startup error [solved]

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
sdibaja

startup error [solved]

Postby sdibaja » 15 Aug 2017 16:48

This morning I installed Debian 9 alongside my SolydX system on my laptop.
It went Quick and simple... 99% ready to be my daily driver.
After it was complete and updated I booted to SolydX and it hung. I rebooted in recovery mode and got this ... (see photo). After it did it's checking Control-D and it booted normally. Is this a systemd thing? (both are using the same swap partition)
Now it works fine. Not a problem, but I a curious about what is going on.
Thanks.
2017-08-15 06.43.28.cropped.jpg
Peter E

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: startup error

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Aug 2017 18:06

I think I've seen that. It was caused by another system install that changed the UUID of one of the partitions that was being mounted in fstab. The old UUID was not found, hence the hanging. However, I had to manually edit fstab and change the UUID of that partition. I don't know if there is an automatic mechanism to detect UUID changes nowadays.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

tardy

Postby tardy » 16 Aug 2017 03:21

Yep, I'll almost guarantee that the new Debian install formatted the existing Swap partition, which changed the UUID.

Run

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
to check the UUID of the swap partition, and compare it to the fstab entry. Edit as necessary.

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 16 Aug 2017 12:54

tardy wrote:Yep, I'll almost guarantee that the new Debian install formatted the existing Swap partition, which changed the UUID.

Run

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
to check the UUID of the swap partition, and compare it to the fstab entry. Edit as necessary.
Thanks, found. It was the UUID of the swap... I guess I did not notice the forced format in the installer.

I have had this happen before (swap formatted) but I don't recall it causing hang on startup...
Thanks!
Peter E

Return to “Newbie Questions”