File listings don't always appear in order

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
xendistar

File listings don't always appear in order

Postby xendistar » 30 Dec 2018 20:04

Have a look at the image below:
file-listing.jpg
On the left is an open file dialogue box in Mousepad, on the right is the same folder as listed in Thunar. The one on the right is how I expect to see both the open file dialogue window and the file listing window. I found the the settings to change to make the file listing in Thunar look as it does in the right image, but where do I find the setting to change the listing order of the left hand image so it exactly the same as that in the right hand image.

The open file dialogue box does not always appears as it does in my image , for instance if I open Libre Writer and then go to open a file in the download folder it appears as it does in Thunar (the righthand image), so this may be down to individual programs but being xfce\gtk 2.0 I was hoping that there would be a common configuration.

For the record I had to tweak the settings in /home/me/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini file to get the file listing in Thunar to appear as it does in my righthand image, prior to making that tweak Thunar looked like the Open file window on the left.

Any suggestions?

ilu

Re: File listings don't always appear in order

Postby ilu » 30 Dec 2018 20:11

Click the appropriate header fields to sort according to that field. It's the same in Thunar, Mousepad and any program that uses the standard open dialog.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 30 Dec 2018 20:50

Does not work, while it does change the listing into ascending or descending order it does not place the directory's first then the files as it does in Thunar, it place the entire list into ascending or descending order with the directory's mixed in with the files as per the lefthand image in my first post.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Dec 2018 21:30

It's a gtk thing. Do you have the dconf editor installed? Go to /org/gtk/settings/file-chooser and change the sort-directories-first setting.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 30 Dec 2018 21:59

That's the one, as soon as I read that I remembered doing it before, thanks for the memory jog!!

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”