[Solved] Still unable to see other installs

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Son of Hera

[Solved] Still unable to see other installs

Postby Son of Hera » 02 Feb 2020 22:23

Hi
I installed Solydxk xfce. After installation it boots straight to Solydxk w/o showing the other installs of Mageia, Fedora and Debian. So, I did a grub2-install /dev/sda. I then did an update-grub.

Rebooted and it booted straight to Solydxk with same issues. Unable to see the other installs. Should I had done a grub-install /dev/sda instead of the grub2-install /dev/sda?

I am curious as what to do with this one now.

Thanks in advance

Son of Hera

Re: Still unable to see other installs

Postby Son of Hera » 02 Feb 2020 22:41

Additional information.
I went and did grub-install /dev/sda and then the update-grub. Same results.

I remember having an issue similar to this when installing Megia. Was told to change from graphical to txt when booting up to grub. Would that be the same case here as well? If so where would I find the location to do that at?

An interesting thing was happening when I was doing the update-grub as well. My data partition would disappear from being shown with the others but would be there when rebooted back up.

Any rate thought I'd let know what else I had found during this.

Thanks.

ilu

Postby ilu » 03 Feb 2020 07:48

I've never used grub2-install, so I don't know what would happen. I've always used grub-install. You have to do it from a live system though, not from a running system.

A tutorial about repairing EFI boot is here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7468. Does your machine use EFI or not? For further diagnosis we have bootinfoscript. Have a look at its report and maybe attach it to your next post.

If I remember correctly update-grup reports the systems it finds. Do your other systems show up? Please post the terminal output.

Your data partition was probably just unmounted for some reason.

Son of Hera

Postby Son of Hera » 03 Feb 2020 14:23

ilu wrote:
03 Feb 2020 07:48
I've never used grub2-install, so I don't know what would happen. I've always used grub-install. You have to do it from a live system though, not from a running system.

A tutorial about repairing EFI boot is here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7468. Does your machine use EFI or not? For further diagnosis we have bootinfoscript. Have a look at its report and maybe attach it to your next post.

If I remember correctly update-grup reports the systems it finds. Do your other systems show up? Please post the terminal output.

Your data partition was probably just unmounted for some reason.
I'm using an old pc that don't have EFI. I'm using grub2 because that's what's installed.
Here is what I'm showing for update-grub2:

Code: Select all

root@son-of-hera:~# update-grub2
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/solydx/theme.txt
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-6-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-6-amd64
rmdir: failed to remove '/mnt/a9': Device or resource busy
Found Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid on /dev/sda5
Found Mageia 7 (7) on /dev/sda7
done
root@son-of-hera:~# 

ilu

Postby ilu » 03 Feb 2020 14:55

So it found Debian sid and Mageia but doesn't show them in the boot menu? That's strange. Did you check the bootinfoscript report?

Son of Hera

Postby Son of Hera » 03 Feb 2020 18:53

ilu wrote:
03 Feb 2020 14:55
So it found Debian sid and Mageia but doesn't show them in the boot menu? That's strange. Did you check the bootinfoscript report?
I was looking all over for that. Where is it located?

I had that happen when I installed Mageia before also. What they had me do was to change from Graphics to text on booting up. So was wondering if that needed to be done as well here. However I don't know what file that would be in if I do need to change from graphic to text here.

ilu

Postby ilu » 03 Feb 2020 19:19

No idea about changing graphic/text, never did that. Did you look at the tutorial link I posted? There you can see:

sudo bootinfoscript
If it's not installed on your system it should at least be on the live ISO under /usr/bin.
There's also another version which you can install from the debian repo with apt install boot-info-script.

@Arjen: I just realized there's a debian version which is newer:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/boot-info-script
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/boot-in ... infoscript
We might want to migrate.

Son of Hera

Postby Son of Hera » 03 Feb 2020 20:15

ilu wrote:
03 Feb 2020 19:19
No idea about changing graphic/text, never did that. Did you look at the tutorial link I posted? There you can see:

sudo bootinfoscript
If it's not installed on your system it should at least be on the live ISO under /usr/bin.
There's also another version which you can install from the debian repo with apt install boot-info-script.

@Arjen: I just realized there's a debian version which is newer:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/boot-info-script
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/boot-in ... infoscript
We might want to migrate.
root@son-of-hera:~# bootinfoscript

Boot Info Script 0.61 [1 April 2012]

Identifying MBRs...
Computing Partition Table of /dev/sda...
Searching sda1 for information...
Searching sda2 for information...
Searching sda5 for information...
Searching sda6 for information...
Searching sda7 for information...
Searching sda8 for information...
Searching sda9 for information...
Searching sda10 for information...
Searching sda11 for information...

Finished. The results are in the file "RESULTS1.txt"
located in "/root/".

root@son-of-hera:~#

Son of Hera

Postby Son of Hera » 03 Feb 2020 20:34

RESULTS1.txt
(119.33 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Here's the results.

Son of Hera

Postby Son of Hera » 03 Feb 2020 20:52

Last code might have some repeat of the previous post due to the place where I left off got lost and had to guess where it was at. :(

ilu

Postby ilu » 04 Feb 2020 09:18

I downloaded your result1.txt. The code you uploaded in the following 5 or 7 posts seems to be the same, I did not look at it. If there's anything important in it please point me to it, otherwise, please delete those redundant posts.

The bootinfoscript results1.txt looks ok. It should show all menu entries. Now please check /etc/default/grub.cfg and post it.

Son of Hera

Postby Son of Hera » 04 Feb 2020 16:17

ilu wrote:
04 Feb 2020 09:18
I downloaded your result1.txt. The code you uploaded in the following 5 or 7 posts seems to be the same, I did not look at it. If there's anything important in it please point me to it, otherwise, please delete those redundant posts.

The bootinfoscript results1.txt looks ok. It should show all menu entries. Now please check /etc/default/grub.cfg and post it.
I was looking bud don't see any delete option for those posts.
Sorry about the codes. When I posted the attachment it looked like it didn't go through for some reason. So did the code posts.

Son of Hera

Postby Son of Hera » 04 Feb 2020 16:31

grub.txt
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
grub.cfg.txt
(42.13 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

ilu

Postby ilu » 05 Feb 2020 21:03

Don't worry, I deleted them.
As for the grub.cfg - the only thing differing from default settings is that you have "GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768" active. Try to deactivate it with a leading "#". Maybe your display doesn't support that setting. Do you see the grub menu at all?

Son of Hera

Postby Son of Hera » 06 Feb 2020 00:06

ilu wrote:
05 Feb 2020 21:03
Don't worry, I deleted them.
As for the grub.cfg - the only thing differing from default settings is that you have "GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768" active. Try to deactivate it with a leading "#". Maybe your display doesn't support that setting. Do you see the grub menu at all?
Thanks for doing that ilu. I figured it would have to be something an admin did since I didn't see any way to delete them.

I went and commented that statement out and it worked like a charm. Greatly appreciated!!

I wasn't getting any grub menu at all. It would boot straight to Solydxk w/o anything else showing.

Before getting your response I had installed Grub Customizer so I could get to Mageia. Now I know what to do when I install the KDE version as well. It was really bugging me because I had done the install-grub /dev/sda and then did the update-grub. Would reboot and get same thing over and over. That's why I was wondering about there being something similar here to what Mageia had me do when I was having same kind of issue.

Seems that sometimes Grub can be a royal pain to figure out.

Going to mark this as solved.

Again, thank you for all the help.

Tom

ilu

Re: [Solved] Still unable to see other installs

Postby ilu » 06 Feb 2020 09:49

It took me some time to figure that out. I started at the wrong end ... but glad it works now.

@Arjen: Is that GRUB_GFXMODE setting our default? I don't know because I changed something because our default grub menu looked so ugly (very pixely resolution) and I wanted the old small grub menu back. It might have been that setting but I don't remember.

Return to “Newbie Questions”