(Solved)Missing toolbar buttons in some apps

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
carnetjoven

(Solved)Missing toolbar buttons in some apps

Postby carnetjoven » 27 Nov 2019 08:54

SolydX10 fresh install.

On my installation at least three apps are affected: pdf viewer, dconf editor and disk usage analyser. Most of the other apps don't show this behavior. I didn't test each and every one though.

1. I can't see the close, minimize, maximize buttons as long as the window is focused. The buttons do appear in the window as soon as it's not focused anymore.
missing_windowbuttons_1.png
2. The close button appears when hovering above it with the mousepointer. The minimize, maximize buttons never show. If I hit the right spot blindly all three buttons function as expected.

I use default window configurations.

I tried installing Evince newly through Synaptic, the problem persists.

I found this answer to a similar problem:

"This is a well-known bug in Xfce 4.10 and it happens when for some reason xfwm4 exits and isn't being automatically restarted. When this happens, use alt+f2 or just open a terminal window, focus it (i.e. hover the mouse on top of it) and execute xfwm4 --replace. This should bring back WM buttons (close, min, etc.)."
https://askubuntu.com/questions/205140/ ... ot-working
Can I try this without destroying anything?

Thanks,

cj

Edit: Changed the link. Thanks to ilu it should now be working!

ilu

Re: Missing toolbar buttons in some apps

Postby ilu » 28 Nov 2019 00:21

First thing I'd try is choose another theme in Settings - Window administration (?) and see what happens. Also check the settings on the right side: It is possible to remove the buttons. Be aware that the chosen theme interacts with your choices in Settings - Appearance. You might have to logout and in again to see the changes.

I don't think the link you posted has anything to do with your situation. Why would you still use xfce 4.10? We are at 4.12. Btw: Your link is not working because you used

Code: Select all

[urlb=]https://askubuntu.com/questions/205140/xfce-running-but-core-features-not-working[/urlb]
Why the "urlb" and not just "url"? This exact mistake happens to a lot of links posted on this forum, no idea why people do it wrong.
pdf viewer, dconf editor and disk usage analyser
All gnome apps right? dconf definitely, pdf viewer also if it is evince. No idea what "disk usage analyser" is but probably also gnome. I'm guessing some theme problem. I have modified mine so can't test.

Edit: I checked in a VM (which unfortunately still has a pre-releaase version of SolydX) : The dconf or file viewer theme has dark grey decorations for the active window not light grey as yours are. It makes sense that a light-on-dark design won't be visible if the title bar is changed to light. All gnome apps seem to be light-on-dark in my VM whereas all others are dark-on-light but working nonetheless. Gnome apps are known to not play well with anything but Adwaita themes. Anyway, a theme problem I can't replicate. You said you didn't change anything? Anybody else seeing this?

carnetjoven

Re: Missing toolbar buttons in some apps

Postby carnetjoven » 28 Nov 2019 07:22

Thanks for your answer ilu!

Yes, nothing changed, standard theme and Icons.
I tried the different Adwaita and Breeze themes, all of them work, even Breeze-Dark-X is ok. The only one not functioning properly is Breeze-X.
Since the only difference seems to be the colour (blue instead of orange) I'll use Breeze from now on. Problem solved for me.

Not working link:

I used the button "urlb=" provided by the editor (on top, far right, in a blue field, the tooltip says "Insert URL (new window): [urlb=http://........]").
I get this :

[urlb=][/urlb]
in the editor with the cursor blinking between these ] [ two brackets. There I inserted the URL. Not the correct way to do it?

cj

ilu

Re: (Solved)Missing toolbar buttons in some apps

Postby ilu » 28 Nov 2019 16:00

Regarding URL: I'm using the button next to the font selector but it's not blue - mine are all b/w. Looks like a chain. Anyway, no "b" in there for me ... just

[url][/url]
Edit: Ah that one. Ok, that one's blue. Never noticed it maybe because it's blue? :lol: - Found the mistake. You use the blue button in the wrong way. The URL needs to go inside the brackets, not in between the tags.

wrong:   [urlb=]https://askubuntu.com/questions/205140/xfce-running-but-core-features-not-working[/urlb]
right:   [urlb=https://askubuntu.com/questions/205140/xfce-running-but-core-features-not-working]some text[/urlb]
Better use the b/w chain icon, it's easier.

Regarding theme: Since nobody else reported this problem and you found a solution, I'll leave it like it is.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Nov 2019 17:25

These applications are still gtk2. So, I had to check and change the png images in Breeze-X.

I have updated breeze-x-gtk-theme which should solve this issue.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

carnetjoven

Postby carnetjoven » 28 Nov 2019 18:35

@ ilu: Thanks for pointing me to the "chain". I edited the OP.

@ Arjen: Your update worked for me. Thanks for the fast response!

cj

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”