Vivaldi flash plugin

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
troypulk

Vivaldi flash plugin

Postby troypulk » 06 May 2018 07:54

I just noticed that my Vivaldi 1.16.1170.3 (Official Build) snapshot (64-bit) did not get it's flashplugin updated automatically when solydxk-pepperflashplugin was updated to 29.0.0.140

Vivaldi reads it's flashplugin at /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin

What would be the best way to ensure that when solydxk-pepperflashplugin gets updated again that Vivaldi would get updated as well?

symlink? or something else?

Thanks

grizzler

Re: Vivaldi flash plugin

Postby grizzler » 06 May 2018 08:45

Actually, vivaldi is supposed to look for the plugin file (libpepflashplayer.so) in:
/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin
/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree
/usr/lib/PepperFlash
/usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash
/usr/lib64/chromium/PepperFlash
/usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/PepperFlash
/usr/lib64/chromium-browser/PepperFlash

The fourth location is where solydxk-pepperflashplugin puts it. Are you sure vivaldi doesn't find it there, not even after a restart? It does on my system.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 06 May 2018 18:25

It turns out that my Vivaldi first looks to /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin then /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree then /usr/lib/PepperFlash for the flash plugin in that order I don't even have a /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash

If Solydx installs it's flash plugin by default to /usr/lib/PepperFlash that would explain why my vivaldi's flash didn't get upgraded it's not even looking there for the plugin.

I tested this by going down your list of where vivaldi tooks for the plugin and changed the names one by one and checked vivaldi://about/ to see the new path and plugin version until it came to /usr/lib/PepperFlash, the other paths had older versions.

I did /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin manually so it had the right version but before it had 28 which at the time I did manually as well not realizing that solydx was putting the plugin in a different place.

So I expect that when Solydx updates the flash plugin next time that my Vivaldi will see it right away.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 07 May 2018 14:38

troypulk wrote: It turns out that my Vivaldi first looks to /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin then /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree then /usr/lib/PepperFlash for the flash plugin in that order I don't even have a /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash

If Solydx installs it's flash plugin by default to /usr/lib/PepperFlash that would explain why my vivaldi's flash didn't get upgraded it's not even looking there for the plugin.
Weird. I have the same vivaldi version on my system and just the one plugin and it "just works".

To check vivaldi was really using that file I renamed the directory and restarted vivaldi. No flash. Restored the name to /usr/lib/PepperFlash, restarted again and flash worked again. Very strange that two copies of the same browser (version) behave differently.
Frank

ilu

Postby ilu » 07 May 2018 15:03

If I understood him correctly he manually changed where Vivaldi looks for the plugin to make things work with his setup at the time and realized just now that solydxk puts the plugin somewhere else.

So all is well now I guess.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 07 May 2018 17:30

Ah yes, he put the previous version in the other location so it got in the way. I misread that.
Frank

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 08 May 2018 04:08

ilu wrote:
07 May 2018 15:03
If I understood him correctly he manually changed where Vivaldi looks for the plugin to make things work with his setup at the time and realized just now that solydxk puts the plugin somewhere else.

So all is well now I guess.
Yes, all is well.

Looking back at the issue; after I installed vivaldi before I changed anything it first looked by default in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin so I fixed it so it looks to where solydx puts the plugin.

Thanks for your help grizzler

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”