out.

First off, I earlier suggested it might have been because FireFox ESR was the default browser rather than Firefox.

This was not true and had no relevance. In Firefox's error message which it displayed on the screen, it was looking for "libpepflashplayer.so" in directories that this file was not. I used "find" to find libpepflashplayer.so, made a directory that Firefox was looking in, /usr/lib/PepperFlash (among others, but this is the one I created), and copied the *.so file into it.

Now FF works.

So I don't know why I had to do all that but it's done and it works. I did get it to work under chromium, but I wanted to use FF. Now I can.

All is well, and as marked, the problem is solved. I do believe it was a legitimate complaint, and I meant not to upset your group. It's solved and I'm happy to remain here if you wish me to be here. I've been summarily chastised in another thread for bringing up and old topic (even though it was a problem I was having now), for which I'm sorry. I was just surprised that something was still a problem after 3 years.

Alternatively I can stay out of the forums and just google future issues, but I am happy to be using this distro because of what it is.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 19 Mar 2017 07:30

WayneB wrote:In Firefox's error message which it displayed on the screen, it was looking for "libpepflashplayer.so"
This is odd, because that's the PPAPI plugin, which Firefox can't use. Unless Mozilla has made some changes without telling the world, Firefox can only use the NPAPI plugin, libflashplayer.so.

Of course, it could be Rinat Ibragimov's freshplayerplugin is involved. This allows the PPAPI plugin to be used with Firefox. But that's unlikely, as this plugin is able to find libpepflashplayer.so in ten or twelve different locations (last time I looked).

Edit
Firefox doesn't use libpepflashplayer.so directly, that much is certain. It's either the game or freshplayerplugin that complains about not being able to find the file.

This is where freshplayerplugin looks for libpepflashplayer.so:
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin
/usr/lib/PepperFlash
/usr/lib64/PepperFlash
/usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash
/opt/chromium/PepperFlash
/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash
/opt/google/chrome-beta/PepperFlash
/opt/google/chrome-unstable/PepperFlash
/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/PepperFlash
/usr/lib64/chromium-browser/PepperFlash
/usr/lib64/chromium/PepperFlash
/usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer

Unfortunately, none of these locations is where the package solydxk-pepperflashplugin puts the plugin file. I don't know why it puts it elsewhere without at least creating a symlink, but I do think that needs to be fixed!
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

WayneB

Postby WayneB » 19 Mar 2017 15:13

I think it's the game.

I'm sick with the flu. Feel awful. I'll look at this later. I can't deal with it now. Fever, glands in neck swollen, aches and pains. Ugh. Thank you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”