KDE upgrade script did not work, help needed

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
stonedaze

KDE upgrade script did not work, help needed

Postby stonedaze » 09 Aug 2017 17:56

I updated my desktop from Solydk-8 to Solydk-9 and ran into a few problems. The script seemed to have ended really fast compared to my laptop at home and it booted up to a blank screen with mouse pointer. I believe I fixed that by running an update and upgrade from the command prompt, then I ran the update script again and it seemed to have finished normally this time. I also purged all the packages in the obsolete.txt file.

I noticed my Grub screen wallpaper is still the old Solydxk image instead of the new KDE image I have on my laptop, and it still lists Solydk 8 as my main distribution. Everything seems to be working fine but when trying to tweek some settings I noticed that I still have solydk-system-adjustments-8 installed and I can't purge it. I get this message:

Code: Select all

Removing solydk-system-adjustments-8 (2.7.3) ...
find: ‘/etc/xdg/menus/debian-menu.menu’: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package solydk-system-adjustments-8 (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 solydk-system-adjustments-8
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried creating a debian-menu.menu file in that location, but that just gives me more errors and I'm still unable to remove v8 or install solydk-system-adjustments-9. I'm not sure if it's related but I've also noticed that while my lightdm-manager in not installed, I do have "lightdm" and "lightdm-gtk-greeter" installed, but not "lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings". Is that correct?

Also, I know updatemanager is no longer used, but I have some type of Debian upgrade notifier on my laptop (not sure of the name), but that's also missing on my desktop so i have no way of knowing if there's any upgrades available without doing it manually.

One other thing, on both my desktop and laptop, I can't open Solydxk System Settings. From the terminal I get this output on both my computers:

user@athlon64 ~ $ solydxk-system
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/solydxk/system/main.py", line 12, in <module>
    from solydxk_system import SolydXKSystemSettings
  File "/usr/lib/solydxk/system/solydxk_system.py", line 13, in <module>
    from udisks2 import Udisks2
  File "/usr/lib/solydxk/system/udisks2.py", line 8, in <module>
    gi.require_version('UDisks', '2.0')
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 118, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace UDisks not available

Thank You.

ilu

Re: SolydXK-9 RC2: testing upgrade, ISOs, changes and more

Postby ilu » 09 Aug 2017 20:39

stonedaze wrote:Also, I know updatemanager is no longer used, but I have some type of Debian upgrade notifier on my laptop (not sure of the name), but that's also missing on my desktop so i have no way of knowing if there's any upgrades available without doing it manually.

I've mentioned this issue further up on this page: pk-update-icon for SolydX has been forgotten in the update script.

stonedaze

Postby stonedaze » 09 Aug 2017 21:13

Thanks, ilu, I missed that. I forgot to mention, i'm using KDE desktop...is that still the same update icon I need? I was finally able to uninstall solydk-system-adjustments-8 by creating that "debian-menu.menu" file and the subsequent errors pointed me towards var/lib/dpkg/info/solyd-system-adjustments-8.prerm. I commented out the lines giving me the errors and was able to get adjustments-9 installed but with more errors. I tried the following:

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/solyd-system-adjustments*
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update

That seemed like it worked since a reinstall of adjustments-9 didn't give me any more errors, but when i just installed "pk-update-icon" I got the same errors concerning adjustments-9 again:

dpkg-divert: error: mismatch on package
  when removing 'diversion of /usr/share/wallpapers/joy_inksplat/contents/images/1280x1024.png by solydk-system-adjustments-9'
  found 'diversion of /usr/share/wallpapers/joy_inksplat/contents/images/1280x1024.png to /usr/share/wallpapers/joy_inksplat/contents/images/1280x1024.png.divert by solydk-system-adjustments'
dpkg: error processing package solydk-system-adjustments-9 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2

Still trying to figure this out. It also seems my "lightdm-kde-greeter" has disappeared. Is that what I should have installed, or "lightdm-kde-greeter-settings", or both? Thanks for the help.

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 Aug 2017 23:13

I split off your topic - that way its more obvious that you are looking for help. Let's keep the other thread to rather short bug messages. I know, they weren't always short before ... anyway, a new thread is always better.
stonedaze wrote:I forgot to mention, i'm using KDE desktop...is that still the same update icon I need?

Probably not - sorry that I mssed the "k". To be honest, I'm not much help if it's KDE ...
I do have "lightdm" and "lightdm-gtk-greeter" installed, but not "lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings". Is that correct?
It also seems my "lightdm-kde-greeter" has disappeared. Is that what I should have installed, or "lightdm-kde-greeter-settings", or both?

gtk usually means xfce so that's wrong, kde is right. Please post the dpkg --list output of all packages involved in your troubles:

dpkg -l solyd*
dpkg -l lightdm*

stonedaze

Re: KDE upgrade script did not work, help needed

Postby stonedaze » 09 Aug 2017 23:53

Thanks for the help. I think my main problem is with solydk system adjustments. This is the output I get:

user@athlon64 ~ $ dpkg -l solyd*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                       Version            Architecture       Description
+++-==========================-==================-==================-=========================================================
un  solydk-artwork             <none>             <none>             (no description available)
rc  solydk-grub2-theme         1.0.4              all                Grub2 theme for SolydK
un  solydk-info                <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydk-info-8              <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydk-info-9              <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydk-lightdm-adjustments <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydk-system-adjustments  <none>             <none>             (no description available)
ic  solydk-system-adjustments- 2.7.3              all                Adjustments specific to SolydK (version 8, jessie).
iF  solydk-system-adjustments- 2.8.8              all                Adjustments specific to SolydK (version 9, stretch).
un  solydkbe-artwork           <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydkbe-grub2-theme       <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydkbe-lightdm-adjustmen <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydkbe-system-adjustment <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydkbo-artwork           <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydkbo-grub2-theme       <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydkbo-lightdm-adjustmen <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydkbo-system-adjustment <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydl-system-adjustments- <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydx-grub2-theme         <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydx-info                <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydx-info-8              <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydx-info-9              <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydx-system-adjustments  <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydx-system-adjustments- <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydx-system-adjustments- <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydxbe-grub2-theme       <none>             <none>             (no description available)
ii  solydxk-flashplugin        26.0.0.151         amd64              Adobe Flash plugin 64-bit for Firefox.
un  solydxk-flashplugin-11     <none>             <none>             (no description available)
un  solydxk-flashplugin-9      <none>             <none>             (no description available)
ii  solydxk-keyring            2016.03.29         all                GnuPG key of the SolydXK repository
un  solydxk-locale             <none>             <none>             (no description available)
ii  solydxk-mozilla-evolvere-i 0.1.2              all                Evolvere desktop icon theme for Mozilla Firefox and Thund
un  solydxk-sws                <none>             <none>             (no description available)
ii  solydxk-system             3.0.0b2.6          all                SolidXK System Base Package
ii  solydxk-welcome            1.3.8              all                Welcome screen for SoldyXK
user@athlon64 ~ $

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 10 Aug 2017 06:14

I'm sorry to hear that your upgrade went this wrong. I didn't know it was even possible to have both adjustments packages installed because version 9 conflicts with version 8 and should only install after version 8 is not installed. Anyway, let's first try to remove all the system packages:

apt update
apt purge solydk-system-adjustments* solydxk-system
apt install -f

If there are any error messages, post back the terminal output here. If not, you can install the system packages:

apt install solydxk-system solydk-system-adjustments-9

Again, post back the terminal output if there were errors.

Btw, lightdm-gtk-greeter is also used on SolydK to keep the overall design similar of both Solyds. Use lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings to change the settings.

If this doesn't get your system stable perhaps you need to consider a fresh install. :cry:

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

stonedaze

Postby stonedaze » 10 Aug 2017 15:56

Ever since I installed "pk-update-icon" I have to wait about 10 minutes until I'm not locked out of Synaptic or 'apt-get' commands.

Trying to uninstall gives me:

user@athlon64 ~ $ sudo apt purge solydk-system-adjustments* solydxk-system
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'solydk-system-adjustments-10' for glob 'solydk-system-adjustments*'
Note, selecting 'solydk-system-adjustments' for glob 'solydk-system-adjustments*'
Note, selecting 'solydk-system-adjustments-8' for glob 'solydk-system-adjustments*'
Note, selecting 'solydk-system-adjustments-9' for glob 'solydk-system-adjustments*'
Package 'solydk-system-adjustments' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'solydk-system-adjustments-10' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  evolvere-icon-theme-additional evolvere-icon-theme-blue-folders-flat-vivid evolvere-icon-theme-blue-folders-flat-vivid-dark
  gtkhash gtkhash-common haveged libhavege1 liblightdm-qt-3-0 python3-dateutil solydxk-mozilla-evolvere-icon-theme
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  solydk-system-adjustments-8* solydk-system-adjustments-9* solydxk-system*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 11.1 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 257583 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing solydk-system-adjustments-9 (2.8.8) ...
  when removing 'diversion of /usr/share/wallpapers/joy_inksplat/contents/images/1280x1024.png by solydk-system-adjustments-9'
  found 'diversion of /usr/share/wallpapers/joy_inksplat/contents/images/1280x1024.png to /usr/share/wallpapers/joy_inksplat/contents/images/1280x1024.png.divert by solydk-system-adjustments'
dpkg: error processing package solydk-system-adjustments-9 (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
Removing solydxk-system (3.0.0b2.6) ...
 solydk-system-adjustments-9

I noticed all those symlinks are missing from my /usr/share/wallpapers folder. I wrote them all down last night from my laptop and might try to manually create them today to see if that helps.

EDIT: Creating all the correct symlinks in my /usr/share/wallpapers folder didn't help and I still get the same errors about "diversion of /usr/share/wallpapers...etc.
One bit of good news, my Grub wallpaper and list is now correct showing I have SolydK 9 installed. I was able to uninstall 'pk-update-icon' and I do have 'packagekit' and 'discover' installed, but I'm still missing the upgrade notification icon and it's nowhere to be found in system tray settings. Also, my lightdm options which should be under 'Desktop Behavior' settings is still missing.

stonedaze

Postby stonedaze » 10 Aug 2017 19:25

I deleted solydk-system-adjustments-9 .prerm and .postinst files from /var/lib/dpkg/info and tried to purge again...this time I got:

user@athlon64 ~ $ sudo apt-get --force-yes purge solydk-system-adjustments*
[sudo] password for user:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'solydk-system-adjustments-10' for glob 'solydk-system-adjustments*'
Note, selecting 'solydk-system-adjustments' for glob 'solydk-system-adjustments*'
Note, selecting 'solydk-system-adjustments-8' for glob 'solydk-system-adjustments*'
Note, selecting 'solydk-system-adjustments-9' for glob 'solydk-system-adjustments*'
Package 'solydk-system-adjustments' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'solydk-system-adjustments-10' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  evolvere-icon-theme-additional evolvere-icon-theme-blue-folders-flat-vivid evolvere-icon-theme-blue-folders-flat-vivid-dark gtkhash gtkhash-common haveged
  libhavege1 liblightdm-qt-3-0 python3-dateutil solydxk-mozilla-evolvere-icon-theme
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
  solydk-system-adjustments-8* solydk-system-adjustments-9*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 10.0 MB disk space will be freed.
(Reading database ... 257616 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing solydk-system-adjustments-9 (2.8.8) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1) ...
Processing triggers for fontconfig (2.11.0-6.7+b1) ...
(Reading database ... 257311 files and directories currently installed.)
Purging configuration files for solydk-system-adjustments-9 (2.8.8) ...
dpkg: warning: while removing solydk-system-adjustments-9, directory '/etc/skel/.local/share' not empty so not removed
dpkg: warning: while removing solydk-system-adjustments-9, directory '/etc/skel/.gnupg' not empty so not removed
dpkg: warning: while removing solydk-system-adjustments-9, directory '/etc/skel/.config' not empty so not removed
Purging configuration files for solydk-system-adjustments-8 (2.7.3) ...
user@athlon64 ~ $

That seems to have purged any leftover adjustments-8 files along with adjustments-9, and the dpkg list now shows:

user@athlon64 ~ $ dpkg -l solyd*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                Version                Architecture           Description
+++-===================================-======================-======================-============================================================================
rc  solydk-grub2-theme                  1.0.4                  all                    Grub2 theme for SolydK
un  solydkbe-grub2-theme                <none>                 <none>                 (no description available)
un  solydkbo-grub2-theme                <none>                 <none>                 (no description available)
un  solydx-grub2-theme                  <none>                 <none>                 (no description available)
un  solydxbe-grub2-theme                <none>                 <none>                 (no description available)
ii  solydxk-flashplugin                 26.0.0.151             amd64                  Adobe Flash plugin 64-bit for Firefox.
un  solydxk-flashplugin-11              <none>                 <none>                 (no description available)
un  solydxk-flashplugin-9               <none>                 <none>                 (no description available)
ii  solydxk-keyring                     2016.03.29             all                    GnuPG key of the SolydXK repository
un  solydxk-locale                      <none>                 <none>                 (no description available)
ii  solydxk-mozilla-evolvere-icon-theme 0.1.2                  all                    Evolvere desktop icon theme for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
un  solydxk-sws                         <none>                 <none>                 (no description available)
ic  solydxk-system                      3.0.0b2.6              all                    SolidXK System Base Package
ii  solydxk-welcome                     1.3.8                  all                    Welcome screen for SoldyXK
user@athlon64 ~ $

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'd like to reboot but I'm not sure if that would be safe since I'm missing all the SolydK system and adjustment packages at the moment, but it looks like a step in the right direction.

stonedaze

Postby stonedaze » 10 Aug 2017 22:22

Well, I found that installing solydxk-system always gives me a dpkg error about a broken pipe and installing solydk-system-adjustments-9 gives me the same error as before so I started from scratch and set my sources back to Jessie and installed both Solydk programs and ran the upgrade script again. This time I saw the error in the upgrade script when it tried to remove system-adjustments-8:

solydk-system-adjustments-8*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 9,705 kB disk space will be freed.
(Reading database ... 241461 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing solydk-system-adjustments-8 (2.7.3) ...
  when removing 'diversion of /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js by solydk-system-adjustments-8'
  found 'diversion of /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js to /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js.divert by solydk-system-adjustments'
dpkg: error processing package solydk-system-adjustments-8 (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
 solydk-system-adjustments-8

I believe that's the root of all my problems, but not sure how to fix it. Trying to avoid a clean install here. :D

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”