Re: Swap partition gone (SOLVED)

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Redraw

Postby Redraw » 20 Feb 2018 09:20

Yep Hello again
Don't like to bother but after fixing the other problems I had a pdf to convert to images and gimp kept telling me had no memory left well that not right because during install I remember that swap went in and so checked on my system and the swap file is there but not available anymore (why ? ) so I deleted that partition and reformatted it to swap but still nothing , in the info center it shows up as swap space not available and in GParted it just shows up as sda1 so it is there just functioning so is this fixable or should I (gulp) re-install and then also have to reinstall all the goodies , themes icons etc that I have put into here .
Any assist would be great as at the moment not able to to much at all thanks in advance .

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Swap partition gone

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Feb 2018 10:58

Now that you deleted your swap and created a new one, the UUID of that partition has changed.

First, get the current UUID with:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid | grep swap
Then, copy the UUID (without quotation marks) and open /etc/fstab:

sudo nano /etc/fstab
and make sure you have this line:

UUID=copy_the_uuid_here	swap	swap	sw	0	0
Save and reboot.

Check if your swap is mounted with:

cat /proc/swaps

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 20 Feb 2018 12:08

Hello thanks for the extra Quick reply I did type well copy and paste as your help but it just stay the way it was , when it has to go into terminal for some reason my efforts never ever seem to work no matter how hard I try and this time deemed to be another one epic soo tomorrow morning I'll do a fresh install ((again )) dammit really had it running good this time .
so thank you Schoelje and I'm sure your time could be better spent than trying to help this silly old foolish klutz ( twit at the keyboard )
sorry to waste your time should have just done a re-install in the first instance instead of bothering people
Did I say thanks Schoelje

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Feb 2018 14:09

Before starting a reinstall you could show us the output of these commands:

sudo blkid | grep swap
cat /etc/fstab
cat /proc/swaps
Terminal is not that difficult, just remember that copy and paste with ctrl-c and ctrl-v does not work, you will have to use the mouse to mark and then the right click menu to copy/paste.

I also had some memory problems lately. Swap is there, configured correctly (cat /proc/swaps shows the correct device) but when my x-zillionst browser tab eats my last byte of memory, the system just freezes instead of using swap. I rebooted, no big deal, but now I'm curios - is there a way to find out why swap sometimes doesn't work?

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 20 Feb 2018 14:22

If it's not too late, that is if you haven't already started the re-install ....

Schoelje's instructions should have worked ... with one minor change; one needs to use the complete path to the fstab file because we can not assume that you have done a cd /etc to change the current working directory.

sudo nana /etc/fstab
But, ilu's comments are spot-on as well; always nice to know exactly what one is working with before offering advice.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 20 Feb 2018 15:36

OK first things First i will try out ilu's then I will get to ScottQuier's OK back in a little hang on ilu

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 20 Feb 2018 15:43

redraw@solydxk9:~$ sudo blkid | grep swap
[sudo] password for redraw: 
Sorry, try again.
/dev/sdb1: UUID="d8af0153-d65f-4419-8b22-631d327451bb" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="402fa3a5-01"
redraw@solydxk9:~$ sudo blkid | grep swap
/dev/sdb1: UUID="d8af0153-d65f-4419-8b22-631d327451bb" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="402fa3a5-01"
redraw@solydxk9:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
UUID=fcf36601-e264-4f09-94b7-851dd028d849       /       ext4    rw,errors=remount-ro,noatime     0       1
UUID=86dfb36f-a24d-4a1f-9ddc-4651e6461d97       /home   ext4    rw,errors=remount-ro,noatime     0       2

# RAM disks
tmpfs   /tmp                    tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777              0       0
#tmpfs   /var/cache/apt/archives tmpfs   defaults,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755  0       0
tmpfs   /var/tmp                tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
tmpfs   /var/backups            tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
# Disable /var/log/* tmpfs dirs when enabling tmpfs on /var/log
#tmpfs   /var/log                tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
#tmpfs   /var/log/apt            tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
#tmpfs   /var/log/lightdm        tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
#tmpfs   /var/log/samba          tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
tmpfs   /var/log/cups           tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
tmpfs   /var/log/ConsoleKit     tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
tmpfs   /var/log/clamav         tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
redraw@solydxk9:~$ cat /proc/swaps
I don't know how you can decipher this looks like um? to me good luck Ilu hope that is what you wanted if it isn't give me more to send
Will not be re-installing untill after breaky and that's six hours away

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 20 Feb 2018 16:13

now ScottQuier yours produced this

redraw@solydxk9:~$ sudo nana /etc/fstab
sudo: nana: command not found
redraw@solydxk9:~$ 
that's it scotty she can't take much more neither can I it's damn late here 2 am stuff me pickles
and I don't know if any of this stuff helps but now I am wide awake and and looking foreward to scramby eggs for breakky
I will check back in 30 to 60 minutes maybe sooooner
now do you see why terminal and I are not a good couple

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Feb 2018 16:30

I see that you don't have this line in your /etc/fstab:

UUID=d8af0153-d65f-4419-8b22-631d327451bb   swap   swap   sw   0   0
Copy this line as the second line (under "# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>") in /etc/fstab, save, reboot and check if the swap is now used (see my previous post).

[Edit]
:lol:
"nana" isn't a program but nano is. Check my previous post for the right commands (I've updated the path to /etc/fstab).

SolydXK needs you!

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 20 Feb 2018 17:32

I am so sorry that makes a no go in my terminal i am so sorry but this shi make me feel dump as , Schoelje I have am clueless dumb as , cleaned up , but thanks dude , I don't know why it happens like this in the terminal , stuff me pickles but at the same time I appreciate all the effort that you Schoelje and Ilu and of course Scott Quier's efforts into helping but i'M THINKING THAT SREW IT when I will check later this morning all the post ( if any ( extras ) if nothing works out it is OK because all I will do is a frigate-re-install but that is ok a glass of red or four and Dion Di Mucci on the headphones full on why worry have a pickle my friend and don't forget the the lettuce
Thanks for you help sorry I am so stoopid

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 20 Feb 2018 18:13

Hey thanks Schoelje this is what I got from your input was

redraw@solydxk9:~$ <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
redraw@solydxk9:~$ UUID=d8af0153-d65f-4419-8b22-631d327451bb   swap   swap   sw   0   0
bash: swap: command not found
redraw@solydxk9:~$ 

is that what is needed

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Feb 2018 19:21

No, you need to open /etc/fstab in a text editor but because I don't know if you're using SolydX or SolydK, let's try it this way:

Open /etc/fstab in the default text editor:

sudo xdg-open /etc/fstab
In SolydX it probably uses mousepad and in SolydK kate.

Now, copy the following line on a new line under "# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>":

Your /etc/fstab should now look like this:

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
UUID=fcf36601-e264-4f09-94b7-851dd028d849 / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro,noatime 0 1
UUID=86dfb36f-a24d-4a1f-9ddc-4651e6461d97 /home ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro,noatime 0 2

# RAM disks
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
#tmpfs /var/cache/apt/archives tmpfs defaults,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
tmpfs /var/backups tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
# Disable /var/log/* tmpfs dirs when enabling tmpfs on /var/log
#tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
#tmpfs /var/log/apt tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
#tmpfs /var/log/lightdm tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
#tmpfs /var/log/samba tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
tmpfs /var/log/cups tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
tmpfs /var/log/ConsoleKit tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
tmpfs /var/log/clamav tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
Save, reboot and copy the output of these commands in your next post on this forum:

cat /etc/fstab
cat /proc/swaps
Just to check that everything is functioning as it should.

SolydXK needs you!

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 21 Feb 2018 00:31

I get no response zip nothing in kate after putting in those lines and yes im on solyd K told ya

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 21 Feb 2018 04:22

I do have one Issue that has not had a mention and that is

Why ?

before I went and got gparted to try resolve the " not available" partition it just stopped functioning , if you recall , what I would like to know is Why ?

Why did it stop working in the first place the only thing that changed was the graphics tablet and settings in gimp to get the tablet working would or could that be the cause ?

so as to Not go into this again could some-one

Please explain how this could happen , not just out of the thin air is it ,

if you any comments that can explain how ?

I do not want to go through anything like this again so knowing what might have caused this in the first place would be of great benefit

So as to avoid anything like this weird happening

or is this common in the land of Tux ?

Please comment on this if you know please

Thank-you for you patience

ilu

Postby ilu » 22 Feb 2018 04:35

Sorry, no idea. We can't know, because we don't sit in front of your computer. And no, this shouldn't happen in the land of Tux. Usually things like this happen because either hardware failed or the user made a mistake. Please don't get upset, everybody makes mistakes. I already said that I'm seeing some weird swap interaction too, and I'm almost certain that I did something wrong somewhere. Probably while swapping around harddisks.

Anyway, I understand why this is so frustrating for you. With the terminal every little letter (and space too!) is important. That's why Scotts command above did not work - he made a spelling mistake. Nobody's perfect. You need to edit a file and since you are under SolydK, the program to do that would be kate.

sudo kate /etc/fstab
Don't write but copy/paste this into your terminal, If kate opens an editor window, do the changes Schoelje advised and save. If no editor window with that file opens, copy/paste whatever you see there and post it here. Or do a screenshot if necessary, you can upload attachments here.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 23 Feb 2018 23:35

Thanks ilu your patience is inspiring
I always use the mouse some say it's efficient I say it's convenient I did do the terminal input and kate did open a window made the changes Schoelje suggested this time was worst than last time nothing at all but that's a ok wasn't expecting genius at with me operating a keyboard more a GUI sort of non genius
as I said Thank-you -all for your time and patience with this
a fresh install could resolve the latest hardware added , hope , and as for the problem popping up in the first place it could have the new hardware added or the operator um could be or a combination of both or what it could be

this is just hunch but since this has happened to ilu and maybe others ? all the silent SolydK users
maybe this is coming in from the outside somewhere up-stream a faulty line in a program or a patch , could it be so

any way I'll do a bit more reading here then do the fresh re install

I still prefer SolydK even for all the quirkinesses from me or and maybe somewhere in the land of Tux .

SolydK ticks all the boxes I need in an operating system

Got , WiFi not a problem unlike some , bluetooth no extra software needed , Graphics Tablet out of the box worked only had to change two settings in Gimp , Printer/Scanner out of the box , Solyd's quietness and Updates slowness tends to alarm one as a new Solyd but users soon get used to that , Meltdown and the other one patched ( brilliant )

so yeah what is there to not like about Solyd

not quite rolling but when your computer expert as I am a ( cough cough choke ) fresh install is always just around the corner because I know that I know enough about computers to break them just give me enough time to find that setting that should not be altered .

Here in Australia we have a word for that FIGJAM , it's a thing to say when you don't take yourself too seriously , true .

so it seems you are stuck with me as a part of SolydK , I know I stuff things up on my computer that's ok because each time I do I learn a bit more

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 06 Apr 2018 23:12

This is the only thing I found that could have done this
It has worried me as how this started I found and went through the install notes of THAT install and reading a few times there it was I think I found it
The swap partition was OK but the root and home partitions were around the wrong way round ( very late very late at night that my excuse ) the smaller partition was home and root was the larger partition
That is why when Gimp was working on a pdf it must have thrown all things about and I ended up with that mess of the swap partition becoming "not-available"
Now that I know how it happened , the only cause I could find , now that makes things clearer

so I say this is solved , User Error . :facepalm: :oops:

Return to “Newbie Questions”