Better way to store system customizations

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
ilu

Better way to store system customizations

Postby ilu » 15 Mar 2018 00:19

Since I regularly forget to backup some of my system customizations I'm thinking about a system that would work better. I want a way to make cloning my system with all custom settings easier. Just cloning home is not enough because some of the customizations are in /etc (as is no-recommends for apt) and /usr/share (backdrops). It's especially detrimental if I start installing stuff before setting no-recommends.

/opt/local or /usr/local could be a good place, It's almost empty except for my vbox and printer setup which I would want to backup anyway. But FHS wouldn't like that usage and I'm not sure how to get all relevant stuff there anyway. I'd need symlinks pointing to /usr/local or /opt/local but those would be overwritten with the next SolydX install anyway so still kind of no use ...

Backing up the whole /etc and /usr/share wouldn't work either because then I would miss out on updates from schoelje and get into conflict if configurations change upstream.

Any idea about how to organize this?

kurotsugi

Re: Better way to store system customizations

Postby kurotsugi » 15 Mar 2018 08:46

i haven't tried it myself but symlink supposed to be work. you can pick one place (preferably somewhere in /home) then replace everything else with symlinks. on a rolling system like debian, it only need to be done once. do it, then forget it. though, the caveat would be it might lil bit complicated if you want to restore the config files on a fresh reinstalled system.

HighFive

Postby HighFive » 20 Mar 2018 17:02

ilu,

Will clonezilla meet your needs?

http://clonezilla.org/
SolydK-9 64bit, Lenovo X140e 11.6 inch netbook.

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Mar 2018 17:31

@clonezilla: I don't think so. I don't want to clone my whole system, just some adjustments I usually make. Maybe I should try to learn packaging because having a cusomized deb-file should solve the problem, shouldn't it?

HighFive

Postby HighFive » 20 Mar 2018 18:06

Well, the hard way is to do what I do. I log all of my personal customizations in a log file. I then keep that log file on Dropbox, or pCloud. Then I have a link in my home dir to that cloud file. Granted, that doesn't back up the original & customized files, but at least I have a record of what I've done so I can repeat it if I want/need to do that.

I like pCloud because it doesn't keep all of the files you put into it on your local hard drive. But, it does have one sync directory that does do that. So, you could keep a log file in that sync folder to have a copy in the cloud and one copy on the local machine.

So, you could keep a copy of all your customized files in that sync folder as well.

If you're looking for something automatic, you'll have to find something that scans you whole system and backs up only the changed files. Maybe rsync or rdiff-backup could do that. But, that might be kind of resource expensive. You might want to have cron do that once a day/week or ?

Just some thoughts.

Edit: Yeah, a customized deb file would be the perfect solution, I think.
SolydK-9 64bit, Lenovo X140e 11.6 inch netbook.

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”