Terminal customization - more questions

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
ilu

Terminal customization - more questions

Postby ilu » 21 May 2015 14:32

I'm using the terminal to log into a remote machine and I would like to use mc there. As mc depends heavily on function keys I'm getting into conflicts with the terminal which wouldn't let me use them (or which doesn't send them to the remote in a correct way). Directly on the remote the function keys work. I think it has something to do with the terminal emulation and a file named /etc/termcap.
I know I could replace the function keys with some other keys but as I use Norton Commander clones since araund 1986 I would not want to do that. I found out that I can probably configure the terminal in a way that would send the correct sequences to the remote but before I delve into doing that I would like to know whether I can keep a unconfigured standard terminal at the same time. (Because when I use mc on my machine everything works ok just not on the remote ..)
So I need a startup parameter for the terminal where I point to a modified configuration file, let's say ~/.config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc.modified - but it seems that such a startup parameter does not exist.
Or am I approaching this the wrong way? Should I install another terminal app instead to use when I connect to the remote? Which one should I try?

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”