LibreOffice as default office package in SolydX

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
ajpat3

Re: LibreOffice as default office package in SolydX

Postby ajpat3 » 09 Mar 2014 15:40

I just googled it also and found SoftMaker product FreeOffice. Hope this helps.

Arthur
SolydX 64
SolydK 64

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 09 Mar 2014 16:50

@Arthur - Thanks .. that did help. I was able to find the site and then read a couple of older reviews of the product. This might be something a user of a less powered machine might want to take a look as it is reviewed to be faster than LibreOffice. Don't know the memory requirements ... yet. I'm going to give it a play in a VM in the next couple of days just for fun.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 09 Mar 2014 20:06

@Gene, Oh good, you've found yourself! I really missed that avatar! :D
GeneC wrote:Well I guess I have to stand up for the loyal opposition... :lol:
Too much useless stuff for me. Abiword and Gnumeric are more than enough. --- Its a simple enough upgrade for those who really need (want) it. ... Leave as is... 8-)
smitty1 wrote:...Abiword and Gnumeric are a better fit to the purpose of SolydX, a small, fast, minimalist distribution.
No Set of defaults can satisfy everyone and it is easy enough to install or learn to install software from the repositories.
I have to agree with Smitty and Gene, Leave as is. IMO many of these "default" issues tip over into the category of individual user preferences, and often become philosophical debates.
Aye, laddies, if it's the blather ye be wantin', sure as I'm yer man! :lol:

Oops, look what happened! I was posting right after Gene, and in that time it's turned into... I rest my case.

As long as the distro has basic tools that work well, i.e. "something to write with", "something to count with", each person can pick more complicated tools according to preference as needed. You can't please people with "defaults". Everyone has his/her own idea what that oughtta be.

Myself, I only ever need a text editor as a daily use kind of thing. When the going gets rough, why then I "Graduate" to Geany or Kate. Very rarely do I need anything approaching word processor strength. And I'm a database man rather than a SheetFreak as most of the rest of the world seems to be.

And again these are just individual prefs.
If I need something more than what's here it's all too easy to go get what I want for myself.

Just my two cents... ;)

-- Dave

Zill

Postby Zill » 09 Mar 2014 20:40

fleabus wrote:...As long as the distro has basic tools that work well, i.e. "something to write with", "something to count with", each person can pick more complicated tools according to preference as needed. You can't please people with "defaults". Everyone has his/her own idea what that oughtta be...
My thoughts exactly! Everything else is just a click or two away. ;-)

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 09 Mar 2014 23:01

mspitteler wrote:Look at:

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/download
Not OpenSource - for those that care.

Not Free - in that one must first supply valid email to receive the download URL and serial number.

I think I'll pass.
Scott

ajpat3

Postby ajpat3 » 10 Mar 2014 14:17

Thanks Scott, I didn't get that far with it.

Arthur
SolydX 64
SolydK 64

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 10 Mar 2014 15:48

Thanks Scott, saved me the trouble. I was just going to start looking at it.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 10 Mar 2014 16:00

ScottQuier wrote:Not OpenSource - for those that care.

Not Free
this disqualifies it as hipotetical default
bliss of ignorance

mspitteler

Postby mspitteler » 10 Mar 2014 23:48

I am not a native English speaker, but to the length of my understanding "free" means either "not under the control or in the power of another" or "at no cost", usually clarified as "Free as in Speech" or "Free as in Beer", respectively.

FreeOffice is "Free as in Beer". The requirement to register with a valid e-mail address may be regarded as a not anonymous or at odds with the usual FLOSS practices, but it does not detracts from the fact that you do not have to pay any amount of money i.e. it is gratis to get it legally.

Obviously, the fact that it is not Open Source may be reason enough not to promote its use or at least not make it default, but this is an entirely different line of argumentation.

Best regards.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 11 Mar 2014 12:25

mspitteler wrote:I am not a native English speaker, but to the length of my understanding "free" means either "not under the control or in the power of another" or "at no cost", usually clarified as "Free as in Speech" or "Free as in Beer", respectively.

FreeOffice is "Free as in Beer". The requirement to register with a valid e-mail address may be regarded as a not anonymous or at odds with the usual FLOSS practices, but it does not detracts from the fact that you do not have to pay any amount of money i.e. it is gratis to get it legally.

Obviously, the fact that it is not Open Source may be reason enough not to promote its use or at least not make it default, but this is an entirely different line of argumentation.

Best regards.
As a native English speaker with a not-insignificant education, let me help you out a bit here in the hope that someday you will be either able to return the favor or pay it forward in helping others; recoginizing that you have already contributed. :)

I believe many people get confused about "free". In the discussion we are having, there are two meanings we need/want to talk about.

Free - as in FOOS, (as you indicated) as in free speech. One can get the source. One can use the source. One can modify the source. One can share the source.

Free - as in free beer. This needs to be looked at in a more long-range sort of way. In the situation we are discussing, one is not required to exchange currency for the software to complete the immediate transaction. But, when any software marketer asks for registration information, they want something from you because they believe there is value in that registration information. In these sorts of situations, the supplier of the information usually incurs the cost of dealing with future marketing efforts (SPAM).

So, if my statements are in any way valid, FreeOffice is not free in either sense of the word.
Scott

Zill

Postby Zill » 11 Mar 2014 12:32

ScottQuier wrote:... FreeOffice is not free in either sense of the word.
... and therefore cannot be considered "as default office package in SolydX" - the subject of this thread!

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 11 Mar 2014 14:07

Anyone tried Kingsoft Office? http://www.kingsoftstore.com/news/3313- ... pha11.html
They even have it as a .deb http://wps-community.org/download.html
Only a 32 bit version so far. amd64 users need use first:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Also I've seen some distro's just put an installer link for the office package. Libre Office shows up in the menu, but the first time you click on it it downloads and installs the latest version. This is only helpful for the complete newby who hasn't figured out how to use synaptic yet. But if you never use it, it remains uninstalled. This keeps the distro ISO small. The down side is that the first time you use it you have a long wait, even with fast internet.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Mar 2014 19:19

ia32 libs is obsolete and might destroy your 64bit installation :3

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 26 Mar 2014 11:09

Split off the last three posts to a topic of their own -->http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3278

Please, let's keep the disucssion on topic. Thanks! :)
Scott

jaffanz

Postby jaffanz » 15 Apr 2014 20:21

I looked around their site and couldn't find a link to anything that was free except for their 30-day free trial. Did I miss something?[/quote]

Yes you may have.
Downloaded and testing now. Seems to have heaps of interesting things.

Graybyrd

Postby Graybyrd » 18 Apr 2014 10:18

The free download for SoftMaker Free Office for Linux (there is also a free version for Windows) is at:

http://www.freeoffice.com

Yes, they do ask that you register and supply an email address, but this is so they can generate a serial number key for the product, which is then emailed to you. I'm not aware that this was ever used in a malicious or intrusive way afterward. (Disclaimer: years ago I bought an Ashampoo office suite, and later upgraded it to the parent SoftMaker office 2012 for Windows. So I was already registered with them. That generated an email sometime later informing me of the Free Office for Linux. BTW, the full Office 2012 for Linux is $70)

You'll get a serial number to install the suite; note that this is a permanent edition. It is not a trial version, and it does not expire. I've got it on my SolydK and SolydX installations. It works just fine, even on an older Pentium M laptop. As you'd expect, it is a "light" version of their full SoftMaker Office 2012 edition.

Gray

jeffreyC

Postby jeffreyC » 24 Apr 2014 16:07

If they want an email address well then you just give them a web mail "throw away" address.

mspitteler

Postby mspitteler » 08 Aug 2019 08:49

OK, 5 years later Manjaro does exactly what I proposed in 2014.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... f5e56bf467

Cheers!

mspitteler

Postby mspitteler » 08 Aug 2019 09:00

Graybyrd wrote:
18 Apr 2014 10:18
The free download for SoftMaker Free Office for Linux (there is also a free version for Windows) is at:

http://www.freeoffice.com

Yes, they do ask that you register and supply an email address, but this is so they can generate a serial number key for the product, which is then emailed to you. I'm not aware that this was ever used in a malicious or intrusive way afterward. (Disclaimer: years ago I bought an Ashampoo office suite, and later upgraded it to the parent SoftMaker office 2012 for Windows. So I was already registered with them. That generated an email sometime later informing me of the Free Office for Linux. BTW, the full Office 2012 for Linux is $70)

You'll get a serial number to install the suite; note that this is a permanent edition. It is not a trial version, and it does not expire. I've got it on my SolydK and SolydX installations. It works just fine, even on an older Pentium M laptop. As you'd expect, it is a "light" version of their full SoftMaker Office 2012 edition.

Gray
And now FreeOffice will be in the installation images of Manjaro version 18.1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... f5e56bf467

I wonder what might happen if Manjaro builds a commercial image with full version of SoftMaker Office suite and offer it at, let's say U$D 50 apiece?

Cheers!

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”