Installing new theme

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
xendistar

Installing new theme

Postby xendistar » 01 Oct 2018 16:15

I have downloaded a new theme to try on my SolydX EE

Instructions said to unpack it and put it in your .theme folder in your home directory, if you don't have that folder simply make it, so I did. Could not see the new theme in settings >> appearance

Had a look where the other themes were installed ( /usr/share/themes) and so I dropped the theme package in there, did it show up nope, logged off and logged back on again nothing...............

Everything on Google says put it in your .theme folder or make one if it is not there, would somebody please advise what kind of sorcery I need to learn how to load and access new themes please :?

kurotsugi

Re: Installing new theme

Postby kurotsugi » 02 Oct 2018 03:44

it either the theme doesn't contain the correct theme or you put wrong files in .theme. the folder should contain the theme folder while the the folder should contain the correct theme (i.e: for xfce you'll need gtk2-0, gtk3-0, xfwm, xfce4-notify, etc. ).

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 02 Oct 2018 16:47

OK first my apology, the first theme I tried, when I looked closer it was not actually for xfce but rather Gnome Mate (duispite being on an XFCE page) so I have dumped that.

I have now tried with another theme but that does not work either. It has lots of files as kurotsugi suggests, it is in a folder in my home folder called ./themes

Here the instruction file that comes with the Theme

Code: Select all

Installation
=============

1) Extract main .tar.gz archive

2) Copy each folder to the ".themes" folder (it's a hidden folder in your home 
   directory). If there isn't any ".themes" folder in your home directory 
   then create it.
I have logged off and back in again, but nothing (new) is showing in Settings >> Appearance??

I have also added it to /usr/share/themes

Any thoughts

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 02 Oct 2018 19:42

Don't know what changed but they are showing now and working,

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”