Kernel Update crashes in Virtual Machine Guest

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
Deleted User 2764

Kernel Update crashes in Virtual Machine Guest

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Nov 2014 13:59

I'm using SolydX64 in a virtual machine. I did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade to get the new updates (since I am not too fond of the Update Manager, personally). It got so far and hung up on this:

Code: Select all

Setting up linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms:
sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unknown command: `m'
Can't CTRL+C out of it either. It just hangs. So I used CTRL+Z to get out and then did this to continue it (since it stuck for so long):

ravenlx@solydx-test:~$ fg 1
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.3.12/build/make.log for more information.

sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unknown command: `m'
After it said 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' I had pressed ENTER, btw. Then the other error popped up. Not sure what happened there? Then it continued with the script:

/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
Anyone else have this problem? It's more than likely related to the fact I'm doing this in a Virtual Machine.

grizzler

Re: Kernel Update crashes in Virtual Machine Guest

Postby grizzler » 27 Nov 2014 15:33

Does the version of the guest addition match the main VB package? Also, 4.3.12 seems a bit old (my main machine has 4.3.18).

I've seen this error (the sed message) on all recent kernel updates, both on metal and in VMs, but it never caused a hang here.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Nov 2014 15:40

I think that it was using the old Guest Additions, and not the recent one. You have a point there. I'm using VirtualBox 4.3.14 right now (whatever is in the repos).

Snap

Postby Snap » 27 Nov 2014 23:32

My VMs updated fine, but I'm using the last VirtualBox and guest additions. 4.3.20. Like grizzler, no issues here with the last kernel updates in a few VMs.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Nov 2014 23:51

My SolydX VM is now a mess after updating the Guest Additions.
ScreenAMess_ravenlx.jpg

Snap

Postby Snap » 27 Nov 2014 23:55

Do the guest additions version match the Virtualbox version?

You can find them here. Look for the proper version

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 00:01

Yeah. Because I installed it from the machine Device menu (inserted the guest additions ISO). I went in and removed them using the package manager and the display is still a mess. :?

Snap

Postby Snap » 28 Nov 2014 00:06

It happened something similar once with one distro but cannot remember how I solved it. :oops:

You only keep a single Guest Additions version iso into your VMs folder, don't you? I always remove the old ones just in case.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 00:11

No, I didn't put any guest additions iso in any folder. That is all a part of VirtualBox. I just add the guest additions cd-rom by going into the guest machine while on, Device menu and Insert guest additions. Then the CD is mounted. From there I open that folder for the CD, run the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run and it installs it. It comes with the VirtualBox when VirtualBox is installed. I have no clue where they put the iso when it installs VirtualBox.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 01:15

I tried reinstalling the guest additions for 4.3.12 (what was in there before) and still it is the same. At one point I did get this (before I tried the 4.3.12 guest additions). Popped up when I went to right click in Firefox:

An error has occurred during virtual machine execution! The error details are shown below. You may try to correct the error and resume the virtual machine execution.
VMDK: inconsistency between grain table and backup grain table in '/media/VM/Machines/SolydX-ISOTest/SolydX-ISOTest.vmdk'.
I think it's borked. I can't get the guest additions to work and can't use shared folders. So my day's work is lost. :( I'm trying to .zip it but getting all kinds of errors that the name is not matched. If I can get that updated iso directory archived, it'll be easier to FTP to another virtual machine that shares with the host.

Still working on it.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 02:34

Ok, I've rescued the files I needed. I think that there's a problem after updating (note that this was a VM that was updated a couple times at least). It blitzes the Guest Additions and when you try to reinstall, your display (parts of it like taskbar, terminal, some dialog boxes) get messy. I have no idea why.

Snap

Postby Snap » 28 Nov 2014 06:25

I never use the built in GA CD iso. I always download the matching version for that site I posted before, put it into the VMs folder along with all the VMs and then I mount it from the menu the same way you do, but that particular iso I dropped in is the one mounted. It uses to work for many distros, some others doesn't, like Chakra to just mention one. You need to use the GA from their own repos.

For SolydXK always this worked for me whenever I updated VirtualBox because the default GA in the repos is old and stopped matching. Lately it uses to complain (for SolydXK) when installing GA telling something like the version installed was from the distro repos and not fromVB or something like that, but it always works.

About sharing folders, I barely use them. It's much faster and easier to use fish in both directions within Dolphin or Konqueror in SolydK. I don't know if thunar can do this for SolydX, but surely you can still use sftp or other protocols. To go from guest to host I have to change nothing in the default network config. To access guests from the host file manager I need to change the guest network config to bridged instead of NAT. That's all. Just type fish://hostIP or fish://hostIP/home/username or fish://user@host etc... Then you can add the target (or favorite targets) to places in Dolphin and no IPs typing needed anymore. just click on it and the login window pops up. Easy as a cake.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 06:40

Sorry, I already gave up. I got the files I needed and deleted the VM. I think I'll try to redo the SolydX VM sometime soon using a fresh new ISO.

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”