My ohh My ! Why ?!

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
cristy78

My ohh My ! Why ?!

Postby cristy78 » 11 Sep 2013 00:59

Hello fellows !
- All things running very smooth with SolydK but I do have a problem that is bugging me :

I need to be able to make my laptop to work nice with my (smart)phone ( Samsung Note 2 ) . I need to be able to transfer large files and I can do that only with USB cable. ( airDroid is not an option). My problem is like that :

- I put Kio-mtp and the phone will be recognized by system. Everything will be perfect except one thing - Dolphin will take 2-3-4 seconds to open. Unacceptable.
- I remove Kio-mtp, Dolphin is very snappy. The phone will not be correctly seen and transferring files is not possible.

To be honest this is the only issue I have with SK but I need to be able to use MTP flawless. I am thinking that maybe it is a KDE problem.
So, any ideas or solutions ?

ScottQuier

Re: My ohh My ! Why ?!

Postby ScottQuier » 11 Sep 2013 11:00

Not a KDE problem as I have, essentially, the same issue with SolydX. I've not tried the kio-mtp package so I don't know how that will perform on X.

Thankfully, I don't need to transfer large files.

Oh, there are a couple of samba applications on Google Play. And, I did find one ftp app. Though I don't know that they will be any faster than airDroid.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 11 Sep 2013 17:30

I have not to deal with a mtp device, but I have this link:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... dev#p10743

http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=153
The most common flaw is that the tools use an MTP library call that attempts to enumerate
the entire device filesystem in one go. This causes the initial connection to be very
slow, and on the newest Android devices, it flat out doesn’t work, as the phone end will
timeout the operation before it completes. This ends up taking out every single tool on
the market

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 12 Sep 2013 04:51

a good way to get around MTP issue is to install mtpfs from debian sid.
Its how I got my android to connect to Solyd (though I do hope the mtpfs package is made standard on Solyd in the future)

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Sep 2013 08:22

What's MTP? Is that for Android phones only? My Blackberry connects perfectly well as an USB mass storage device. The same for my Sony camera. Plug and go.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

NGIB

Postby NGIB » 12 Sep 2013 10:27

Snap wrote:What's MTP? Is that for Android phones only? My Blackberry connects perfectly well as an USB mass storage device. The same for my Sony camera. Plug and go.
It's a protocol which allows more control over the attached device. Many devices allow MTP or MSC (mass storage) type connections and the MSC type connect basically sees your device as just a storage device like a thumb drive...

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Sep 2013 11:19

Understood. Thank you!
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”