restore qualculator in the runner

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
francesco312

restore qualculator in the runner

Postby francesco312 » 16 Sep 2013 10:37

Hi
I have updated SolydK to the latest UP, with the latest version of KDE and all; everything worked fine; wonderful as usual.

Just one thing I have noticed: the calculator inside the runner (which you obtain by clicking alt+F2 or from the menu, by starting the command with "=") has reverted to a fairly standard calculator, which can only do basic operations. I was used to the runner using instead Qualculate, which allowed much more complex operations to be used, including functions (sqrt,ln); constants (both mathematical and physical) and units of measure, as indicated here: http://sciencekde.wordpress.com/2010/12 ... or-runner/
I found that really useful and used it a lot (since I study physics), without having to get my pocket calculator etc; is it possible to restore that feature, which is one of the many things that make KDE so wonderful? otherwise, since from what I understand that depends on compiling options, could you help me with that?
TIA

kyodev

Re: restore qualculator in the runner

Postby kyodev » 18 Sep 2013 09:20

nice feature, I did not know

it's Santa from siduction who make the packages.
http://siduction.org/index.php?name=PNp ... pic&t=3781
indeed, it would be sufficient to recomplie kde-baseapps?
who ask him?

francesco312

Postby francesco312 » 18 Sep 2013 10:25

I've posted on that forum thanks for the information
http://siduction.org/index.php?name=PNp ... 2538#32538

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 20 Sep 2013 08:10

kyodev wrote:it would be sufficient to recomplie kde-baseapps?
no no. kde-baseapps is a meta-package, it just install:
dolphin (>= 4:4.11.1-90r1),
kde-baseapps-bin (>= 4:4.11.1-90r1),
kdepasswd (>= 4:4.11.1-90r1),
kfind (>= 4:4.11.1-90r1),
konqueror (>= 4:4.11.1-90r1),
konsole, kwrite,
plasma-widget-folderview (>= 4:4.11.1-90r1)

but plasma-runners-addons:
This package contains the following runners:
* Audio Player Control
* Calendar Events
* Contacts
* Date and Time
* Kate Sessions
* KDE TechBase
* KDE Userbase Documentation
* Konqueror Sessions
* Konsole Sessions
* Kopete Contacts
* Special Characters
* Spell Checker
* Unit Converter
* Web Browser History
* Wikipedia
* Wikitravel

it can be installed alone or it can be installed with meta-package kdeplasma-addons:
I try install plasma-runners-addons, logOff/On, set krunner but it don't work.

curious because libqalculate5 is installed on my Pc, but plasma-runners-addons seems use libkunitconversion4(apt show plasma-runners-addons). It seems the plasma-widgets-addons and kde-workspace-bin use it (apt rdepends libqalculate5).

Santa

Postby Santa » 29 Sep 2013 16:17

francesco312 wrote:Hi
I have updated SolydK to the latest UP, with the latest version of KDE and all; everything worked fine; wonderful as usual.

Just one thing I have noticed: the calculator inside the runner (which you obtain by clicking alt+F2 or from the menu, by starting the command with "=") has reverted to a fairly standard calculator, which can only do basic operations. I was used to the runner using instead Qualculate, which allowed much more complex operations to be used, including functions (sqrt,ln); constants (both mathematical and physical) and units of measure, as indicated here: http://sciencekde.wordpress.com/2010/12 ... or-runner/
I found that really useful and used it a lot (since I study physics), without having to get my pocket calculator etc; is it possible to restore that feature, which is one of the many things that make KDE so wonderful? otherwise, since from what I understand that depends on compiling options, could you help me with that?
TIA
Hello francesco,

I could reproduce your problem, however, kde-workspace is already being built against libqalculate, kde-workspace-bin depends on libqalculate5 as it should be and even the file which I believe should provide the functionality which you are missing is linked against libqalculate5, you can check it yourself with:

Code: Select all

$ ldd /usr/lib/kde4/krunner_calculatorrunner.so | grep qalc
        libqalculate.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqalculate.so.5 (0x00007f9313381000)
So, I tend to think this is a KDE bug and not a packaging issue. I could try to find out what's going on after I'm done with 4.11.2 in siduction and SolydK.
Sometimes, standing for what you believe means standing alone.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”