Hello All!

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
slipinkramer

Hello All!

Postby slipinkramer » 18 May 2017 04:02

I made a post last week in the SloydX technical forum and had my question readily, honestly and politely answered by some tech gurus there. That was nice, thank you. Some forums (like 4rch) ain't so friendly to newcomers these days, so its nice not be flamed for asking silly Debian and/ or XFCE questions.

Last week I should have introduced myself before going straight to the tech questions but I didn't even think of it until now :oops: So here goes:

I'm completely new to this forum and pretty new to SolydX. After 5 years with Puppy Linux, I've settled on SolydX because:

1) It's time to broaden my desktop horizons beyond a distro that I love, but is very slow to change or see significant development. I'd say, Puppy is almost stagnant at this point. I wish there was something more I could do for my beloved Puppy, but I'm a user who totally abandoned Windows 10 years ago, not a Unix/Linux developer. Not in any way, shape or form.

2) I previously have had some experience with Mint XFCE and LMDE XFCE and I pretty much loved it, especially the Debian based XFCE spin. I was sad to learn that LMDE XFCE is no more, but happy to learn of the SolydXK Project!

I installed SolydX on my home office desktop about 2 weeks ago and it is working great! I have added an Nvidia driver and done some theming and switched up the menu and icons a bit, set up wallpapers and installed much of my favorite software with apt-get and synaptic. I even had some fun compiling the latest HTOP from source code, just because I could, and doing so made me feel like a real Linux tech guy, even though I just followed a step by step tutorial :)

So far SolydX has been making the Linux desktop tasks look easy; I'm looking forward to a good long relationship with this professional and stable distribution.

ilu

Re: Hello All!

Postby ilu » 18 May 2017 13:36

slipinkramer wrote:I made a post last week in the SloydX technical forum and had my question readily, honestly and politely answered by some tech gurus there.

Ha, I was promoted tech guru! :D I thought I'd never see the day somebody realized my true potential :ugeek: . Thank you so much!
Honestly, my experience with Linux is shorter than yours, and I'm nothing more than a dedicated user who tries to give back to the community as much as possible. Anyway, welcome to SolydX and feel free to ask if anything puzzles you.

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”