I like this OS!

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
AntonioG

I like this OS!

Postby AntonioG » 16 Oct 2017 16:18

I am new. I came today, and so far I find SolydX to be a wonderful OS.

I know Linux since the old times of RedHat and Mandrake. But this is wonderful.

Thank you for the wonderful work!

ilu

Re: I like this OS!

Postby ilu » 16 Oct 2017 16:40

Great you like it and welcome to our community. If you encounter problems, feel free to ask!

WayneB

Postby WayneB » 18 Oct 2017 15:06

Wow. Haven't heard that name Mandrake in quite awhile. Before that it was Mandrake's predecessor Mandriva, which I ran for years.

Even six months ago SolydXK had problems running Facebook games https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6829 and Rhythm Box https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6835, but no more! I posted the problems I was having before switching to another OS. Now that I've come back, I find that those problems have been completely solved. Thank you for the responsiveness of the team. I'm here to stay.

I have to admit that Solyd is very "solid" and the best Linux distro for me in all these 17 years. It's both rolling but more stable than any Arch derivative in terms of breaking something upstream. I even had problems with Linux Mint KDE recently lagging on video vs. audio, which is the final reason that drove me back to SolydXK.

I was also an avid Xfce user, but have come to like KDE again after all these years.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 19 Oct 2017 12:11

WayneB wrote:I have to admit that Solyd is very "solid" and the best Linux distro for me in all these 17 years. It's both rolling but more stable than any Arch derivative in terms of breaking something upstream.

Lest there be confusion on the part of new-comers, SolydXK is NOT a rolling release. This distro has it's foundation in Debian Stable hence the bulk of the software in the install will not change for the next year or two.

What is subject to change (not an exhaustive list):
  • Anything security related (kernel, Firefox, Thunderbird, network protocols, etc)
  • Anything SolydXK unique

On the other hand, there are the Enthusiast Editions that track Debian Testing; these are not "official" releases but are much more "rolling" in nature.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 19 Oct 2017 19:00

WayneB wrote:Wow. Haven't heard that name Mandrake in quite awhile. Before that it was Mandrake's predecessor Mandriva, which I ran for years.

Mandriva would have been the successor, not the predecessor. They had to change their name to Mandriva because of some kind of trademark conflict.

That said, I also ran Mandrake back when it was still called Mandrake. It was such a well-polished OS and even the bootup screens and TTY terminals were Mandrake themed. It really gave Win 98/Win2k a run for it's money.

I wish they still made it. I'm not totally opposed to paying for good software. That said, it would still have to de-throne SolydK as my personal distro king.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 21 Oct 2017 12:39

I see this out there you could try:
https://www.openmandriva.org/

WayneB

Postby WayneB » 06 Nov 2017 14:41

Zero Angel wrote:
WayneB wrote:Wow. Haven't heard that name Mandrake in quite awhile. Before that it was Mandrake's predecessor Mandriva, which I ran for years.

Mandriva would have been the successor, not the predecessor. They had to change their name to Mandriva because of some kind of trademark conflict.

I'd forgotten and yes you're right.

I just check distrowatch and solydxk is still way down on the charts. I don't know why. I like it a lot and is presently my one and only OS.

WayneB

Postby WayneB » 06 Nov 2017 14:49

ScottQuier wrote:Lest there be confusion on the part of new-comers, SolydXK is NOT a rolling release. This distro has it's foundation in Debian Stable hence the bulk of the software in the install will not change for the next year or two.

Well thank you for clarifying that Scott, and as an old BASIC, C++, pascal and perl programmer, I'm honored to have your acquaintance.

Return to “Newbie Questions”