Eventually will I need a new install?

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
WayneB

Eventually will I need a new install?

Postby WayneB » 06 Nov 2017 14:52

I've been using this distro for about 2 months now and like it. I understand it's foundation is Debian Stable and the bulk of the software in the install will not change for the next year or two.

After that year or two will I have to do a new install?

ilu

Re: Eventually will I need a new install?

Postby ilu » 06 Nov 2017 17:26

You might need to but nobody can know now. The team tries to provide an update script but whether that will work or not, nobody knows now.
And it's about 2 years counted from about may 2017.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 07 Nov 2017 01:09

reinstall only done when needed. theorically, you can keep your system without even once reinstall...but...stuffs happened :lol:

wildman

Postby wildman » 07 Nov 2017 20:19

I started using SolydX in January of 2014. I have updated/upgraded ever since. There has never been a need to reinstall. There has been a couple of minor snags along the way but I was always able to get help right here in this forum.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

fdpg1963

Postby fdpg1963 » 17 Nov 2017 11:30

Hello, I started using SolidK yesterday. It's not really clear to me what is the end of life date of SolidK 9 in terms of getting new features and next in terms of getting security updates. I'm a Mint 18 KDE refugee as Mint will drop KDE at version 19. Can you tell us details?

Kind regards, Folkert

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Nov 2017 12:05

This distro is based on debian stable which means that it will stay stable for the lifetime of debian9 stretch, i.e. until about spring/summer 2019. Security updates will be provided for a longer period depending on debian policy.
At the same time we have the EE version, which is already following debian10, kind of our development version. Expect frequent feature updates but also sometimes a bumpy road.

Stable means security updates but no new features. Our base debian concentrates on stability, not on "featuritis". Once installed the system should just work without the need to change anything.
Compared to *buntu-based distros this means that the regular release is slowly getting old which is no problem as long as you keep the same hardware. If you really need a new feature (usually you don't) there's a possibility to manually install from something called "backports" or - in certain situations - from debian10 repos.
If you get brand new hardware during the second half of the "stable period" you should consider installing EE. At the moment this is the case only with AMD Ryzen hardware.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Nov 2017 00:22

Hello, I started using SolidK yesterday. It's not really clear to me what is the end of life date of SolidK 9 in terms of getting new features and next in terms of getting security updates. I'm a Mint 18 KDE refugee as Mint will drop KDE at version 19. Can you tell us details?

in ubuntu's/mint term, solydxk doesn't has EOL date. we do have "transitional period" which marks the ends of certain version. the differences:
- in ubuntu's, when certain version reach EOL date, the support ended (i.e: no support or anything). user is forced to reinstall or upgrade to next version (if the tool is available).
- in debian, when certain version reach "transitional period" user only got security updates (we call it "old-stable"). at the same time, a new version got released (we call it "stable"). user have two choices, keep using the old version until the support period ended or upgrade his system into the new version ("stable"). no reinstall is needed since the upgrade process is seamless.
- the transitional period ended when the new version hit the next transitional period.

it might be easier if we make a timeline diagram of it.

UBUNTU

Code: Select all

version A got released---->EOL (dies)
                           version B got released---->EOL (dies)

DEBIAN

Code: Select all

version A got released--->transitional period of A--->end of transitional period of A
                           version B got released---->transitional period of B--------->end of transitional period of B
                                                       version C got released---------->transitional period of C-------->end of transitional period of C

the release date to transitional period is roughly 2 years. thus, the life expectancy of a certain version is roughly 4 years.

that being said, since the upgrade process is seamless (no reinstall is needed), at the time a certain version hit transitional period, user could upgrade his system to next version. by doing this regularly, user will have infinite support date.

fdpg1963

Postby fdpg1963 » 20 Nov 2017 14:55

Thanks for the clear explanation! I'm loving SolydK more and more and I'm not missing Mint yet...

Return to “Newbie Questions”