32-bit Support?

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
Graybyrd

32-bit Support?

Postby Graybyrd » 01 Feb 2015 00:34

Did dist-upgrade from SolydX HE Wheezy to SolydX Jessie last evening, following Terminal process posted on board (with new repo list). Had some package breaks & error freezes, but solved those & completed the upgrade. Now running SolydX "Jessie" on 32-bit Pentium 4, 686 PAE threaded.

QUESTION: I see that 32-bit distro's of SolydXK are now discontinued. How long can I expect to run this 32-bit install with linkage to SolydX repository? This machine/install is my primary Linux desktop home setup; also for wife's machines but I've not 'upgraded' hers from Wheezy yet. So ... what does the future hold for us 32-bit users on the SolydXK distro re: support?

Thanks.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: 32-bit Support?

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 07:22

The SolydXK applications will continue to support both 64-bit and 32-bit versions and the community, lead by RavenLX and Grizzler, intend to maintain the ISOs. When they're done, they will be made available on the Community Editions page in the Download section of the main site.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Graybyrd

Re: 32-bit Support?

Postby Graybyrd » 01 Feb 2015 07:44

Thank you! It's very nice to hear, and here's a word of appreciation to the skilled volunteers who make this possible. You folks do a great service to the user community.

For what it's worth, SolydXK has been a superb distro from the beginning. With SolydXK, along with #! Linux on our older laptops, we've been quite pleased to have moved (mostly) away from Windows.

Speaking of Windows, continuing support for Wine in the Linux community is essential; after all, it's the apps that make computers useful, and there are still a great many holes in the Linux repos that don't quite fill the gap. (But each year that hole seems to get smaller ... :P )

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”