UEFI

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
loudermp

UEFI

Postby loudermp » 25 May 2017 20:33

My old laptop failed it dual booted Windows 7 and SolydX, my new one came with Windows 10, in order to not void the warranty I put the existing SolydX disk in a usb3 external case but the drive is not seen in the boot menu unless I first disable UEFI in the BIOS but the SolydX and Windows disks neither one will boot, any suggestions to fix, my only thoughts is to reinstall both with UEFI disabled.

Thanks

xendistar

Re: UEFI

Postby xendistar » 26 May 2017 06:24

Before doing any of this I would suggest you get hold of something like clonezilla and use it to image your disk just encase anything goes wronf, at least you can then use the image to reinstall and start again.

While I have not tried it these seems like a couple of good tutorial on how to do what you are asking

https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/

https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu- ... dual-boot/

Here is a video on Youtube on how to do it (using Debian)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hd_NEvwr3M

Pay particular attention to the section of assigning partition for SolydXK, check and double check that you have selected the right partition to install SolydXK onto.

ilu

Postby ilu » 26 May 2017 17:35

It's not really clear what you did: You took the disk from the old laptop with SolydX on it and put it in the new one? That won't work. You need a fresh install on the new hardware.

Also please give information about your new hardware.

Does a SolydX ISO boot in live mode? If yes, post the terminal output of "inxi -Fxz",

loudermp

Postby loudermp » 26 May 2017 19:23

I have taken the SolydX installed drive from the old computer and connected it to the new one and I expect to have to redo the install but I am not ready to yet and I just remembered it does not have a boot partition because previously I was dual booting with Windows 7 and used its boot partition; here are my new PC specs,

i7 7700HQ
1050 2GB
16GB
WD 256G M.2 PCIe SSD (Windows 10)
1TB(5400rpm) 7mm SATA HDD (Data)
SK Hynix 128G SSD (SolydX)
2 USB 3.0
1 USB 2.0

The SolydX drive is mounted in a USB 3.0 external case and once I get it to boot I plan to make it my primary, BTW thanks for the replies.

Thanks

PS I have not used the live media yet to run the command requested.

ilu

Postby ilu » 26 May 2017 19:44

Except under very lucky rare conditions the old install WILL NOT WORK. And even if it does the result will be suboptimal. Save yourself the trouble and boot up the live image and install from there.

If your problem is that you missed backing up your data, just say so. You can reach it through the live ISO.

loudermp

Postby loudermp » 26 May 2017 20:01

Okay that is the actual issue with reloading there is some data I need, I will use the live media to retrieve as you suggest.

Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”