SUDO issue-resolved

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
mistergil

SUDO issue-resolved

Postby mistergil » 24 Mar 2019 17:37

Hello.
Installing Solydx 07-2019 on multiple refurbished units. These are clean installs on wiped drives with ongoing installation updating.
The issue I am having is being unable to modify any users. .for example adding or removing them as root merely hangs the system but does not crash it. I'm certain that it is something related to SUDO that I have overlooked or not installed. I'd appreciate any advise as I have looked and not found a solution. It is definitely something software because different mfg'd units (Jetway, Zotac, Lenovo, HP) all end up with the same problem. Appreciate any advice and thank you.
Reg. #439601

ilu

Re: SUDO issue

Postby ilu » 24 Mar 2019 21:58

Nobody can give any advice unless you post what you tried to do - exactly, that is. System specs might not matter in this case but the commands you used and the output. Or did you use a GUI - in which case, what GUI and how did you start it?

mistergil

Postby mistergil » 25 Mar 2019 08:36

Thank you for your reply.
To clarify- Solydx is run live and then installed using the iso's live installer gui. Installations are basic from the iso without any changes. Once the installation is complete the units are restarted as root to setup additional user profiles. The installation uses "user" and "solydx" as a pwd entered during the installer prompts. Once installation is complete and the units restarted in root it is not possible to remove or add a user because when the user dialog is opened in root any modification in the user dialogs will not complete but hangs. Sorry but don't know what else to explain.
Reg. #439601

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Mar 2019 08:52

...the units restarted in root...
If I understand correctly, you login as root after which the graphical environment (Xfce in your case) is started. If that is the case, that might explain why you have problems. The graphical environment and the graphical programs are made to be used as a normal user, not root. If a program needs root privileges to complete a task, it will ask for the user's password and as long as the user has sudo permissions, that is no problem.

The Live Installer creates the first user with sudo permissions. So, you only have to login as that user (not root) and use the user's password when a program needs root privileges.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Mar 2019 16:01

Never login as root. Never ever. Not even on a server. Get root privileges after login. That's what sudo is for.

mistergil

Postby mistergil » 02 Apr 2019 14:19

Thank you.
I now understand the issue and consider it to be resolved.
Reg. #439601

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”