Weather on the panel not working

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
rijnsma

Weather on the panel not working

Postby rijnsma » 20 May 2017 14:55

Can I repair the weather-item meant for the panel?

ilu

Re: Weather on the panel not working

Postby ilu » 20 May 2017 15:28

You have to be more specific. SolydX or SolydK? Please mention this if you don't post in the respective forum sections.

Also it's easy to find out the exact name of the package you are talking about. Open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l |grep weather

and there's the exact name, at least in xfce. Put the name in an internet search and you'll know the problem.

xfce4-weather-plugin in Debian jessie is version 0.8.3-2 and it's broken since 2014. The newest version is 0.8.9, see http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin. You could download the latest version from them and compile it yourself or download the stretch package from https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xfce4-weather-plugin and install it manually. The stretch package should install and work, but no guaranties. Installing from stretch can destabilize your debian stable.

In case of KDE I'm out, but with the same procedure you can help yourself.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 20 May 2017 16:48

It is Solydx. Thanks ilu. ;) Just curious. Lots of internet-info about weather.

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 21 May 2017 07:31

Yup, mine's been broken on SolydX for something like two weeks. Loading up the weather page in browser is such heavy lifting I think I tore a labrum.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 21 May 2017 12:03

Works for me. Solydx ordinaire and SolydX-9 both using 'normal' sources lists.

The question arises have you loaded details of the location of the weather station?

martin welsh

ilu

Postby ilu » 21 May 2017 13:45

If you want to compare working and not-working versions, please post the output of dpkg:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l xfce4-weather-plugin
ii  xfce4-weather-plugin     0.8.3-2           amd64             weather information plugin for the Xfce4 panel

Mine's not working. No settings available.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 21 May 2017 16:43

Not working. I do without it. ;)

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 21 May 2017 23:12

"0.8.3-2 amd64" on my machine as well.

what else is useful?... Kernel~3.16.0-4

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 22 May 2017 02:47

it might related with the problem I've read somewhere (was it ubuntu?). IIRC the backend server was discontinued and the weather plugin for several weeks. the problem was the backend server isn't used exclusively for that DE (it was a public service and used by many people including linux). in short, the weather panel won't work until we got another server. IIRC there was someone kindly enough to create a replacement for the server but it depends on the developer whether if they will use that or not.

EDIT:
it seems that we need at least 8.8 to make it work. xfce have been switched to the new server.
0.8.8 (2016-08-31)

Use https://api.met.no, old site has been deprecated and will no longer work
Translation updates: Catalan, Indonesian, Korean, Lithuanian, Slovak, Swedish

source: http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- ... her-plugin

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 22 May 2017 10:57

Or use https://www.google.nl/search?q=amsterda ... bHXvCNivAJ for instance
in a launcher on a panel. :lol:
Thanks for the answer. ;)

ilu

Postby ilu » 22 May 2017 19:36

mhwelsh wrote:Works for me. Solydx ordinaire and SolydX-9 both using 'normal' sources lists.

The question arises have you loaded details of the location of the weather station?

Actually I don't know where - clicking on the pencil in the panel settings did nothing at first. That's what I meant by "broken". For whatever reasons the settings now work but I see nothing where I can enter a server adress. It seems the server is hardcoded and I wonder why it's still working for mhwelsh.

wildman

Postby wildman » 23 May 2017 03:39

I have version 0.8.3-2 like ilu and it doesn't work here either. The settings window will come up and allow me to set location, units, etc but all it ever reports is 'no data'. Also, I could not find a place to enter a server url.

I tried installing 0.8.9-1 from Stretch and it complained about a missing dependency, libxfce4util7, which is not in the Jessie or SolydXK repo. I thought it might be better not to go down that road so I stopped. That could easily lead to place called dependency h..., well you know.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 23 May 2017 06:01

there's no url setting. every server has it's own API so it's a given that the devs will stick to only one server and it's API. it's quite unfortunate that we have different XFCE for jessie and stretch. btw, how about alternatives? aweather perhaps?

Return to “Newbie Questions”