Does not auto mount Ext HD

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
Redraw

Does not auto mount Ext HD

Postby Redraw » 28 Aug 2017 01:04

When I downloaded SolydK OS decided to get SolydX for a future laptop never thought that I'd be not liking KDE structure ( dropping the cube's features , search page , aahhh , and the software center enormous icons ( that really did it ) with no zoom out must have designed by the same mob that designed win10 start page with its big squares ) looks awful
I just looked at the above , I think I like Brackets , was Going to put this in brackets too .

Installed SolydX on the desktop and eventually got everything running the it should and the way I like to be ( panels are great great great) and the Packages center offering the extra addons , simple clean and sensible a bit similar to Synaptic ( nice )

Upon reboot found the 2 external hard drives did not mount checked again the settings for ext HDs that looked fine checked with Thunar seemed OK ,checked and rechecked settings and Thunar over and over and rebooting over and over just see if , but no , would ( will ) not auto mount external hard drives and still doesn't

What have I missed here
There has to be something I've missed , the connections are all unchanged I have never had to disconnect or move them since first installed hard drives few years back ( waiting for SSDs to get bigger and cheaper )

the hard drives mount and open only manually , not auto
but it's set to auto mount but they don't listen at start up

in settings , removable drives , storage ,
the first three options checked , mounted hot plugged , mount inserted , browse inserted
the last two options unchecked , auto-run , auto-open

if I were to forget to mount and open the 2 HDs
makes it difficult for Clementine and DigiKam

If anyone has any ideas about what is causing this
Really most appreciated any advice
Don't want to manually mount and open Ext HDs every time I boot up .
Thank you
a walk and some fresh air air seems a good idea about now

ilu

Re: Does not auto mount Ext HD

Postby ilu » 28 Aug 2017 13:08

Thunar should do that. Follow this http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/using-removable-media#managing_removable_drives_and_media instruction. If you added the HDDs in fstab, remove that entry.

If it still doesn't work post the output of:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l thunar*
dpkg -l udisk*
dpkg -l gvfs*
inxi -Fxz

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 28 Aug 2017 13:51

Hello ilu
I don't know what is fstab
All I did was install SolydX 9 OS add a few apps nothing else ooh adjust the desktop appearance , thats it .
and this is the output of that you wanted

Code: Select all

redraw@solydx9:~$ dpkg -l thunar*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  thunar         1.6.11-1     amd64        File Manager for Xfce
ii  thunar-archive 0.3.1-4      amd64        Archive plugin for Thunar file ma
ii  thunar-data    1.6.11-1     all          Provides thunar documentation, ic
ii  thunar-media-t 0.2.1-1+b2   amd64        Media tags plugin for Thunar file
ii  thunar-volman  0.8.1-2      amd64        Thunar extension for volumes mana
redraw@solydx9:~$ dpkg -l udisk*
ii  udisks2        2.1.8-1      amd64        D-Bus service to access and manip
redraw@solydx9:~$ dpkg -l gvfs*
ii  gvfs:amd64     1.30.4-1     amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - GI
ii  gvfs-backends  1.30.4-1     amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - ba
ii  gvfs-bin       1.30.4-1     amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - bi
ii  gvfs-common    1.30.4-1     all          userspace virtual filesystem - co
ii  gvfs-daemons   1.30.4-1     amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - se
ii  gvfs-fuse      1.30.4-1     amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - fu
ii  gvfs-libs:amd6 1.30.4-1     amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - pr
redraw@solydx9:~$ inxi -Fxz

OK then .

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 28 Aug 2017 15:13

Just to see what happens I switched on the 4TB HD used only for Lucky backup same thing on reboot as the 2 HDs not mounting , gee yep .
Maybe I should go back to K9 learn to live with it um

ilu

Postby ilu » 28 Aug 2017 15:52

If you don't know what fstab is - good, so you did not change anything there. All necessary packages seem to be installed. Did you follow the instruction to set up Thunar in http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/using-removable-media#managing_removable_drives_and_media?

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 28 Aug 2017 15:54

Yes yes I did follow instructions
at the moment I 'm on a live CD of K9 and the HDDs mounted and thats on live CD of K9 , But ilu when I did X9 live cd the HDDs did not mount .

tardy

Postby tardy » 28 Aug 2017 17:41

I don't use XFCE, so I can't be of much help, but I did just download the SolydX9 iso and burn it to DVD.

Using 2 different computers, I plugged in two Seagate 2TB external HDDs and started the live DVD. The drives were not automounted at boot.

So I can verify that, at least in the live environment, I can reproduce the issue.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 28 Aug 2017 22:33

Thanks so much Tardy for all the work you did to verify the that it is not an iso-lated case , goodness me bad humor , getit , ooh no too early need another cuppa
I rebooted this morning in SolydK9 Live with-out the 2 HDDs and was thinking about dropping SolydX9 ( very sad ) got to liking it almost immediately

and thought go see item in forum yes cheerful news it's can happen to others ( makes one feel not so um yeah ) so I'll will be sticking With this to see how it can be resolved so now I'm fresh out of Ideas (sorry )

SolydX9 is still installed on SSD

When I do have the HDDs running and all the tweaks working it is an great OS with all the trimmings and extras sorted and it's working it really well , untill reboot so this problem is getting in the way of getting any real work done on a day after day basis but I think it's worth the effort to fix this issue

Looks like loong hours to get other projects done , thems the breaks .
but will try to do what can be done and help improve and make it solid again ( ooh geez )

This is far tooo early for me to let loose , I'm going back in my cave .

ilu

Postby ilu » 28 Aug 2017 23:56

Since you need to configure Thunar first automount can't work on the livesystem. And configuration of the ISO can't be changed since there are valid reasons to not automount external disks. External disks are typically used for backup and you don't want your backup mounted when disaster strikes your system ...

tardy

Postby tardy » 29 Aug 2017 00:51

ilu wrote:...automount can't work on the livesystem.

OK, that makes sense. But I think Redraw has installed SolydX and still can't get his external drives to automount. Is that typical behaviour for XFCE?

Perhaps he'll have to make manual mounting of the drives part of a start-up ritual; I've certainly had more elaborate rituals in the past :) .

-- EDIT -- Well, a little googling suggetsts that there's no quick and easy (meaning GUI) way to get XFCE to automount external HDDs at boot. But since I don't have XFCE installed to metal, I can't verify that with 100% certainty.

If that is indeed correct, you would have to manually edit your fstab file, adding the UUIDs of the external disks.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 29 Aug 2017 04:04

Tardy is correct i do have SolydX9 installed on the desktop But I also have a few Questions now

Q1 - typical behavior for xfce , having to manually mount the HDDs at start-up , so why offer these option in settings ?

Q2 - what is this thing about fstab ? ( again ) , I tell you now I'm not wanting to go down that road , sounds like more problems than it's worth

Q3 - What is fstab ? and UUID of the external drives ? ( OK now I am really drowning here )

A little more detail about the set of the desktop , I have Used this combination for years never had any problems with of this or any problem at all it was set up by a someone I knew could trust who knew a lot about computers and linux
if you are wondering why I don't ask Kevin it's because he is no longer with us . OK !
the set is this
The Tower with SSD 120 something GB that has the operating system and only the operating system and downloads during any online session then we go to the 2 HDDs , No1 1TB HDD is for any and all paperwork , documents , books , wallpapers etc etc , No2 1TB HDD is for music , then there is No3 a 4TB HDD switched on and used only for Luckybackup it is never switched on if I am online or when doing everyday routine stuff it's only for backup and the only time it's running is then .

I hope that give an idea of or about the set up but please don't forget the questions for me they are going to be the decision makers SolydX9 or SolydK9 ???

tardy

Postby tardy » 29 Aug 2017 05:42

I'll leave Question 1 to be answered by someone who uses XFCE and has it installed. However, from a quick poking about via Google, it appears that you may not be able to easily automount external drives at boot - and by easily, I mean through a GUI. But again, I don't use XFCE and I haven't done an install to verify that automounting at boot doesn't work. I'm a KDE guy through and through.

For Questions 2 and 3: UUID is a Universal Unique IDentifier - basically, it's like a serial number. Each of your disks has one.

fstab is a configuration file (located at /etc/fstab) that is used to automatically mount partitions. One way to get your external drives automounted at boot would be to add their UUIDs to this file, and set the appropriate options (and I'm not entirely sure what the best options are with regards to external USB drives). Honestly, if you haven't done this sort of thing before, this is probably not the best project to start learning to edit fstab. As you can imagine, messing around with boot configuration files can leave you unable to boot at all.

Automounting external drives at boot works fine in KDE and also LXDE (the 2 dektop environments that I currently run); if XFCE doesn't permit it I'm a bit surprised. Hopefully one of the XFCE users will get a definitive answer for you.

Or, worst-case scenario, maybe you could get in the habit of manually mounting those 2 volumes when you first log in. Do it the cool way - open a terminal and type "sudo mount -a" - and all your friends will be amazed at your elite hacking skills :clap: .

Redraw

Re: [ RESOLVED ]Does not auto mount Ext HD

Postby Redraw » 29 Aug 2017 06:37

Thanks Tardy I was doing some looking around as well not google , duckduckgo same thing i found as you did xfce does usually mount ext HDDs so why offer the options of auto start , BUT if I read this correctly its not on startup but on pluging in as on KDE its on startup gee wiz ,on a fresh note if someone is brave enough xubuntu has a script that will give a GUI maybe good but not for me I 'm A staying on Solyd and I guess its going to be SolydK9 who will be taming who I've yet to see seems I'm going to learn some 'patience", Ooh and Linux Questions . org has a few conversations about this auto start in xfce but for the majorities it seems not do-able . so hey , Learnt something , didn"t destroy anything , maybe a few days of work .

Taxi back to KDE and step on it

[ RESOLVED ]

To Believe In Gardening Is to Believe In Tomorrow

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 29 Aug 2017 12:01

Effort expended in understanding as much of the underpinnings of one's tools is never wasted effort. This is doubly true with most things Linux.

I have found the Arch Linux Wiki to be a wealth of relevant information. If I have a question about configuration settings, how things work, what "this file" does, etc - the Arch Linux Wiki is one of my first stops.

Along those lines, if you want to better understand what /etc/fstab file does for you ... this page is a good place to start. Reading this page while, at the same time, looking at your copy of the file can be very educational.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Aug 2017 13:27

fstab won't help with automounting. Don't mess with fstab if you are not completely sure what you are doing.

Afaik automount at bootup doesn't work on xfce. I'm not sure whether that will work in any system. But automount at login should work using Thunar as explained in the link I posted - I can't test because I don't have an external HDD. The usual behaviour is to mount at plugin so this has to be configured.

Anyway, XFCE is a more basic system and misses some of the bells and whistles KDE has. So if you need them, you are better off with KDE.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 30 Aug 2017 01:12

Thanks ScottQuier I will look up those sites for a bit more understanding after I have recovered , me not the desktop , too many late nites I
t's always good to know and possibly even understand a bit more ( feels like the more I learn the more Q s I have and so I need to learn more ( egg and chicken ))

Ilu I wont be messing about with the fstab seems a bit hazardous for someone with my knowledge and expertise HAHA
also that desktop of yours that was a link somewhere in the forum looked dam good and that was the reason I went to the X , and spending a few days over there I did learn quite a few thing so I m Happy about how it all turn out because with the help from the community nothing got broken or damaged in the desktop and everything was cool .

Go with caution to the X HAHAhaha

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”