4.9.0.0 boot error

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
mdavidg

4.9.0.0 boot error

Postby mdavidg » 03 Feb 2017 12:10

I've never had this problem before but the boot starts normally and then gives me an error message about my video card. It says Nvidia graphics are already installed: aborting. Then it repeats the same message about twenty times before it stops on a blinking cursor. I figured it might eventually boot so I walked away for fifteen minutes. Nope, it wouldn't boot. So I booted up again, chose advanced, and selected 4.8.0.0. And, of course, it booted up perfectly with no error messages. Has anyone else encountered this error so the update came out with their video drivers?

kurotsugi

Re: 4.9.0.0 boot error

Postby kurotsugi » 06 Feb 2017 05:47

at a glance it seems that you're using the propietary driver and that the new kernel module haven't properly build yet. you can try manually rebuild the kernel modules for 4.9.

mdavidg

Postby mdavidg » 06 Feb 2017 12:43

Why would I have this problem out of the blue when I've been using Solydx for over a year? Right now I'm ok because I booted up with the previous kernel, and that allows me to get on to my computer and work with no problem.

Zill

Postby Zill » 06 Feb 2017 15:01

mdavidg wrote:Why would I have this problem out of the blue when I've been using Solydx for over a year?

Possibly because you are running the main edition of SolydX (based on Debian stable - jessie) and have chosen to install a kernel from backports.
OR
You have chosen to run the testing edition of SolydX (based on Debian testing - stretch).

In both cases, the kernel is not the version used in Debian stable and is therefore more likely to cause system errors.

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”