Convert Debian 9 into SolydXK

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
palimmo

Convert Debian 9 into SolydXK

Postby palimmo » 03 Jul 2017 08:55

Hi.

Easy question:

Is it possible to convert an existing Debian 9 (XFCE or KDE) installation into SolydX or SolydK 9 (when ready)?
Do I have only to edit carefully the source list and update & upgrade?

Thanks!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: Convert Debian 9 into SolydXK

Postby Schoelje » 03 Jul 2017 10:09

A already configured Debian system will never become the same as a clean install of SolydXK.

That said, after a upgrade/dist-upgrade to Stretch, you can add the solydxk repository solydxk-9 to your sources and install all needed SolydXK packages:
  • solydxk-keyring
  • solydxk-system
  • solydk-system-adjustments-9 or solydx-system-adjustments-9
  • solydxk-welcome
  • firefox-solydxk-adjustments
  • thunderbird-solydxk-adjustments
  • solydxk-mozilla-evolvere-icon-theme
When done, you can configure the theme/desktop and other graphical things.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 03 Jul 2017 20:54

Schoelje wrote:A already configured Debian system will never become the same as a clean install of SolydXK.

Why?
Even a clean installation of Debian 9 where I edit a few minutes later the source.list and I install the packages you has mentioned?
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Jul 2017 01:18

Why?
Even a clean installation of Debian 9 where I edit a few minutes later the source.list and I install the packages you has mentioned?
because debian and solydxk have different configuration. both solydxk and debian could have same xfce but the user experience could be very different. though, it doesn't really matter if you have your own preference or you're an experienced user. solydxk-fying a debian is more suited for the enthusiast.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 18 Jul 2017 13:37

Maybe a not so clever question of me?:
Is there a problem in continuing using version 8, because I read on the google-page: https://solydxk.com/downloads/solydx/
Quote on the google-page:
SolydX does not need to be reinstalled each time an update is released. You don't have to reinstall, ever!

Or isn't that true?

?? :)

ilu

Postby ilu » 18 Jul 2017 20:10

That's because the team prepared an update script which you can download here: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6947.
Although that particular sentence might be a left-over from when SolydXK was rolling ...

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 19 Jul 2017 00:49

the only problem would be your system won't get supported after buster got released (roughly 2 years from now). you'll also need to make sure that your system is pointing to old-stable instead of stable.
SolydX does not need to be reinstalled each time an update is released. You don't have to reinstall, ever!

generally, it's true. a proper maintained debian could be updated whenever an update is released. reinstall only needed when something goes wrong. the problem was not every debian install got proper maintainance.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 19 Jul 2017 18:33

Ok. Thanks. ;)

Return to “Newbie Questions”