Fumble fingers and Solydxk 10

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
mhwelsh

Fumble fingers and Solydxk 10

Postby mhwelsh » 08 Jun 2019 15:21

The first annoyance is if I use that much swap I will be forced to repartition the disk.
Why do I need that much /boot/efi - I can remember when you had to make do with 250K of memory only, then Windoze cme along!

One unsubstantiated occurence, SolydK would not work when it was the only system loaded. Solydk would.
Solydk works when solydx is already loaded.

Now a personal gripe/request.
When I first installed Solydx it had a full length taskbar .
When I reinstalled it it gave me a choice and I ignorantly chose the wrong one and got the short task bar in the bottom centre of the screen.
How do I get the task bar that is the whole screen width again?

The system seems to cope with all of the simple tasks that I have given it and it seems to have improved the performance of the Intel NUC Wireless Adapter.. Time will tell.

martin welsh

ilu

Re: Fumble fingers and Solydxk 10

Postby ilu » 08 Jun 2019 20:47

mhwelsh wrote:The first annoyance is if I use that much swap I will be forced to repartition the disk.
You can choose swap size on install.
mhwelsh wrote:Why do I need that much /boot/efi - I can remember when you had to make do with 250K of memory only, then Windoze cme along!
Times change. I don't think Win is to blame here, Linux also stores bootcode there. The more systems you install the more bootcode you get ... running out of space later is detrimental because that would force you to repartition.
mhwelsh wrote:One unsubstantiated occurence, SolydK would not work when it was the only system loaded. Solydk would.
Solydk works when solydx is already loaded.
I'm confused :?
mhwelsh wrote:How do I get the task bar that is the whole screen width again?
I'm guessing you mean the panel. Did you try right-clicking the panel and choosing properties?

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 09 Jun 2019 12:05

The first two items are a Luddite screaming about the advances that have taken place while he is sleeping.

Having an empty disk I tried to install Solydk just /boot/efi, root, home and swap. Partitions 1, 2, 3, 4 It installed without error but when I tried to start the machine it would not start.
I then tried Solydx in partitions 1, 2, 3, 4.
It loaded and started the machine ok.
It is unsubstantated because that is what I remember and remembering is a bit flaky these days.

The task bar, your panel, referred to comprises 6 icons in a group, bottom centre of the screen. Minimise, Terminal, File Manager, Web Browser, Application Finder and the /home/martin Folder.

I would like to have it like the KDE version which shares the whole length with what I think of as the Start/Stop control, Show Desktop, active Applications and starting from the right icons offering application start ups and running services.

I have tried right clicking in and around the panel area and I see Desktop Properties or Panel Preferences which nearly gets to what I would like by selectin 100% width.

Thank you for your patience.

martin welsh

bin

Postby bin » 10 Jun 2019 11:53

ilu wrote:
08 Jun 2019 20:47
mhwelsh wrote:The first annoyance is if I use that much swap I will be forced to repartition the disk.
You can choose swap size on install.
Out of interest I was - apparently - forced to provide a SWAP file minimum 2G or no install would be possible. I have 4G RAM so that follows the old adage of 50% swap. This was on a SolydX 9 install - so I have repartitioned and kept it but it was annoying at the time - Now on EE/10

I have never in all my linux life of some 20+ years ever got remotely near hitting SWAP and usually just have 1GB set aside.

What's wrong with using ZRAM for SWAP instead?

ilu

Postby ilu » 10 Jun 2019 14:59

This sounds like a bug but since it apparently was on an old SolydX9 release and we are now busy preparing SolydX10 it's probably not worth digging into. SolydX10/EE installed fine without swap, right?

bin

Postby bin » 11 Jun 2019 06:44

ilu wrote:
10 Jun 2019 14:59
This sounds like a bug but since it apparently was on an old SolydX9 release and we are now busy preparing SolydX10 it's probably not worth digging into. SolydX10/EE installed fine without swap, right?
Just tried on a different machine - Acer laptop - and installed EE with no swap required - there is one on the drive but it was not selected in the installer and does not show in fstab - so all good :)

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”