Audio EQ (for youtube and VLC)

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
aWanderer

Audio EQ (for youtube and VLC)

Postby aWanderer » 31 Oct 2015 03:12

My S715i Logitec speakers seem to have a default equalizer setting of 'boomy' which makes listening to them tiring. I have been in the habit of going into VLC's equalizer every time I open a long podcast and lowering the bass manually. VLC will not save the EQ settings. It occured to me that there must be global EQ software that can fix my problem. I found ALSAEQUAL but after installation of it and Alsamixergui I am at a loss for how to get it to do anything. Alsamixergui doesn't seem to have many options beyond 'mute'. Has anyone else solved this problem in the past?

kurotsugi

Re: Audio EQ (for youtube and VLC)

Postby kurotsugi » 31 Oct 2015 10:02

I also look into this issue but so far I haven't found a proper solution for this yet. alsamixer doesn't correspond with alsaeq so you need to tune it manually either by terminal command or create a custom config for it. it should work if you only use alsa but pulseaudio might makes the situation a lil bit more compleks. another solution would be using pulse's eq, but it obsolete and I'm not sure if it will work with the current pulse.

Zill

Postby Zill » 31 Oct 2015 12:18

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 31 Oct 2015 12:26

I think I've found the best solution for pulse user. I'm assuming that you're also using pulse so you can use this trick. this is an enhanced version of this old tutorial http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5725. perhaps it worth to read that thread to understand how it work.

in our case with equalizer we'll use CAPS.

Code: Select all

#install pre-requisities
sudo aptitude install caps pavucontrol

#load equalizer module
pacmd load-module module-ladspa-sink sink_name=kuroz plugin=caps label=Eq10 control=5,5,-3,-3,0,0,2,2,0,0
after load the module don't forget to change your app stream to LADSPA stream just like what we did with bs2b. note that in our case we use Eq10 plugin provided by caps plugins. basicly it's an equalizer with 10 parameter. the parameter defined by control are respectifully : 31khz, 63khz, 125khz, 250khz, 500khz, 1khz, 2khz, 4khz, 8khz, 16khz. the number's are in desibel, just like common equalizer.

unfortunately we don't have a GUI to change the equalizer parameter. you'll need to do that manually from terminal. you'll also need to restart pulse if you want to change the parameter. so far this is my favourite setting

5,5,-3,-3,0,0,2,2,0,0
the 1st and 2nd parameter are the region of deep bass. I give it high value since I have crappy headphone with bad low freq response. giving it higher value will give me soft and deep bass effect. you might want to give lower value this parameter (perhaps 3 or 4). the 3rd and 4th are the region of your problem. most of fatiguing low freq comes from here. hence, I gave them low value. the rest parameter are specially tuned for my hardware. perhaps you'll want to keep it flat on zero to get natural response of your audio setup.

after find your best parameter setup you can add this line to /etc/pulse/default.pa so that it will loaded on boot.

#load equalizer
load-module module-ladspa-sink sink_name=kuroz plugin=caps label=Eq10 control=5,5,-3,-3,0,0,2,2,0,0

it might a lil bit inconvenience to do it from terminal but the good news is that you can get a powerfull audio enhancer for your system. aside from bs2b, caps also include :
- noisegate - a noise reduction system
- audio compressor
- amplifier tone stack
- plate reverb
- reverb
- chorus etc.

you can also other LADSPA plugin.

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 02 Nov 2015 03:47

Zil, that method of setting the VLC EQ numbers has never worked for me :(

Wow, Kurotsugi this seems like a neat trick! My system needed a reboot to get it working but I think it's doing something now, thank you!

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”