Greybird-Solydx/Desktop Icon Label Text Color

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
nbi

Re: Greybird-Solydx/Desktop Icon Label Text Color

Postby nbi » 09 Dec 2016 21:05

Zill wrote:^ +1
nbi wrote:... Someone needs to investigate how greybird-solydx is munging up the system.

May I respectfully suggest that this "someone" could be you? From the old, but still very relevant, document "Linux is Not Windows"...
Problem #3: Culture shock

The biggest cause of friction tends to be in the online interactions: A "3a" user new to Linux asks for help with a problem he's having. When he doesn't get that help at what he considers an acceptable rate, he starts complaining and demanding more help. Because that's what he's used to doing with paid-for tech support. The problem is that this isn't paid-for support. This is a bunch of volunteers who are willing to help people with problems out of the goodness of their hearts. The new user has no right to demand anything from them, any more than somebody collecting for charity can demand larger donations from contributors.

Simply remember that you haven't paid the developer who wrote the software or the people online who provide the tech support. They don't owe you anything.

Why don't you pull your head out of your backside for a second and think about what was said? You know exactly what about my level of linux usage and knowledge? That's what I thought.

And I don't like people putting words in my mouth. I didn't demand anything, if I had such a demand would be directed at a specific person or group. I didn't start this thread, but only added an observation and recommendation after it was clear that I'm not the only one having issues with this. As a distro maintainer I'd want as much feedback as possible and wouldn't take such feedback as a personal disparagement. But fine, I'll stay mum from now on and you folks can cock it up to your heart's content.

As for you limey you can bugger off if you don't like it!

Zill

Re: Greybird-Solydx/Desktop Icon Label Text Color

Postby Zill » 11 Dec 2016 11:48

nbi: Personal abuse does not help resolve anything.

You are correct in that I do not know your "level of linux usage and knowledge", largely because you never introduced yourself when you first posted in Feb 2014. A user's introductory post explaining their Linux history is always welcomed by the community.

From your comments in this thread, you implied that "someone else" is responsible for fixing the theme problem.

My pointer to the "Linux is not Windows" document was simply a reminder that, in the FOSS world, we are all responsible for fixing problems.

As you discovered this specific problem with greybird-solydx, you could have offered help in tracking down the exact cause and then testing any resulting patch.

I would also add that, rather than resurrect a long-dead thread, it would have been more useful to open a new bug-report.

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”