Some issues with the newest SolydK 20130823

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Cigam

Some issues with the newest SolydK 20130823

Postby Cigam » 25 Aug 2013 22:42

I am new to this distro but really like the idea of a rolling release and I love the KDE desktop, so am looking forward to a long use of this distro. But my first issue is I had a friends desktop that had Netrunner 12.10 installed on it, and I went through the SolydK setup andjust assigned the / directory for it to format while installing, but it had a grub error. So I restarted, and in the installer menu I picked edit partitions and formatted the / partition and left the home partition alone, and went through the install and this time it worked, but when I had rebooted to boot into the system it said no bootable device found.... After some research I noticed that the / partition did NOT have the "boot" flag enabled. Once I enabled the boot flag it worked perfectly fine. So you need to have it set the boot flag otherwise it probably wont work when doing an install like that.

Second issue is it changed my firefox setup in the home directory and I had to manually recreate the profile.ini file, but it also looks like the bookmarks are gone, but I could be wrong on that I am going to be doing another install later on a newer laptop and see if I have similar issues, but I wanted to at least point out that boot flag issue. Becuase non tech people would not have been able to figure it out.

I really look forward to this distro but I think I will have some program requests later. like solaar http://www.webupd8.org/2013/07/pair-unp ... vices.html and the netflix pipelight http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipeligh ... linux.html Other than that I need to research more but your distro seems to include nearly all I need.

Cheers

ScottQuier

Re: Some issues with the newest SolydK 20130823

Postby ScottQuier » 26 Aug 2013 11:18

Cigam wrote: Second issue is it changed my firefox setup in the home directory and I had to manually recreate the profile.ini file, but it also looks like the bookmarks are gone, but I could be wrong on that I am going to be doing another install later on a newer laptop and see if I have similar issues, but I wanted to at least point out that boot flag issue. Becuase non tech people would not have been able to figure it out.

Cheers
I can't talk to your first issue, but the second one .... Well it's generally a bad idea to use the same /home/UserName for two or more distros. They tend to walk all over each other, over-write configurations, etc. There are a number of ways to install multiple distros without over-writing user data, but application configurations might be a bit more problematic.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Cigam

Postby Cigam » 26 Aug 2013 14:29

Well this is the ONLY distro I have ever had where it erased my old profile and replaced it with a new one, so I lost thousands of bookmarks and everything, so I am not very happy at the moment. but the SolydK distro should check and see if the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders exist, and if they do, then have it NOT write out any solydk profile, because I lost all my stuff with it replacing it. and I have used dozens of distros and never had this happen... I was able to get some my things back but I am not very impressed at the moment, but we will see how it goes from here.

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 26 Aug 2013 14:51

Sorry to hear of your problems. Agreed it not good to loose your old bookmarks, and this may not be of no help to you now, of course. In the future perhaps its a good idea to save your bookmarks to html. In Firefox (and Chrome) very easy.

[rimg]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8311/usjt.png[/rimg]

If you have another distro loaded with the bookmarks intact. Go there and save them and then import to your SolydXK browser..
I learned to always keep a backup. You never can tell...
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

Cigam

Postby Cigam » 26 Aug 2013 14:55

well my main profile was saved and it had the important bookmarks, but this problem needs to be fixed for future people.

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 26 Aug 2013 14:58

Agreed, but this is the first time its been reported. Thanks for the report... :)
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

Snap

Postby Snap » 26 Aug 2013 15:18

Well this is the ONLY distro I have ever had where it erased my old profile and replaced it with a new one, so I lost thousands of bookmarks and everything, so I am not very happy at the moment. but the SolydK distro should check and see if the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders exist, and if they do, then have it NOT write out any solydk profile
Well, I never trust any distro (or OS for extension) for this kind of things. I commonly use cross-platform software as much as possible to be able to migrate data and settings from PC to PC or system to system. When migrating I always backup everything before doing anything. It may sound like an overkill, because it's hardly ever needed to recover anything, but sometimes happens, That day you may want to call it a predictable disaster.

Although Solyd should solve this. Better never blindly trust any distro for these tasks. Every single one of them warns you about backing up all your important stuff before installing it or upgrading it for one good reason. Some day you'll thank yourself for your regular backups, for sure.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Cigam

Postby Cigam » 26 Aug 2013 16:05

I actually have a backup of all of my data except for the firefox profiles, (most of the hidden folders actually) but all my important data I backup, but I need to get into backing up all the hidden folders too, but even with the issues of resetting up my profiles for mozilla and thunderbird. I do like this distro a lot and plan on using it as my main distro from now on.

Bequimão

Postby Bequimão » 26 Aug 2013 16:15

[quote="Cigam"... After some research I noticed that the / partition did NOT have the "boot" flag enabled. Once I enabled the boot flag it worked perfectly fine. So you need to have it set the boot flag otherwise it probably wont work when doing an install like that.
Cheers[/quote]

That is a bad idea. You should always install grub to the MBR and not to partition. Then it does not matter if the boot flag is set or not. Installation to partition is no longer supported!

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub
will help!

Best regards,
Bequimão

Cigam

Postby Cigam » 26 Aug 2013 16:20

it was installed on the /dev/sda MBR but it was not booting, not sure why though, but on my laptop when I installed it, it worked perfectly fine. But I thought the /dev/sda1 had to have the boot flag because thats where the grub folder and data is stored otherwise it didnt know what to get the boot files from?

wayne

Postby wayne » 27 Aug 2013 08:34

Boot flag is the windows boot loader thing.

Linux boot loader does not need boot flag.

Now that you have it working, you can run Live, gparted , disable boot flag and test if it is still booting normally.

Also, I have not have trouble installing Linux boot loader (lilo, grub legacy and grub 2) onto root partition, eventhough grub2 dev will give the warning. I do that all the time so that the Linux partition is chainloadable, when it is chainloadable I can use grub legacy or even windows boot loader to boot that Linux partition.

tuxdude

Postby tuxdude » 27 Aug 2013 08:49

I use the firefox inbuilt sync tool as well as backing up data. I have found it to work well when jumping between distros, just a thought.

Cigam

Postby Cigam » 27 Aug 2013 14:00

ill test the boot flag later, but on that one computer at least it has to have the boot flag for some reason. but I dont use many "sync" features because I dont trust online storage. Also a separate issue, with my Logitech 325 tweet tweet mouse, when I try scrolling in the synaptic windows, it does not work. I have to grab the slider and move it, since the scroll wheel does nothing, but in other programs it works fine. what would cause that?

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 27 Aug 2013 14:15

Cigam wrote:Also a separate issue, with my Logitech 325 tweet tweet mouse, when I try scrolling in the synaptic windows, it does not work. I have to grab the slider and move it, since the scroll wheel does nothing, but in other programs it works fine. what would cause that?
that is a known issue that affects several users (but apparently not others) since the latest UP. it's not something specific to your install/hardware.
bliss of ignorance

Snap

Postby Snap » 27 Aug 2013 15:23

It happens here too. Not only in Synaptic. Some other apps too. Curiously The back and forward butons work right out of the box. Something that needs to be configured to work in most KDE distros I tested. Weird. That about the mouse wheel is quite common in Xfce as far as I can tell from my tests, but never saw it in KDE before.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 27 Aug 2013 21:46

Snap wrote:Not only in Synaptic. Some other apps too
can you name other app where you can replicate this?
bliss of ignorance

max

Postby max » 30 Aug 2013 22:26

zerozero wrote:can you name other app where you can replicate this?
Deadbeef behaves this way as well. If I hold any mouse button down while scrolling with the wheel it works in all instances I've seen this. Any idea what could be causing it?

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 30 Aug 2013 23:28

max wrote:Any idea what could be causing it?
hello max, welcome to the forums 8-)
indeed :D pressing any mouse button enables again scrolling (while the button is pressed): tested in synaptic.
i think that it doesn't register the wheel mouse focus thus doesn't scroll.

they are both gtk3 app. can this be the trigging issue?
other gtk3 app commonly used here in SolydXK are transmission, gedit.
can this bogus behaviour be replicated there as well?
bliss of ignorance

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”